Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

The Image Duel concept....

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014842 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
24 Aug 2012 - 3:10 PM

I've probably mentioned this many times over the last 8 years.... but now I've seen it working on a competitor site and quite like it as a concept, so thought I'd discuss it here

The concept is simple and works a bit like the old "hot or not" website's "who is hottest" application....

Basically, you upload your photos to a gallery as normal... so far so good Smile Tags, about and all that good stuff.
Once in place, the photo become eligible for Image Duels

The Image Duel App...

You enter the "Image Duel" part of the site
2 photos are presented to you - there are no names or logos or ID on these (they're banned and get reported)
You have 2 choices...

1 - Pick which photo you like best OR
2 - Skip to next pair of photos if you can't decide

Once you skip/vote, then you get 2 more images - it just goes on and on like that.

(A peripheral note - You "earn" points for each vote - and points mean that you can upload more photos)

It's that simple really.

Each of your shots then gets scored on how many duels it won/lost - if you get their E2 equivalent, then you can see all the duel results.....

I know that it is completely "anti critique" and as such, drifts in a different direction to EPZ....

But it's a fun and very quick way to view lots of photos you may never have seen.

It's anti-clique in many ways - you can't choose who you see via a friends list.

Anyway - something I quite enjoyed playing with for a while today, and something which may be a fun ADDITION to the site (note, not changing the existing infrastructure)

Whatcha Fink folks?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
24 Aug 2012 - 3:10 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318456 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
24 Aug 2012 - 3:17 PM

Quote: Whatcha Fink folks?

Great minds...we have something based on the old "hot or not" approach that's already scheduled for build and coming soon Smile It will feature an experimental new rating system that is planned, if successful, to replace the challenge gallery and give us what we always intended that to be - the best pictures of everything. Our challenge gallery idea never worked correctly which is a shame because we'd already be six years into the new system, but we went wrong by having a score out of ten and it was tainted by the usual corrupt voting system. Our new versus gallery will not replace the existing system, but compliment it as another way of viewing the gallery.

mdpontin
mdpontin  106016 forum posts Scotland
24 Aug 2012 - 4:02 PM

Sounds like fun Smile

ourdayphotos
24 Aug 2012 - 5:08 PM

Who decides which two photographs duel with each other & would they be fairly matched in terms of photographic ability & the amount of effort & skill in taking each of the photos?

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318456 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
24 Aug 2012 - 5:33 PM

Quote: Who decides which two photographs duel with each other & would they be fairly matched in terms of photographic ability & the amount of effort & skill in taking each of the photos?

All automated and similar scores would be pitched against each other so slowly a better photo will start to rise out of the weaker photos and as it gets higher the challenge becomes tougher.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014842 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
24 Aug 2012 - 5:38 PM

nice one Pete - I reckon it'll certainly get people with less time more engaged

If you can spend 10 minutes doing it, I bet you can look though quite a few shots you'd never normally see Smile

I've no idea how the pairs are selected - they do seem to be in the same "genre", so you don't get birds versus architecture.

I think there is absolutely no account taken of "who" takes the photos in the duel - I think that's right.

I've observed that of the few shots I uploaded, the ones which "win" a higher percentage get put into more duels.... that may protect those uploading poor shots from getting a complete drubbing.

The "anonymous" gallery is a factor too - any shots with logos are reported and taken out of the Duel system, from what I can see... Ok, we'd all recognise a DeLone or Paul Morgan without logos, in an EPZ version, but for the majority it'd create a more level playing field.

can;t wait to see it implemented.... and the inevitable 100 page long form thread ripping it to shreds lol

ourdayphotos
24 Aug 2012 - 5:43 PM

It has it's merits but I've been on songwriting/recording forums where musicians do the same sort of thing, not quite anonymous but it always ends in tears.

ringyneck
ringyneck  7308 forum posts United Kingdom18 Constructive Critique Points
24 Aug 2012 - 6:05 PM

Quote:

If you can spend 10 minutes doing it, I bet you can look though quite a few shots you'd never normally see Smile lol

And the point is.......

Well described outline of the game.....it's flown right over my head !!

Keith

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64538 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
24 Aug 2012 - 6:06 PM

I've played this on another site. It's fun for about three times, then it gets boring. Can't see it catching on. But I might be wrong. It has been known.
x

ade_mcfade
24 Aug 2012 - 6:09 PM

scrap it then pete

Wink

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64538 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
24 Aug 2012 - 6:10 PM

Grin Now there's a thought! Wish everything was so easy. Wink

ade_mcfade
25 Aug 2012 - 6:57 PM

Quote: And the point is.......

err....... that seeing more photographs is a good thing, maybe?

Quote: Well described outline of the game.....it's flown right over my head !!

ok - bad description...

in a nutshell, you choose which photo is best from 2 that appear on screen

Any better?

SlowSong
25 Aug 2012 - 7:08 PM

I'll be interested to see how many of Ade's pics beat the birds on sticks. Wouldn't put money on it. Wink

ade_mcfade
25 Aug 2012 - 8:25 PM

That's assumes that birds would be compared or compete with other subjects

SlowSong
25 Aug 2012 - 9:32 PM

With the percentage of birds pics on here it'd be hard to avoid.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.