Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

The Mirrorless Shootout

Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
16 May 2011 7:10PM
As I have just got a Samsung NX100, I have been thinking if I should sell it and get an Olympus EPL1.
I found this review which is quite interesting.
However, I still couldn't decide what I should do....Sad

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
16 May 2011 7:46PM
Swings and roundabouts Col Smile

Speak to a few people that use them, Mike uses an EP1, CB`s recently got himself an EPL2 and started the thread here.

http://www.ephotozine.com/forums/topic/micro-4-3-discussion-89703
User_Removed 4 4.6k 1 Scotland
16 May 2011 7:49PM
Hi Cole.

Given that you do great work with your dSLR, I am a wee bit surprised that you have been attracted to either of those CSCs.

I can see the attraction of looking for a smaller, slimmer, lighter camera as an option to a regular dSLR but, as I am currently weighing up the same options, I have come to the conclusion that neither CSCs or "bridge" cameras fit the bill.

Basically, if I need something that avoids the weight and bulk of my dSLR, then I need something sufficiently compact and portable to slip easily into a shirt pocket. Both the CSC ranges and the "bridge"ranges seem to fail miserably against that criterion and I have tended to look at either the (overpriced) Leica or Fuji X100 type or, more pragmatically, at the new 250 type of advanced compact with fast lenses such as the Samsung EX1 or the Lumix LX5.
joshwa e2
4 605 United Kingdom
16 May 2011 7:57PM
Send it to us Smile We have an EPL1 in the office and could take some side by side shots Wink
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
16 May 2011 8:03PM
Hi Paul, I know those threads.
LF, I won the camera. Though I have been considering them for when photography isn't the main focus when going out. I have had compacts but never pleased with the IQ and ISO performance especially.
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
16 May 2011 8:04PM
I haven't even opened the box, Josh, as if I am going to sell it, it would be better to sell it as new unopened I think.
Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
16 May 2011 8:19PM
You un grateful so and so, just send it to me Smile
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
16 May 2011 8:21PM
Sure no problem. Though it might get lost in the post....Tongue
Carabosse e2
11 39.5k 269 England
17 May 2011 1:14AM
To be honest I'm thinking what my Canon 5D II (currently loaned out) will give me, when I get it back, which my Olympus E-PL2 cannot give me. Better video is all I can think of at the moment.

I am currently giving the Oly a good test out - including high ISO stuff (up to 6400) - and I am starting to think the DSLR may become semi-redundant.

But Eric is right about non-pocketability. I was intending to sell my compact but have decided to retain it for now.
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
18 May 2011 12:18PM
I am still not sure what to do.
I don't think I will be purchasing any lenses in near future.
So, I have no idea what advantage/benefit I would have to sell the samsung and go for the EPL1.
Carabosse e2
11 39.5k 269 England
18 May 2011 12:25PM
Perhaps a good criterion is how much use you make of your DSLR and whether you tend to leave it at home because of its bulk and weight - and sometimes regret having done so.

That has been an issue for me since I bought my first film SLR, with 3 lenses, many years ago. Which is what makes M4/3 attractive. If is not an issue for you and your are content with your current equipment, you can just sell the Samsung and spend the money on high living! Wink (Or a new widget for your DSLR kit).
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
18 May 2011 12:41PM
Use my DSLR all the time, CB. Probably mainly because there is no compact or smaller camera that will give me the flexibility, especially on ISO; as I wouldn't use over ISO200/400 on them which is very limiting for me.
I am hoping with the samsung or EPL1, I can go to ISO800 or more.
Carabosse e2
11 39.5k 269 England
18 May 2011 12:46PM
With the E-PL2, essentially similar to the E-PL1, I have been using ISO 1600 quite happily. But you do need to shoot in RAW at that ISO level... the JPEG engine doesn't quite cut it although it is fine at ISO 800 and lower.

If you tend to shoot in RAW anyway, that won't be an issue. I am using RAW only on the E-PL2 now, having experimented with JPEG; it's easier to 'set and forget' so to speak.
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
18 May 2011 12:48PM
I did read that CB. I am just not sure what advantage EPL will give me compared to Samsung
strawman 10 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
18 May 2011 12:52PM
Since I bought an S95 I have been leaving my SLR at home quite a lot as I find up to ISO800 it is acceptable and the clincher is that because I can use it @ f2 it is comparable to running my DSLR at least two ISO stop faster (the depth of field at f2 on the compact looks close to f8 on my crop dSLR). Even if I stop at ISO 400 that is ISO1600 equivalent in the SLR. And I find I need no more than f4. The DSLR has advantages in low light and also action/long lens/wide angle lens situations, but for 70% of what I do the compact is good enough and its so small it fits in my pocket and I still get to shoot in RAW etc.

To be honest I am wondering if I should sell all my lenses except 10-20 and 100-400. I looked at M4/3 and will probably look again, the problem for me is it was not small enough in the same way that Canon's G series is not small enough.

I would expect ISO1600 to be achievable from the samsung, but we all have our views on what is or is not acceptable.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.