Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

The lakes

KONIN e2
3 252 England
2 Apr 2012 7:32PM
Hi going to the lake district later this week what are the top three must do locations iam staying near keswick in a tent (brrrrr) travelling about is no problem when we get there thanks stu

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JohnParminter
7 1.3k 14 England
2 Apr 2012 7:59PM
Hello KONIN, my top three must do locations would be:

1. Great Gable from Innominate Tarn or Blackbeck Tarn on Haystacks at sunrise. A very unusual view of the back of Gable that most folk haven't seen.

2. A silhouette profile of Striding Edge on Helvellyn at midday on a Bank Holiday. A unique way of demonstrating how popular this route is, folk look like ants on it.

3. Trout fishermen in a rowing boat on Esthwaite Water either in morning mist or a golden sunset. A lovely low key tarn off the beaten track a bit.

JP
stuvine e2
9 63 United Kingdom
2 Apr 2012 8:03PM
Taken on derwentwater next to keswick,

Boats on Derwentwater
Andy_Cundell e2
3 1.1k 5 England
2 Apr 2012 8:28PM
I disagree with both of you! Hoad Monument in Ulverston followed by Windermere/ Ambleside for a spot of walking and finally Kirkstone pass!Grin
User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
2 Apr 2012 8:31PM
Bookmarking... I'm there back end of May/early June Grin
wnbeat e2
9 48 Scotland
2 Apr 2012 8:34PM
Lodore falls , behind the hotel 150ft drop, Was there in November I have a few shots on my portfolio
ianrobinson e2
5 1.2k 8 United Kingdom
2 Apr 2012 9:01PM
Derwentwater on the other side is a great place to go.

Here's a shot i took from there in November last year.reflection-on-autumn.jpg

2 Apr 2012 9:17PM
That shot is gorgeous Ian, gotta be happy with that Smile
2 Apr 2012 9:37PM
Another for the other side of Derwent taken only feet from Ians shot

morning-mist.jpg

John
ianrobinson e2
5 1.2k 8 United Kingdom
3 Apr 2012 9:23AM

Quote:nother for the other side of Derwent taken only feet from Ians shot

Smile so true i recognise it too, lovely shot with that light filtering through, almost heavenly looking.

There are so many places to go to be honest, i went up surprise view which is on the opposite side of these shots and if you keep driving you'll come across a river that ends up being lador falls for a reference here it is.
riverflow.jpg

or surprise view over looking Derwentwater itself.

pb041267-edited-1.jpg

how about over looking Keswick water at 2000 feet up in the Mountains, this mountain was next to Keswick literally and the image is looking over Keswick and in the distance is Derwentwater

20111106-091845.jpg

5 Apr 2012 10:35AM
If you have a car I'd recommend Buttermere, via Honister Pass at the end of Borrowdale or via Newlands Pass - both easily accessible from Keswick. Buttermere has lots of great locations and the walk around the lake (allow a couple of hours) would cover off many of these for you.

As suggested above, Surprise View is a spectacular location for an aerial shot of Derwentwater and Skiddaw behind it - there's also Ashness bridge on the drive to it. Lodore Falls & the hamlet of Watendlath are also right near those two, so that could account for an afternoon very easily!

Also near to Keswick is Castlerigg Stone Circle, often featured in the photography magazines and great even in grey weather. It's a good place to visit first thing in the morning as it gets busy during the day.

If you fancied a bit of a climb along with your photography, and it's a blue sky & fluffy cloud sort of day, then Catbells on the far side of the lake won't disappoint.

There's more info on various locations to photograph the lakes at http://www.photoplaces.co.uk/uk-regions/cumbria/index.html

Enjoy it - it's a fantastic area! Smile
Niknut e2
4 742 64 United Kingdom
5 Apr 2012 4:37PM
Buy an OS map.....close your eyes & stick a pin in it somewhere.....then go there !!!

'cos anywhere in the LD is stunning !!!!!.......but if it's over the Easter weekend, good luck with the parking, there won't be any !!

Put yer boots on & walk.....though there's a regular bus-service down Borrowdale....just get off anywhere & enjoy !!!!.Grin

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.