Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

The hardest subject to get a great shot of is.....?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014794 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
2 Mar 2009 - 10:42 AM

I was just wondering what the most challenging subject to get a great shot of is, and realised that each subject seems to have it's own set of problems to overcome to get that great shot. Many subjects are probably easier to get good shots of than others, but for a great shot... tricky.

for example, doing portraits has the issues around dealing with people - you can set the lights and camera up perfectly and still get average shots if you've not engaged the sitter

Landscape is easy to get a good shot of, but to get a great one you probably need a big brolly, seat, sandwiches and flask of coffee so you can sit around for hours waiting for some magic light.

Architecture to many is a drab, dull subject to capture, so you need to get creative and use imagination to bring buildings alive and get a great shot.

Wildlife (probably) involves sitting in a little tent with 6000 of kit dangling off a wimberly head for weeks to get the animals you're after, doing what you them to be doing. Then there's the technique difficulties of tracking moving things through long lenses.

Pap photographters have to stand around in packs like wolves fighting for that up-skirt shot of the lateset "sleb"....

War photographers have to risk life and limb out in the field if they want to get meaningful shots that convey what really goes on in battle. Many of the best photographters used little Leica's at 50mm so must have been right in the mix when shells were going off..

etc...

So which is the hardest to get that great shot of?

Last Modified By ade_mcfade at 2 Mar 2009 - 10:43 AM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
2 Mar 2009 - 10:42 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mark2uk
mark2uk  8739 forum posts England8 Constructive Critique Points
2 Mar 2009 - 10:52 AM

The wife in a good mood

BubbaG2000
2 Mar 2009 - 11:25 AM

A lot of what you say involves patience. But I would rather sit out in the moors with a thermos than be out in a warzone. I tip my cap to these guys! Surely none of what war photographers do is planned?

BOB S
BOB S  122622 forum posts
2 Mar 2009 - 11:39 AM

Yourself.

BOB

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014794 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
2 Mar 2009 - 11:51 AM

Quote: Yourself.

BOB

Ooh I dunno - self portraits aren't too hard after a few trial runs. I've done loads as I have no friends Wink

Things are "hard" for different reasons - I've found landscape "hard" this year because every time I've been out it's just turned dull and depressing.

the year before it was pretty easy as I got lucky a lot.

I still think Landscape is one of the easier subjects though - just because you've got the time to think, plan and enjoy the experience of being out in the open - and technically it's not that challenging.

Here's one I struggled with the other week...

I had a go at photographing fair ground rides, like the scrambler - now that was very hard as you were in the dark, the AF was all over the place, the thing moves so quick that it's only in your viewfinder for a split second. I wanted people in the shot to get their reaction, so was zoomed in to about 150mm or so.

I realise now that I should have waited for it to stop - then pre-focus on a car that's in the right position for the shot I was after and switch AF off, then just click when they come round - no AF issues.

mattw
mattw  105189 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
2 Mar 2009 - 12:15 PM

The problem with comparing 'difficulty' is that experience comes into it a lot.

I think underwater photography must be really challenging - but for people into this type of photography this is probably second nature

Last Modified By mattw at 2 Mar 2009 - 12:18 PM
joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
2 Mar 2009 - 1:01 PM

Quote: Things are "hard" for different reasons - I've found landscape "hard" this year because every time I've been out it's just turned dull and depressing.

Then look around for details and 'intimate landscapes'. No point in despairing that you can't shoot a vista because the weather's crap. Go and look for a subject that does suit the conditions.

Quote: the year before it was pretty easy as I got lucky a lot.

Says it all, really. Wink

Quote: I still think Landscape is one of the easier subjects though - just because you've got the time to think, plan and enjoy the experience of being out in the open - and technically it's not that challenging.

Ooooh, that's fighting talk. Try Large Format if ya think yer 'ard enough!! Wink

ade_mcfade
2 Mar 2009 - 1:04 PM

Quote: The problem with comparing 'difficulty' is that experience comes into it a lot.

yeah - I agree and is, in a way, the point of the thread I guess.

There are many factors that add to difficulty and experience (or lack of) is another one - but I bet in some areas, even when you get technically competent, it's still pretty hard to get a great shot.

Sport may well be one that fits into that category - things only happen once, often in a split second, and they are gone. Even if you're an old hand at it, must be be a big part played by where you're sat and other factors you can't control.

Overread
Overread  63746 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
2 Mar 2009 - 1:39 PM

capturing a shot of a flying butterfly!
If you have ever watched one fly they are highly erratic and bob up and down the whole time - it is something that I have only ever seen 2 shots of - underwater, wildilfe, birds in flight, buildings, landscapes, flying dragons - seen lots of
Flying butterflies though only ever seen two.

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
2 Mar 2009 - 1:46 PM

I would say that the most challenging shot for anybody would be the inside of their coffin.

Well at least if you are supposed to be able to view the results.

BubbaG2000
2 Mar 2009 - 1:47 PM

Quote: Capturing a shot of a flying butterfly!

Never really thought about that! I guess the common pic is always of them at rest. The cheat is to have one on a pane of glass and claim it's flying!

sgamble
sgamble  639 forum posts England4 Constructive Critique Points
2 Mar 2009 - 1:55 PM

Seeing as I have been out done in the silliness stakes before I've even written anything I'll try something sensible. How about jewellery and watch photography? If Professional Photographer mag is to be believed they are pretty tricky subjects.

Last Modified By sgamble at 2 Mar 2009 - 1:56 PM
Henchard
Henchard  92744 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
2 Mar 2009 - 1:55 PM

Nah, just needs dedication (you lot just don't try hard enough!)

Last Modified By Henchard at 2 Mar 2009 - 1:56 PM
mattw
mattw  105189 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
2 Mar 2009 - 2:16 PM

Naa, easy

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110240 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
2 Mar 2009 - 2:19 PM

Show off! Smile

Nice one Matt - I can get them in frame like that, its getting the shutter speed fast enough to freeze them that I find difficult (I can always claim I'm going for the "Arty Blurred Look" I guess Wink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.