Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

The Fujifilm FinePix X100 has arrived! (Interactive review!)

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

MeanGreeny
21 Mar 2011 - 9:30 PM

I see that the X100 on eBay UK went for 520 above Park Cameras' listed price

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
21 Mar 2011 - 9:30 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318434 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
21 Mar 2011 - 10:53 PM

I've added a close up shot as a separate article comparing the Fuji X100 with the Olympus E-P2
I've taken a shot at maximum and minimum apertures and at f/8. I've also made the raw file available for the Olympus. I have the Fuji one but cannot get it in our system and Adobe don't have a converter for it yet so that will be uploaded soon.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314957 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
22 Mar 2011 - 8:09 PM

Thanks Pete.

Posted this same comment there, guess it belongs here as well Smile

Would be interesting to see how well this lens handles flare, bright head on car lights, that sort of thing.

Most of the fixed lens rangefinders I have used are excellent in this department.

guybblue
guybblue  3
9 Apr 2011 - 6:27 PM

Josh, Pete any chance you could take and post some images at f2 that demonstrate the camera's sharpness at that aperture? I mean NON-macro shots, since wide open it suffers from some spherical aberration at that aperture. It would be very interesting to see how the lens performs with normal subjects wide open. Thanks!

Last Modified By guybblue at 9 Apr 2011 - 6:36 PM
joshwa
joshwa ePHOTOzine Staff 3596 forum postsjoshwa vcard United Kingdom
11 Apr 2011 - 8:47 AM

We put our review to Fujifilm Tokyo and got the answers to some of our questions, see our update here:
http://www.ephotozine.com/article/fujifilm-finepix-x100-digital-camera-review-15...

Also I'll have a look through the photos I've taken to see if I've used f/2 outside.

MediumSizeUnavailable

he means here Wink

joshwa
11 Apr 2011 - 6:31 PM

Smile yes I do, I don't know why it didn't automatically make it a link?

joshwa
24 Apr 2011 - 7:06 AM

Firmware 1.01 is available
http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/firmware/x/finepix_x100...

It corrects:

Quote: The firmware up date ver.1.01 incorporates the improvement against inadequate operation shown in the following.
If the images are shot with ISO Bracketing mode when "QUICK START MODE"(*1) is set to "ON" and turn off the camera,the camera cannot be turned on again even with ordinary operation.
*1 Menu of "QUICK START MODE" is set to "OFF" as factory-default value.

However, several reports around the web are stating that it improves a number of other problems, or issues, such as speed, manual focus responsiveness, plus more.

MediumSizeUnavailable

cool !

joshwa
9 May 2011 - 2:49 PM

Quote: Josh, Pete any chance you could take and post some images at f2 that demonstrate the camera's sharpness at that aperture? I mean NON-macro shots, since wide open it suffers from some spherical aberration at that aperture. It would be very interesting to see how the lens performs with normal subjects wide open. Thanks!

Sorry this took longer than I expected, as we were talking to Fuji about some of the issues we experienced. Here's several landscape samples taken at all aperture settings, including examples showing the ND filter on:
http://www.ephotozine.com/article/fujifilm-finepix-x100-landscape-sample-photos-...

PiersRawson
12 May 2011 - 11:38 AM

I have had x100 for a few weeks now and it really does deliver very high image quality, with perhaps better noise at 800/1600 than my Nikon D700, BUT there are some issues:

1. the raw software the camera shipped with is poor and the on-camera "raw to jpeg" produced better quality; Adobe camera raw/DNG converter support for Photoshop only just became available - the wait was frustrating;

2. the firmware upgrade procedure advised by FUJI is ridiculously complex - why not just copy the DAT file to formatted card as with Nikon, Ricoh firmware upgrades?

3. why no "in focus" indicator for manual focus operation (for example the green square of the auto focus), even when the (very good) auto-focus assist for manual is used?

4. even when the instant review is cancelled for single shot operation, when a sequence of continuous shots has been taken, they are displayed whilst written to the card in the viewfinder (optical as well as electronic) - this prevents further shots being framed and taken, even if the full allocation of shots has not been used up: you can take extra shots, but not frame them in either viewfinder, which is plain silly;

5. the rotating dials on the top plate are excellent and positive but the AF MF focus selector switch (side) and main on-off switch are less precise, and the unnecessary spinning dial that duplicates the selector function of the control cursor makes precise selection more difficult: the controls of the Panasonic GF1 are more positive.

No new piece of technology is perfect: it's good to use the Panasonic GF1 with manual Zeiss lenses, but the sensor doesn't measure up at iso 400 and beyond; just imagine the Fuji sensor/software/viewfinder in the old Epson RD1 (based on Voightlander film body) with its Leica bayonet compatibility and nifty concealed rear screen, for those who aren't so insecurre they have to review every shot...

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
12 May 2011 - 12:30 PM

Let's face it, this is sort of geek-camera, isn't it? Wink Very limited and niche, and with nostalgic appeal.

I wonder how may they will sell, as a proportion of the compact market.........

Just Jas
Just Jas  1225746 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
12 May 2011 - 3:51 PM

I would certainly like one - basic camera controls without all the crap on the DSLRs to contend with.

Apertures on a lens ring, shutter speeds on a top plate dial, and a reasonable manual focussing ring as well!

If I could afford it!

Last Modified By Just Jas at 12 May 2011 - 3:53 PM
Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
12 May 2011 - 3:52 PM

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be, Jas! Wink

Just Jas
Just Jas  1225746 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
12 May 2011 - 3:54 PM

Crapless nostalgia appeals to me, CB! Grin

nostalgia-dscf0671.jpg

Last Modified By Just Jas at 12 May 2011 - 4:02 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.