Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

The Happy Forum

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Railcam
Railcam  7447 forum posts Scotland
18 Jun 2012 - 5:28 PM

Midges tend to inhabit the western side of Scotland. None in the east. Nice sunny day here (Edinburgh) but still a bit chilly for mid-summer.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
18 Jun 2012 - 5:28 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Photo4x4
Photo4x4  10470 forum posts United Kingdom
19 Jun 2012 - 1:53 PM

Quote: Midges tend to inhabit the western side of Scotland. None in the east.

That depends on which east you mean. They do in the far north east. Not right on the coast where I live but just go a couple of miles inland up into the hills and there the little blighters are!

Of course Edinburgh is almost in England!

Keith Hart

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139367 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jun 2012 - 2:29 PM

I'm taking a full beekeeper's outfit when I go to NW Scotland and the Isles in August. Sad

daviewat
daviewat  104103 forum posts Scotland
19 Jun 2012 - 3:15 PM

Mr Carabosse Smile The most important thing to always remember is it makes no difference whatsoever what you wear or slap on etc etc they will get you somehow !!!!! But to avoid the sheer misery of night biting, itching etc then when you take of your cloths put them in a black bag and forget about t hem til you get home then wash them. So take plenty cloths and plenty black bags Smile the we bastards stick to any form of clothing and most people make the almighty mistake of just dumping their cloths on the floor of the room or wherever they are staying !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And ALWAYS keep the window closed especially when a light is on

keithh
keithh  1022556 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jun 2012 - 3:19 PM

This has been a public service announcement by VISIT SCOTLAND tourism office.
Wink

daviewat
daviewat  104103 forum posts Scotland
19 Jun 2012 - 3:26 PM

Smile @ Keith you could always go down the other route and get to a Scottish meet and drink so much alcohol that wee bastards stand no chance due to being pished in charge of a pair of wings Smile

saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 33363 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway22 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jun 2012 - 3:41 PM

Quote: This has been a public service announcement by VISIT SCOTLAND tourism office.
Wink

And several trillion midges have 'liked' that post.Wink

polis_928tadw59

WinkThe 'Happy Forum' ???? I wish I had never mentioned the midges, it has turned you into a right Grumpy Lot.Grin Must get back to where I belong - the Grumpies and claim 10 points. !!!!

ElmsArt
ElmsArt  782 forum posts Scotland1 Constructive Critique Points
21 Jun 2012 - 4:57 AM

Carabosse. The midge are so small they will come right through the mesh of your bee keeper outfit. But take a long lie in the morning and be in the pub by early evening. They are at their worst for a couple of hours at dawn and dusk. There is an insect repellant called "Deet" that does a fair job of keeping them away for a bit. But you will have to order it on line as it is not available in the UK.

Jackie

Photo4x4
Photo4x4  10470 forum posts United Kingdom
21 Jun 2012 - 7:59 AM

Jackie

Deet: N,N-Diethyl-meta-toluamide, abbreviated DEET, is a chemical available in many over the counter insect repelants, you just need to look at the ingredients.

Indeed you can buy insect repellants with DEET at Boots the Chemist: http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Pharmaceuticals-Repel-Insect-Repellant-Tropical-St...

I get my insect repellant wipes from good old Lidl!

BTW the only thing that work are repellants containing DEET. Avon Skin so Soft does not. : http://www.snopes.com/oldwives/skeeters.asp

I wear long sleeves and a hat with a mosquito net + my DEET based repellant.

Keith Hart

Tooth
Tooth  95772 forum posts Ireland227 Constructive Critique Points
21 Jun 2012 - 12:05 PM

The physical fine mesh barriers are the most useful. Repellents containing DEET can work, but the problem is you have to be plastered in them, they're sticky and taste horrible and have to be washed off afterwards

With my full smock on and trouser ends in socks or boots, I just smear it on my wrists and back of hands

@Davie, I'd agree with windows closed, but they're not moths and aren't attracted to light Tongue Wink

HAPPY FORUM justification?? I've just got our midge killing machine working again - it might not make much of an impression on the big picture, but at least I'll have the satisfaction of taking some of the b***s prisoner and watching them suffer a slow death by dehydration Smile

Stephen

polis_928tadw59
21 Jun 2012 - 12:23 PM

Quote:

FORUM justification?? I've just got our midge killing machine working again - it might not make much of an impression on the big picture, but at least I'll have the satisfaction of taking some of the b***s prisoner and watching them suffer a slow death by dehydration Smile

Stephen

Just looking up the RSPCA tele. no.TongueWink

Last Modified By polis_928tadw59 at 21 Jun 2012 - 12:24 PM
ElmsArt
ElmsArt  782 forum posts Scotland1 Constructive Critique Points
21 Jun 2012 - 1:49 PM

The Midge can have beneficial uses. In the long gone days of my youth when I had only been married a couple of years my hubby And I decided to go on a camping holiday to Skye. My mother informed us that she loved camping, having spent half the war years billeted under canvas. So she would buy hersrlf a tent and come with us to show us how things were done. You might say that I was not all that happy about this, but as my hubby and my mother got on really well I was out voted. The day before we were to set off she developed phlebitis (sp) and her left leg from knee to foot was black with the bruised blood. But she went to the doc, got pills and insisted in still coming. We arrived at where we were camping and got the tents up. And the midge arrived. She got so demented by them she decided to go buy some bug spray and spray her tent. This action deproofed the canvas and the midge were not just coming in the cracks they came in through the canvas itself. The upshot was we all spent the night in the car at Uig peir, then in the morning she insisted on being taken home. Also the midge had made a right meal of her bad leg. All signs of the plebitis had gone, not a sign left of bruised blood and she never was affected by it again.

She never did offer to come camping with us again. GrinSmileGrinSmileGrinSmile

polis_928tadw59

I have either had too much beer tonight, or I am going mad. The last post does not belong to the Happy Forum. I want the Moderators tel no. so that I can report it.Wink The post has not even made me grumpy - in fact I was laughing like mad. I remember camping at Glen Brittle, on Skye. What a damned evening -smoking my pipe, my wife smoking her cigs, the son grumbling about smoke in the car. Hell could not be worse than that. In fact, remembering it all again I am now breaking out in a sweat.GrinSmileTongueWink

Just Jas
Just Jas  1225716 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
21 Jun 2012 - 8:38 PM

Quote: All signs of the plebitis had gone,

Just midgebitis? Wink

see here

Last Modified By Just Jas at 21 Jun 2012 - 8:41 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.