Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

The Fujifilm FinePix X100 has arrived! (Interactive review!)

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1023091 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
17 Mar 2011 - 7:03 AM

Though I'd like to see how it performed in the real world and I applaud Fuji for releasing it. I just can't see any substantial market for this camera.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
17 Mar 2011 - 7:03 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

joshwa
joshwa ePHOTOzine Staff 4602 forum postsjoshwa vcard United Kingdom
17 Mar 2011 - 7:18 AM

Regarding the lens, the Sigma DP1 is 28mm equivalent, the DP2, 41mm equivalent, and the Leica X1 35mm equivalent.

However, all of these, and the Mirrorless ILC cameras (NEX, PEN, NX, m43rds), need an optional optical viewfinder, and then if you do use an optical viewfinder, you're limited to a specific lens. If you want an electronic viewfinder for any of these, it's an additional expense, if available.

The unique strengths of the X100 are the combination of optical (and electronic) viewfinder built into the body, with the DSLR (APS-C) sized sensor. If they went with a zoom lens the camera would need to be bigger, and the optical / electronic viewfinder combined may not have worked (or been much larger, or been an optional add-on electronic viewfinder).

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1023091 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
17 Mar 2011 - 8:32 AM

Fuji won't sell this to the general Market with a fixed lens. So how many DSLR users will shell out a grand on what will be a second camera?

joshwa
17 Mar 2011 - 10:25 AM

Sample video added to the review - continuous focus mode - it's quite quiet when focusing.

joshwa
17 Mar 2011 - 11:23 AM

Added shots taken at different apertures.

skuzzbag
skuzzbag  4
17 Mar 2011 - 12:25 PM

I suppose my main concern is that the images so far don't look too sharp. Are these unprocessed (apart from colour) RAW images? I'd expect at 1000 with a decent sized sensor for it to blow something like the LX3 (my last experience with a compact) out of the water but I'm not seeing that at all!

spaceman
spaceman  105166 forum posts Wales3 Constructive Critique Points
17 Mar 2011 - 12:50 PM

I don't understand why the film equivalents from Leica, Contax, Voightlander etc, have interchangable lenses but these digital cameras don't.

joshwa
17 Mar 2011 - 1:15 PM

Quote: I suppose my main concern is that the images so far don't look too sharp. Are these unprocessed (apart from colour) RAW images? I'd expect at 1000 with a decent sized sensor for it to blow something like the LX3 (my last experience with a compact) out of the water but I'm not seeing that at all!

These are JPEGs straight from the camera - stopped down the images get much sharper - the camera is on default settings. There are options to alter colour, sharpness, highlight tone, shadow tone, and much more beyond this. I suspect sharper images will come straight out of the camera as JPEGs with sharpness turned up. All shots have been taken as RAW as well (Although due to lack of processing software and size I haven't uploaded these onto the site).

joshwa
17 Mar 2011 - 2:54 PM

Added views through the optical/hybrid/electronic viewfinder and rear screen. Hopefully this should show what the main hybrid optical viewfinder feature "looks" like in real use. Smile

Hynee
Hynee  3
17 Mar 2011 - 4:33 PM

Hi first post here.
I'd like to see a landscape shot (or anything focused further than 5-10m) at f/2. I'd like to see how good the lens is wide open, with the centre, edges and corner all in focus, but all the f/2 sample shots I've seen around the web are closeup shots with lots of bokeh at the edges.
The f/2 macro shot in this review is quite low contrast even in the centre, but the lens may not be designed for that aperture at that distance. (Macro is generally stopped down anyway.)

joshwa
17 Mar 2011 - 4:34 PM

We will be adding more shots shortly Smile

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315463 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
17 Mar 2011 - 5:48 PM

Quote: I don't understand why the film equivalents from Leica, Contax, Voightlander etc, have interchangable lenses but these digital cameras don't

There all system camera`s, the range finder equivalent of the slr, but there was no shortage of fixed lens rangefinders made, Olympus, Canon etc, the x100 is the digital equivalent of the former and many of these would have been just as expensive in there day.

Quote: I suppose my main concern is that the images so far don't look too sharp

Could you put a few raw images up in the download section.

dcash29
dcash29  81908 forum posts England
17 Mar 2011 - 6:04 PM

Old fashioned......new fashion for gadget mad youngsters and a trip back to the good old days for the older generation

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315463 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
17 Mar 2011 - 6:28 PM

Quote: Old fashioned......new fashion

Its simply the modern digital version of any of these.

http://www.cameraquest.com/olysp.htm http://www.cameraquest.com/canql17.htm http://www.cameraquest.com/yash35cc.htm http://www.cameraquest.com/min7s2.htm

dcash29
dcash29  81908 forum posts England
17 Mar 2011 - 6:50 PM

Quote: Its simply the modern digital version of any of these.

Yeah i know, my point being fashion has come full circle. I still cant see what all the fuss is about.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.