Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

The Fujifilm FinePix X100 has arrived! (Interactive review!)

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
MediumSizeUnavailable

Quote: Then it would be pretty much the same as every thing else already available

but isn't it quite a lot better photo quality-wise than most (all) other digital cameras of that size Paul, which makes it stand out and different. I mean, as I understand it, nothing else of this size delivers this quality and great high iso results.

Quote: As for lenses I understand there`s going to be a couple of adapters, wide and telephoto, nice and compact to slip in the pocket and a whole lot cheaper than conventional lenses

Well, that that would significantly raise my interest. do you have some more information about this Paul ?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
19 Mar 2011 - 2:09 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
19 Mar 2011 - 2:20 PM

Quote: As for lenses I understand there`s going to be a couple of adapters, wide and telephoto, nice and compact to slip in the pocket and a whole lot cheaper than conventional lenses

In my mind once you start getting into attachments and extras you may as well have bought an interchangeable lens model. I'm using the Olympus EP2 at the moment and I have the fixed 17mm (34mm in 35mm terms) attached. It's great fun and makes you think a bit more about what you're doing. In the 70s there were some great cameras around like the Olympus RC, Ricoh RF etc that are still sought after and this camera has taken elements of them and brought it to the digital age.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
19 Mar 2011 - 2:22 PM

Quote: but isn't it quite a lot better photo quality-wise than most (all) other digital cameras of that size

Whether or not that is the case - but to assume for argument's sake it is - by the reason of its fixed, non-zoom lens it is also more limited than other compacts and M4/3 cameras. So you pays and money and takes your choice; quite a lot of money in this case.

And will you notice the extra quality over (say) an M4/3 device in anything other than a large enlargement? (I leave the question hanging in the air! Wink)

keith selmes
19 Mar 2011 - 4:34 PM

Rather like the highly regarded Konica Hexar AF. A slightly wide lens, nice big built in viewfinder at the end of the body.
If its as good as it looks it has a market.

A Leica M9 is upwards of 4000 body only, and if your not satisfied with the build quality and ergonomics on Micro 4/3 cameras, this fuji is your obvious low cost choice. Comparitively speaking Grin

Nice thing is, if it suddenly becomes obsolete/worthless/irrepairable/whatever as digital cameras are supposed to do, it will still look good in a glass case Smile

Quote: will you notice the extra quality

I think you'll notice the build quality, and you'll notice they put a real viewfinder where its supposed to be.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315238 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
19 Mar 2011 - 4:59 PM

Quote: but isn't it quite a lot better photo quality-wise than most (all) other digital cameras of that size Paul

On par but not better I`d say, when the EP1 came out images equalled and in some cases had the edge over entry level Canon/Nikon dslr`s.

Quote: In my mind once you start getting into attachments and extras you may as well have bought an interchangeable lens model

Like an M8, and with each exrtra lens or at least a lot of them, you would also need to buy a finder the slots into the flash shoe.

Its still a good saving in weight/bulk, and how much extra would an f2 telephoto or wide angle cost as fully interchangeable lenses, a fair bit.

Quote: I'm using the Olympus EP2 at the moment and I have the fixed 17mm (34mm in 35mm terms) attached. It's great fun and makes you think a bit more about what you're doing

Just what I`m after even an EP1 would do, gone through my collection of old glass and dug out an old 50mm Nikon pancake, amongst many others Smile

Quote: In the 70s there were some great cameras around like the Olympus RC, Ricoh RF etc that are still sought after and this camera has taken elements of them and brought it to the digital age

There changing hands for loads of dosh on Ebay, my SP`s loaded with Sensia at the mo, I tried it last year with one of those jack of all wide angle adapter`s via a step up ring and was hard pressed to see a difference in quality, a modern lens adapter on a 40 year old camera Smile

1-lrg-599-1241400382.jpg

Quote: Well, that that would significantly raise my interest. do you have some more information about this Paul

Koen I think I read about it in the questions and answers section on Fuji`s site and it would makes sense Fuji bringing out there own, cash in and get owners of X100 using there`s instead of third parties.

MediumSizeUnavailable

Quote: Whether or not that is the case - but to assume for argument's sake it is...

that was my point CB... considering it is quite a bit better - I really don't know, but the review seems to indicate that it does deliver some amazing results - I was surprised that on the other hand they limited it so much by putting a fixed lens on. so that is why I was wondering if putting an interchangeable lens system on the cam, would automatically influence the (quality) results (downwards). I asked this because frankly I don't know much about this.

Quote: And will you notice the extra quality over (say) an M4/3 device in anything other than a large enlargement?

I understand what you mean CB, and often it won't matter. like when you post on epz at 1000 pixels, it probably won't matter too much. But, ok... I am building a website, and a number of pictures will be show at 1600 pixels on the front page. I think it will start to make a difference there. And well, perhaps I am considering doing big enlargements, perhaps trying to sell large prints of the photos. And lets face it... often we don't get it right in camera, and start cropping.

