Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

The Golden Hour

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Ade_Osman
    Ade_Osman e2 Member 114521 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Nov 2012 - 4:46 AM

The Golden Hour

Don't know if anyone has come across this or not but surfing around the web as I do being the total insomniac that I am, I came across this little nugget of a website this morning which could be dead handy if you're into your landscape photography. It will tell you sunrise and sunset time for whatever part of the world you happen to be in at the time, it also has a handy app for the i-phone too. Worth a look if landscaping is your bag.

Apologies if someone else has mentioned it before, I had a cursory search and couldn't find anything relating to it....

Ade

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    8 Nov 2012 - 4:46 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
    8 Nov 2012 - 7:46 AM

That app costs 3.99 and there are several equally good free ones that do the same. I use one simply called Sunrise Sunset and another one for moon phases and rise/set times.

Phone apps like this are especially useful as they use your GPS location to give the exact times for wherever you are - which even in the UK can vary by about an hour and a half between south-east and north-west at the solstices.

sherlob
    sherlob e2 Member 82324 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom125 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Nov 2012 - 7:52 AM

My fav is the photographers empharesis - not only does it allow you to calculate sunrise and sunset times, but it also allows you to estimate the effect of the elevation of the surrounding terrain on the 'effective' time. E.g. the time the sunsets on the horizon will be different to the the time the sun is visible when a mountain is in the way!

Ade_Osman
    Ade_Osman e2 Member 114521 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Nov 2012 - 8:00 AM

Oh well, it still might be useful for online use if nothing else, I just came across it in the night and though it worth a mention. As for the app, well to be honest I didn't notice there was a charge as I've a smartphone as opposed to an i-phone, so it didn't really interest me. The way I normally work out sunsets when on the few occasions I go out to do them is by using my handheld Garmin GPS receiver.....But I'm just another gadget nut Tongue

Ade

widtink
    widtink  2406 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Nov 2012 - 8:09 AM

Indeed Ade very useful thanksSmile

Rod

arhb
    arhb e2 Member 72273 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom68 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Nov 2012 - 8:20 AM

Damn! and there was I, thinking this was a thread about the wonderfully superbtastic Simon Bates radio 1 show ....... Wink

Ade_Osman
    8 Nov 2012 - 8:25 AM

Quote: Damn! and there was I, thinking this was a thread about the wonderfully superbtastic Simon Bates radio 1 show .......

Showing your age there Andy Tongue

Ade Grin

WhiteRose1
    WhiteRose1 e2 Member 41050 forum postsWhiteRose1 vcard England136 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Nov 2012 - 8:33 AM

Pick of the pops with Fluff was my favourite Smile ..... and the 'Photographer's Emphemaris' as well.

JJGEE
    JJGEE  96303 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Nov 2012 - 8:44 AM

Quote: Pick of the pops with Fluff was my favourite Smile

Juke Box Jury was one of mine.

Possibly because my mum took me to a recording of the show at Chatham Town Hall.

I cannot recall who was actually on the panel but one name that springs to mind is Pete Murray.

JJGEE
    JJGEE  96303 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Nov 2012 - 9:44 AM

Re Juke Box Jury

Just had to do a bit of research to jog my memory, the regular presenter was David Jacobs with Pete Murray as a stand in from time to time.

Last Modified By JJGEE at 8 Nov 2012 - 9:49 AM
    Gaucho
    Gaucho e2 Member 122260 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Nov 2012 - 9:45 AM

A link to The Photographer's Ephemeris. This is very good.

cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Nov 2012 - 10:22 AM

Soon there will be an " APP " to tell you when to press the shutter button........ Or telling you when its dump time, I'm just glad I still rely on instinct ....Grin

arhb
    arhb e2 Member 72273 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom68 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Nov 2012 - 10:32 AM

I'm with you on that Vince - when I eventually get a smart phone, I will still use it for just speaking to and texting people Smile

There again, I might get a spirit level app.........

Wink

lobsterboy
    lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014137 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Nov 2012 - 10:37 AM

Quote: Soon there will be an " APP " to tell you when to press the shutter button...

There are plenty of apps about that will press the shutter button for you.

mattw
    mattw  105189 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Nov 2012 - 11:34 AM

I use 'TerraTime'

(http://terratime.net/)

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.