Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

The Mirrorless Battle!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

joshwa
joshwa ePHOTOzine Staff 4602 forum postsjoshwa vcard United Kingdom
28 Jul 2011 - 3:23 PM

We've had some interesting post over the last few days... including the:

Olympus PEN E-P3
Panasonic Lumix GF3 and GF2
Samsung NX11
and the Sony NEX5 is arriving tomorrow...

We will be reviewing them all (and have already reviewed the NX11), but what do you specifically want to know?

Would a video of focusing speeds be useful? for example?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
28 Jul 2011 - 3:23 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

joshwa
29 Jul 2011 - 1:15 PM

mirrorless-challenge.jpg

The Samsung NX11, Olympus PEN EP3, Sony NEX 5, and Panasonic GF3

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139450 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
29 Jul 2011 - 1:48 PM

In-depth noise comparisons, and conclusions, would I think be very interesting to many.

Perhaps include a DSLR, e.g. a Canon 7D, just for comparison if you happen to have one lying around. Wink The noise on that has been a hot topic recently.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315377 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
29 Jul 2011 - 9:07 PM

I`ve already been reading a far bit about some of these new camera models, how come people in the far east get to play before us Sad

joshwa
29 Jul 2011 - 9:11 PM

It always seems to be the way for all cameras - but mirrorless cameras are most popular in Japan, so it would make sense to sell to them first as there is the biggest demand. The UK has been quick to adopt mirrorless as well though. Smile

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315377 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
29 Jul 2011 - 9:26 PM

Thats very true.

I added these links in another thread, so for a taste of what users think of the EP3 look at these Smile

http://robinwong.blogspot.com/2011/07/olympus-e-p3-review-final-words.html http://www.scribd.com/doc/59027807/OLYMPUS-PEN-E-P3-Opera-Version

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 29 Jul 2011 - 9:26 PM
Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139450 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jul 2011 - 1:53 AM

Goodness, Robin Wong seems to suggest DSLRs may be well on their way to obsolescence with the latest improvements in M4/3:

Quote:

"I strongly believe that PEN is the way to go for the future, and there would come a time where using a huge-sized DSLR will be a joke........"

That will cause ructions. Wink

Olympus and the other 'mirrorless manufacturers' still need to go a bit further with the technology. But once the likes of Canon and Nikon enter the fray, they'll all have to up their game. It's only a matter of time methinks.

keith selmes
30 Jul 2011 - 10:22 AM

"there would come a time" doesn't quite translate to "well on their way to obsolescence"

That time could be 100 years or 200 years. Actually it might be just 10 or 20, or even less, but at the moment the idea is itself still a bit of a joke.

If it does go that way the DSLR won't be a joke of course, it'll be a curiosity, like the TLR or the LF camera today.
And then the top quality ones will be really cheap, oh OK lets hope it happens soon! We need to encourage this trend Smile

Just Jas
Just Jas  1225752 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jul 2011 - 10:50 AM

Quote: .... how come people in the far east get to play before us

Quote: It always seems to be the way for all cameras - but mirrorless cameras are most popular in Japan, so it would make sense to sell to them first as there is the biggest demand.

At one time it was said that a good export market was built on a successful home market.
Perhaps an out-of-date view now, but then - that's me! SmileSmileSmile

Carabosse
30 Jul 2011 - 12:57 PM

Quote: That time could be 100 years or 200 years. Actually it might be just 10 or 20, or even less, but at the moment the idea is itself still a bit of a joke.

It could be as little as 5 years - or even less - before the majority of interchangeable lens cameras sold are mirrorless. I would regard that as DSLRs as being on the way to obsolescence (obsolescent is not the same as obselete! Wink)

Quote: it'll be a curiosity, like the TLR or the LF camera today.

Which I have not seen anyone using for decades. It will take many more years for DSLRs to fall into that category.

Quote: And then the top quality ones will be really cheap

On eBay they will - like medium format film gear. But if mirrorless ILCs are matching the quality of current top level DSLRs by then, why would you want one?

Quote: At one time it was said that a good export market was built on a successful home market.

Not sure that's the case for places like China?

Just Jas
30 Jul 2011 - 1:15 PM

Quote: ...it'll be a curiosity, like the TLR or the LF camera today

Quote: Which I have not seen anyone using for decades

I still use a TLR, CB. Grin

In fact, I have 3 of the beasts! Smile

Carabosse
30 Jul 2011 - 1:20 PM

Well maybe that says a lot about you Jas! Wink

Actually, I thought briefly about getting a Rollei digital mini-TLR, just for fun. But the price is a bit out of the 'fun' bracket. Lol! Wink

Just Jas
30 Jul 2011 - 1:22 PM

Quote: Not sure that's the case for places like China?

Probably not.

However, I understand that when radio, TV and electronic were made extensively in Taiwan the factory workers had 2 or 3 TV sets, etc, in their homes. The goods were cheap to buy and there was precious little else to spend their money on.

Including food, probably.

Paul Morgan
30 Jul 2011 - 2:00 PM

Quote: Goodness, Robin Wong seems to suggest DSLRs may be well on their way to obsolescence with the latest improvements in M4/3

Lol just another users opinion and we all have them Smile

Carabosse
30 Jul 2011 - 2:02 PM

Mr Wong may not be wrong! Wink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.