Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

The Golden Hour

Ade_Osman Plus
12 4.5k 36 England
8 Nov 2012 4:46AM
The Golden Hour

Don't know if anyone has come across this or not but surfing around the web as I do being the total insomniac that I am, I came across this little nugget of a website this morning which could be dead handy if you're into your landscape photography. It will tell you sunrise and sunset time for whatever part of the world you happen to be in at the time, it also has a handy app for the i-phone too. Worth a look if landscaping is your bag.

Apologies if someone else has mentioned it before, I had a cursory search and couldn't find anything relating to it....

Ade

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
8 Nov 2012 7:46AM
That app costs 3.99 and there are several equally good free ones that do the same. I use one simply called Sunrise Sunset and another one for moon phases and rise/set times.

Phone apps like this are especially useful as they use your GPS location to give the exact times for wherever you are - which even in the UK can vary by about an hour and a half between south-east and north-west at the solstices.
sherlob Plus
9 2.5k 126 United Kingdom
8 Nov 2012 7:52AM
My fav is the photographers empharesis - not only does it allow you to calculate sunrise and sunset times, but it also allows you to estimate the effect of the elevation of the surrounding terrain on the 'effective' time. E.g. the time the sunsets on the horizon will be different to the the time the sun is visible when a mountain is in the way!
Ade_Osman Plus
12 4.5k 36 England
8 Nov 2012 8:00AM
Oh well, it still might be useful for online use if nothing else, I just came across it in the night and though it worth a mention. As for the app, well to be honest I didn't notice there was a charge as I've a smartphone as opposed to an i-phone, so it didn't really interest me. The way I normally work out sunsets when on the few occasions I go out to do them is by using my handheld Garmin GPS receiver.....But I'm just another gadget nut Tongue

Ade
widtink 2 406 2 Scotland
8 Nov 2012 8:09AM
Indeed Ade very useful thanksSmile

Rod
arhb Plus
7 2.6k 68 United Kingdom
8 Nov 2012 8:20AM
Damn! and there was I, thinking this was a thread about the wonderfully superbtastic Simon Bates radio 1 show ....... Wink
Ade_Osman Plus
12 4.5k 36 England
8 Nov 2012 8:25AM

Quote:Damn! and there was I, thinking this was a thread about the wonderfully superbtastic Simon Bates radio 1 show .......

Showing your age there Andy Tongue

Ade Grin
WhiteRose1 Plus
5 1.3k 142 England
8 Nov 2012 8:33AM
Pick of the pops with Fluff was my favourite Smile ..... and the 'Photographer's Emphemaris' as well.
JJGEE 10 6.5k 18 England
8 Nov 2012 8:44AM

Quote:Pick of the pops with Fluff was my favourite Smile

Juke Box Jury was one of mine.

Possibly because my mum took me to a recording of the show at Chatham Town Hall.

I cannot recall who was actually on the panel but one name that springs to mind is Pete Murray.
JJGEE 10 6.5k 18 England
8 Nov 2012 9:44AM
Re Juke Box Jury

Just had to do a bit of research to jog my memory, the regular presenter was David Jacobs with Pete Murray as a stand in from time to time.
Gaucho Plus
13 2.6k 2 United Kingdom
8 Nov 2012 9:45AM
cameracat 11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
8 Nov 2012 10:22AM
Soon there will be an " APP " to tell you when to press the shutter button........ Or telling you when its dump time, I'm just glad I still rely on instinct ....Grin
arhb Plus
7 2.6k 68 United Kingdom
8 Nov 2012 10:32AM
I'm with you on that Vince - when I eventually get a smart phone, I will still use it for just speaking to and texting people Smile

There again, I might get a spirit level app.........

Wink
lobsterboy Plus
11 14.4k 13 United Kingdom
8 Nov 2012 10:37AM

Quote:Soon there will be an " APP " to tell you when to press the shutter button...

There are plenty of apps about that will press the shutter button for you.
mattw 11 5.2k 10 United Kingdom
8 Nov 2012 11:34AM
I use 'TerraTime'

( http://terratime.net/ )

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.