And the (very) good performance at high iso (the M4/3 and NEX-5 are already quite an improvement vs the compacts, but it seems (seems!) that the x100 basically blows all of them out of the water) opens a lot of shooting possibilities when you like to do street, environmental portraits, reportage. Photos you basically couldn't take before, you now can take (great! more crap photos in the world lol).

Quote: In my mind once you start getting into attachments and extras you may as well have bought an interchangeable lens model. I'm using the Olympus EP2 at the moment and I have the fixed 17mm (34mm in 35mm terms) attached. It's great fun and makes you think a bit more about what you're doing. In the 70s there were some great cameras around like the Olympus RC, Ricoh RF etc that are still sought after and this camera has taken elements of them and brought it to the digital age.

the nex-5 and M4/3 cams (so it seems to me) really appeal to many people and filled a gap. The way I understand it the x100 could have been the undisputed leader in this important market segment... had they fitted it with an interchangeable lens system, like the beforementioned peers. Instead they fitted (limited) it with a fix lens and went for another 'niche'. for which I think there will be a lot smaller audience. So to me it does seem a bit like a strange decision.

ps : again... I do assume a lot regarding the quality. It's actually bits and pieces that pop up in and below the x100 review lol. perhaps they are not all accurate.

Last Modified By MediumSizeUnavailable at 19 Mar 2011 - 5:24 PM
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315238 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
19 Mar 2011 - 6:05 PM

Quote: the nex-5 and M4/3 cams (so it seems to me) really appeal to many people and filled a gap. The way I understand it the x100 could have been the undisputed leader in this important market segment... had they fitted it with an interchangeable lens system

Would that have made a huge difference then Koen, it has an aps c size sensor that is just a little wider than 4/3, these days you would be hard pressed to tell a difference in quality unless your pixel peeping, six months down the line pretty much any new crop sensor would have an edge.

Interchangeable lenses ?, if it wanted that I`d just get M4/3 or a leica Smile

Maybe they should have fitted it with full frame, and charged a grand more, that would make it undisputed leader, fixed lens or not Smile

MediumSizeUnavailable

okay, so you say there is hardly any difference Paul? so, if you would buy one, you would buy it because you can't change the lens?

Paul Morgan
19 Mar 2011 - 7:10 PM

Its already on my list Koen, so yes I would buy one for its fixed lens, I use the 35mm film equivalent, several of them and they have there place, especially on the street Smile

I don`t know how you feel about film, why not pick up a cheap second hand film equivalent to play with just to give yourself some idea, check out car boot sales, charity shops or look on ebay.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
19 Mar 2011 - 7:58 PM

I quite understand sometimes a gadget has a visceral appeal, which you cannot define. I think the Fuji X100 falls into that category.

At this point I have to sheepishly admit to buying the object below for HD video, even though I have two cameras - DSLR and compact - both of which are capable of very good HD video. My excuses are:

(a) I was pleased to find some money, in my PayPal account, I'd forgotten about. Doing what I usually do (viz. transferring to my bank) seemed yawnworthy!
(b) It was only 125................ not 1000.
(c) It was very late at night! Grin

I am kidding myself I shall be using it where very discreet operation is required, because these devices are by no means common and 90%+ of people will think I'm using a mobile phone. But in truth it is an illogical purchase. But I don't regret it................... yet! Wink

flip.jpg

MediumSizeUnavailable

I love film Paul, but I'm just not made for the medium, regrettably. I'm lazy, impatient, I need to litterally 'see' what I photograph, in a little frame, immediately. So digital is the way to go for me, be it with a bleeding heart lol

But it seems like you will use the x100 Paul. But when it won't suit you (when you need to photograph something for which the x100 is not/less suitable) you'll just use one of your other cameras, right? I have a 5D, and I'm trying to fill certain gaps, and acquiring the x100 doesn't really seem to fill those gaps. Partly yes, but not enough.

MediumSizeUnavailable

CB... you emotional gadget freak ! I knew you had a soft side Wink

Paul Morgan
19 Mar 2011 - 9:05 PM

Quote: I have a 5D, and I'm trying to fill certain gaps, and acquiring the x100 doesn't really seem to fill those gaps. Partly yes, but not enough

Look at it this way Koen, stick a 50mm on your 5D and use that, leave everything else at home, if you find it limiting/lacking then the 100x will not be for you.

Quote: But when it won't suit you (when you need to photograph something for which the x100 is not/less suitable) you'll just use one of your other cameras, right?

As I do now, dslr and a rangefinder loaded with film, they each have there place.

At the mo I`m out of work and skint Sad my future plans being M4/3 along side an x100 and get the best of both Smile

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1022919 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna32 Constructive Critique Points
19 Mar 2011 - 9:20 PM

That'll be some job when it comes, Paul!
Grin

Paul Morgan
19 Mar 2011 - 9:37 PM

Lol yes Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.