Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

The Fujifilm FinePix X100 has arrived! (Interactive review!)

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

MeanGreeny
16 Mar 2011 - 2:31 PM

Quote: A 1000 quid for that i dont think so. some muppets will buy anthing for style it would have to look a pentax k5 or nikon d7000 for that money.

Depends - its horses for courses.

The Fuji will do things in a way that an SLR cannot - and vice versa. Don't be sooooooooooooo judgemental.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
16 Mar 2011 - 2:31 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

joshwa
joshwa ePHOTOzine Staff 3596 forum postsjoshwa vcard United Kingdom
16 Mar 2011 - 2:33 PM

Added some sample photos - indoor / outdoor - weather is pretty awful today.
Added studio shots in different lighting.

Last Modified By joshwa at 16 Mar 2011 - 2:37 PM
joshwa
16 Mar 2011 - 3:55 PM

More sample photos and a full range of ISO speeds added:
http://www.ephotozine.com/article/fujifilm-finepix-x100-15857

pabloisme
pabloisme  4565 forum posts England
16 Mar 2011 - 3:56 PM

this looks like the cameras I looked at but couldnt afford in the late 50's & early 60's
I for one would be a muppet and have a good look at it, not 100% sure I would spring top money for it, just got a canon G12 and like it a lot, & it is with me all the time, alas I am still trying to relive my yoof when I saved me cash for a leica, after the rolleiflex. the fuji looks as it may have some good points ie the BIG viewfinder.

I have always found the your shooting style is like the camera (or gun you use, & I bet there are a few who would shoot clays with a uzi Grin)

you cant do a bresson, brassai style with a dslr! well I cant (get close BUT..... ) Wink

Last Modified By pabloisme at 16 Mar 2011 - 3:58 PM
User_Removed
16 Mar 2011 - 5:09 PM

I've posted this on the review discussion but it needs repeating here (you'll need to go to the review to see the pics):

I think that the head and shoulders shots of the young lady illustrate the stupidity of putting a 23mm fixed lens (equivalent to 35mm on a 35mm camera) in a camera with a CMOS sensor. The "natural" size would be about 30-35mm (equivalent to 50mm on a 35mm camera).

I am sure that the girl's nose is not as huge at it appears in the photographs and the perspective distortion from such a short-focus lens must really make her feel a bit peeved.

How did Fuji make such a gross error?

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318433 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
16 Mar 2011 - 5:14 PM

Quote: How did Fuji make such a gross error?

Interesting point - and certainly makes it less useful for close up portrait, but as a street camera, which I think is where it will appeal, the subjects are more likely to appreciate the use of 35mm, and certainly the shooting conditions. In the old days 35mm as a really popular second lens option.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314915 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
16 Mar 2011 - 5:17 PM

Considering the Nikon/Fuji collaboration in recent years is there any truth in the rumer`s of Nikon CLS being compatible or being made compatible with the x100, I don`t as yet know a great deal of Fuji`s new flash system.

Quote: some muppets will buy anthing for style it would have to look a pentax k5 or nikon d7000 for that money

Like those of us who had/have a love of expensive fixed lens rangefinder`s from the film era Smile

The x100 has been a massive talking point amongst street shooter`s everywhere, I for one would love one.

joshwa
16 Mar 2011 - 6:36 PM

Since my last post on here, I added the film simulation modes. I've also check the weather, and there might be some sunshine tomorrow - so hopefully I'll be able to get some better day time / outside shots. Smile

MediumSizeUnavailable

Quote: Hey, if the site wants someone to do a street photography test with it, I'll do it!

seconded

I mean him, not me.

I would like to see a review with no images of the camera, or even images of another, rather ugly camera. would make it easier to put things into perspective. It's like talking to a gorgeous looking woman. I just can't put her qualities (or faults) as a person into perspective whilst staring at so much beauty.

oh, and could you check if it's possible to unscrew the screen in the back, or even whack it out with a hammer, so that one could possibly use it as a swivelscreen?

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314915 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
16 Mar 2011 - 8:06 PM

Quote: seconded

I mean him, not me

Chicken Smile

Would be interesting to see how its stacks up against the EP1, another with supposedly slow auto focusing.

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 16 Mar 2011 - 8:08 PM
joshwa
16 Mar 2011 - 8:38 PM

Added some notes about battery life / and focusing speed to the review. They basically say this (page 22 in the manual), paraphrased:

OVF power saving (option in the menu on/off): Doubles battery life, but slows autofocus to 0.4 from 0.2 seconds. Focusing time varies with subject.

Quick start mode (option in menu on/off): Startup time should be 0.7 seconds instead of 2.2 seconds. But will be 2.2 seconds if the camera is left off for more than 20 minutes. The camera requires longer to startup when a short focus distance is selected for manual focus. Switching the quick start mode ON reduces battery life.

So, reading between the lines, I suspect focus is slower for close subjects (makes sense as the lens has to extend further to focus on the closer subject), and switching the quick start mode on means that the camera is in a sleep mode for 20 minutes when you switch it off, rather than actually being off.

Another interesting snippet I found in the manual, page 106: "Playback: Problem: Pictures are grainy. Solution: The pictures were taken with a different make or model of camera." Grin

Paul Morgan
16 Mar 2011 - 8:41 PM

Quote: Another interesting snippet I found in the manual, page 106: "Playback: Problem: Pictures are grainy. Solution: The pictures were taken with a different make or model of camera."

Smile

MediumSizeUnavailable

ha ha... I bet someone at Fuji had fun writing that Grin

uzi9mm
uzi9mm  378 forum posts United Kingdom
17 Mar 2011 - 12:02 AM

you get what you pay for

spaceman
spaceman  105166 forum posts Wales3 Constructive Critique Points
17 Mar 2011 - 12:45 AM

Sometimes you get more. Or less.

A grand for a camera that has a non-interchangable lens. Hmm.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.