Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

The moon and jupiter are clear tonight

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    brian1208
    brian1208 e2 Member 1110169 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
    9 Mar 2014 - 7:38 PM

at least, they are down her in Dorset, with Jupiter currently to the left and just above the Moon. Bright enough that have been able shoot both hand-held with my EM-5 + 75-300 at 300mm and the exposure was ISO200 with 1/100th sec (could have been better maybe at 1/800th but it only needed a slight PP exposure tweak), f8.

(I've just checked, Jupiter needed 1/500sec under these settings)

Obviously it would be better of a tripod or even a monopod but I have good detail in the terminator and the rest isn't bad.

The system even auto-focused on Jupiter (I know, I didn't believe it either but it kept on doing that despite my disbelief)

Can't see any of the moons tonight but it is possible (just) to see some banding on the disc of Jupiter

moon-hand-held-300mm-9-3-14.jpg

This is a crop of one of the hand-held Jupiter, enlarged 4X in post-processing but I think it should be possible to get a sense of the detail I can see in the original

jupiter-hand-held-4x-mag-9-3-14.jpg

Last Modified By brian1208 at 9 Mar 2014 - 7:45 PM
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    9 Mar 2014 - 7:38 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

martin174
    martin174 e2 Member 8martin174 vcard United Kingdom
    9 Mar 2014 - 9:43 PM

Yep, great view of the moon tonight. Have been out and taken a couple of shots. Tripod used. I found getting the right exposure is not easy as I thought it would be. A lot of trial and error, mostly error.
    Martin

brian1208
    brian1208 e2 Member 1110169 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
    9 Mar 2014 - 10:31 PM

A good start point Martin is to take the first shot in aperture priority, spot metering (with the spot on the moon) and see what it shows for the correct exposure, then use that as the start point when you turn over to manual exposure for your final "perfect" shots Smile

martin174
    martin174 e2 Member 8martin174 vcard United Kingdom
    9 Mar 2014 - 10:56 PM

Cheers for the heads up on that. I will give it a go tomorrow night, providing the clouds stay away.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.