Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

The Lake District

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    lee71
    lee71  6 United Kingdom
    23 Feb 2011 - 11:13 PM

Looking for help as I give landscape a go, The lake district seems a good place to start but have no idea when and what time is best to go, all help would be great.

many thanks Lee

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    23 Feb 2011 - 11:13 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ade_mcfade
    ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014778 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Feb 2011 - 11:45 PM

go when you have time to go

"now" is the best time, you may get run over by a truck tomorrow and never see the place.

stevie
    stevie e2 Member 101198 forum postsstevie vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Feb 2011 - 6:29 AM

All seasons are good in the Lake District, just depends on the light/weather on the day. Summer is VERY busy at times and bear in mind you'll need to be up very early indeed to catch the morning light; you can manage at a later hour in the winter. It rains a lot, of course, and some days can be just grey and drizzly with very little photographic potential - you soon forget about those, though when you get some good morning light over one of the Lakes. I've been photographing the Lakes for years now (I own a holiday rental property there and use it myself when it's not full of customers). If you're starting in the Lakes IMO around Keswick/Derwentwater is easiest and a lot of the well-known 'classic' photographic places are around there. If you want some more information just PM me. Steve

Last Modified By stevie at 24 Feb 2011 - 6:29 AM
    sherlob
    sherlob e2 Member 82308 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom125 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Feb 2011 - 11:09 AM

Hi Lee,

I find this free resource excellent when planning a shoot in an area I don't know. Use the search feature on the gallery and google to get an idea of some locations, then map them out on the software. That said I think Steve is making you an offer thats hard to refuse!

Rgds,

Adam

SimonAtkinson
    28 Feb 2011 - 5:16 PM

I went to the Lake District for the first time in October just as the beautiful autumn colours were beginning to show, I stayed for 3 days and had a list of locations in mind I wanted to go to. More often than not, alot of people can get overwhelmed going somewhere so beautiful and want to go to as many locations as possible, dont do this, pic a handful and take your time at each (weather providing) to get the best photo possible.
    I went to:
    Derwent Water: The famous jetty and also the boats along the shore near the theatre.
    Buttermere: So beautiful and photogenic, highly recommend going here, its my favorite lake.
    Blea Tarn: A small tarn in the langdale valley, its quite out the way of the 2 other locations (40 min drive) but it is incredibly beautiful and remote.
    Loughrigg Tarn: A very small tarn with views of the fells in the background. The tarn is surrounded by trees with a small white cottage amongst them all.

Have a look at my website on my profile to see some of the photos I got from the lakes or just google search each location for an idea of what to expect.

Last Modified By SimonAtkinson at 28 Feb 2011 - 5:17 PM
    barrovian
    barrovian e2 Member 10160 forum postsbarrovian vcard United Kingdom
    28 Feb 2011 - 9:35 PM

Daffs are just starting to come out now so Duddon valley near Ulpha bridge, Grasmere or Rydal are good. Sunrise is at a reasonable time this early in the year too. Don't forget the map resource on here either for inspiration here.

P

User_Removed
    1 Mar 2011 - 10:14 AM

In the Lake District, as with most "landscape" areas of the UK, it is amazing how devoid of photo opps they can be when driving around them in a car. Then equally amazing how rich in photo opps they are when you park the car and walk a few miles away from the roads. So take a decent pair of walking shoes and a comfortable backpack for your kit.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.