Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

The Fujifilm FinePix X100 has arrived! (Interactive review!)

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

MediumSizeUnavailable

Quote: Look at it this way Koen, stick a 50mm on your 5D and use that, leave everything else at home, if you find it limiting/lacking then the 100x will not be for you.

well, until now I just had the 24-70mm, and I find that one lacking lol

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
19 Mar 2011 - 10:51 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315157 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
19 Mar 2011 - 11:47 PM

Quote: well, until now I just had the 24-70mm, and I find that one lacking lol

Philip or Morris Smile

Kidding aside, what of bendy screens, I thought you liked them, Pany M4/3 ?

MediumSizeUnavailable

bendy screens?
you mean swivel screens?
for street I love them, but I think the only one that has them is the sony Nex-5 (and it doesn't really swivel completely; just up and down, but not sideways)

KarenFB
KarenFB Junior Gallery Team 84270 forum postsKarenFB vcard England162 Constructive Critique Points
20 Mar 2011 - 9:01 AM

My Canon S3 has one - love it! I don't have to lie down to take low shots! Mine swivels 180 deg to the side of the camera, then I can turn it 180 around so I can point the camera at myself and see the image! Smile

MediumSizeUnavailable

yes Karen, the Canon G12 has one as well. the things you mention are only a few of the many things you can do with them, so I think it's a great feature. But these cams all have a rather small compact sensor and their lens isn't that great. Now that there are a number of cams out on the market that are compact sized but deliver better quality photos, mainly because they have a dslr sensor and good lenses, I was hoping to see the swivelscreen appear on them as well, but apart from the sony NEX-5 (and that one doesn't swivel completely), most of them just have a fixed screen in the back.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315157 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
20 Mar 2011 - 2:08 PM

Quote: yes Karen, the Canon G12 has one as well. the things you mention are only a few of the many things you can do with them, so I think it's a great feature. But these cams all have a rather small compact sensor and their lens isn't that great

Koen, speak to Oliver(bliba)

He uses a G1, one of the M4/3 camera`s, both the G1 and G2 have swivel screens.

see here

These along with EP1`s and EP2`s are popular amongst rangefinder user`s, micro 4/3, Nex and so on can share there leica lenses.

rangefinder forum

MediumSizeUnavailable

yes Paul, I know the G1/2 have swivelscreens. But they are more dslr-alike ergonomics wise. and I'm looking for a little box, something less 'pointy'... but preferably with a swivelscreen, and with a very good sensor inside, and very good glass.
But only the nex-5 offers (partially) a swivelscreen. So I may have to compromise, coz I don't think the GF series will go swivel. the Oly's and the x100 neither, as it just wouldn't go with their retro looks

Paul Morgan
20 Mar 2011 - 7:03 PM

Looks like a compromise the Koen Sad

But what does the Nex 5 have that nothing else offers, apart from chunkier, bulkier and not as compact glass, and no flash shoe.

MediumSizeUnavailable

if I understand the reviews a bit, photo quality is even better then the panys and olys Paul. I never was a fan of Sony, but it does seem to deliver very good photos. There is a sensor advantage. I do prefer the format over the 4/3rd format. High iso seems quite good (though nothing like the x100 - apparently). I do think it's a spit ugly camera though lol, and the glass does worry me a bit. I can't see me walking around with that 18-200 mm on it lol (speak about pointy things!), and the 2 other lenses don't seem that convincing.
but at least that screen tilts a bit lol.

Paul, if you start putting adapters on that x100, for telephoto for example (assuming for a moment they will come available), would that influence the quality a lot? I have no idea about these things really. If that would be possible, and if it wouldn't be excessive cost (doubtfull though), I might take the plunge and go for the x100, and hope that the camera has enough to offer to make me forget about a lack of swivelscreen. Might lol.

Paul Morgan
20 Mar 2011 - 9:05 PM

Quote: Paul, if you start putting adapters on that x100, for telephoto for example (assuming for a moment they will come available), would that influence the quality a lot

Very little if any, if the adapters have been designed with the lens in mind. I even stuck a third party on my SP, quality degraded very little, well none that I could see. I just had a few issues with frame lines not matching and sticking a lens shade on blinded the eye piece Smile

Quote: and if it wouldn't be excessive cost

Cost, even 2/300 quid for a set would be cheap, compared to splashing out for full separate f2 lenses Smile

Paul Morgan
20 Mar 2011 - 9:34 PM

Seems like other`s want the same Smile

http://www.x100forum.com/index.php?/topic/207-wide-angel-adapter-lens/

MediumSizeUnavailable

thanks Paul, but that one is to go wider. I refer to turning it into a portrait lens when needed. what they say here about it is a bit worrying though : /http://www.x100forum.com/index.php?/topic/214-x2-converter-for-occasional-portraits-thoughts/

MediumSizeUnavailable

grrr... only just noticed that the price of 1000 seems to be pounds. That's about 1150 euros Sad
e-mailed a shop here... they expect it beginning of May... price : 1220 Euros Sad Sad

joshwa
joshwa ePHOTOzine Staff 3600 forum postsjoshwa vcard United Kingdom
21 Mar 2011 - 2:16 PM

Added a couple of additional shots - night shot and more trees at f/8.

Paul Morgan
21 Mar 2011 - 4:14 PM

Quote: thanks Paul, but that one is to go wider. I refer to turning it into a portrait lens when needed. what they say here about it is a bit worrying though : /http://www.x100forum.com/index.php?/topic/214-x2-converter-for-occasional-portraits-thoughts

Just checking Amazon, and that throws bits and pieces up Koen

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Polaroid-Extender-filter-sized-telephoto-converter/dp/B0...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Opteka-Professional-Fisheye-Digital-Camera/dp/B001LZJB9Y...

There`s also plenty of wide angle and macro.

But, if it turns out that Fuji are not going to produce there own I`d say use adapters with caution, if there heavy there`s a possibility they could damage the x100 lens by striping the focusing gears Sad

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.