Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

The National Mood

jondf e2
8 2.7k
5 Oct 2012 2:30PM
So IS the national mood on the up? We've had the Jubilee celebrations and a reasonably successful Olympics. On the downside, the economy continues to limp as bankers keep their jobs. We're still slogging it out in Afghanistan and now this dreadful carry on with April Jones.

However, the article below suggests that things could be worse and that we're head and shoulders above the French which can't be bad. I think the 'One Nation' idea is a good one but not with a Tory government. Why is it that Conservative governments are always on hand to oversee private enterprises committing despicable acts of nepotism in the sole interests of private enterprise? Proper control and monitoring should come from a government that promotes the idea that we're all in this together and that rewards are there for everyone but they must first be earned. Ed Miliband senses this but his over earnest, schoolboyish zeal may yet be his undoing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19814806

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
5 Oct 2012 2:34PM
Sod off!
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
5 Oct 2012 2:35PM
Wink Tongue
answersonapostcard e2
10 12.7k 15 United Kingdom
5 Oct 2012 2:36PM
LOL Grin

I'm coming down with a cold so much the same as Mike.. Grin
mdpontin e2
10 6.0k Scotland
5 Oct 2012 2:44PM

Quote:Proper control and monitoring should come from a government that promotes the idea that we're all in this together

Hmmm..like the last Labour government, which with "proper control and monitoring" led us into the present mess in the first place! Not that the present goverment is performing all that well, but I fail to be convinced that the prescription for our ills is the Two Eds and company, thank you very much.

Tired old party-political claptrap. Nothing to see here.
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
5 Oct 2012 2:44PM
OK, now for serious comment...

Quote: I think the 'One Nation' idea is a good one but not with a Tory government.

One nation...that hackneyed old phrase beloved of politicians who don't really know what they mean by it and it gives opporunity for loads of vacuous rhetoric.
I remember one article by a political pundit several years ago who half in jest developed a way to assess the meaningfulness (? is that a word) of political promises - such as 'help the poor out of poverty'. Well, actually all main parties do; they just disagree about how best to do it.
One Nation - all parties want it. They just disagree about what it would be in practice and how it would work
Healthcare for all - all of them want it. They just disagree about how to deliver it.

Unsupririsingly the pundit reasoned that when a politician opens his mouth at election time there is often very little of meaning to make a decision on.

Quote:Why is it that Conservative governments are always on hand to oversee private enterprises committing despicable acts of nepotism in the sole interests of private enterprise?

You mean like Labour for 13 years?

Quote:Proper control and monitoring should come from a government that promotes the idea that we're all in this together...Ed Miliband senses this but his over earnest, schoolboyish zeal may yet be his undoing

Proper control and monitoring should come from any party irrespective of what they are promoting. It failed to happen under Labour and its failing to happen under the current coalition. And despite Millibland's rhetoric he has yet to convince me they would be any better.
5 Oct 2012 3:04PM
Sod off! Smile
answersonapostcard e2
10 12.7k 15 United Kingdom
5 Oct 2012 3:14PM
you're too late with that one Chris
5 Oct 2012 3:15PM

Quote:You're too late with that one Chris
I thought the answer would be Touché.
jondf e2
8 2.7k
5 Oct 2012 3:22PM
It's alright, I can take it ((( Tongue )))

Interestingly, not one insult is accompanied by any meaningful alternative in response. No surprises there then as insult usually finds its basis in rhetoric, sarcasm and cant ....and just for good measure ------> ((( Tongue )))
5 Oct 2012 3:42PM

Quote:It's alright, I can take it ((( Tongue )))

My light hearted pop was at Mikehit, giving him some of his own medicine. Had he been more verbose, I would have used more imagination with my rhetoric. Grin

5 Oct 2012 3:49PM

Quote:Why is it that Conservative governments are always on hand to oversee private enterprises committing despicable acts of nepotism in the sole interests of private enterprise?

Grin it's almost as if the late nineties and noughties didn't happen lmao ... Grin
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
5 Oct 2012 3:54PM
I thought the point of an insult was to avoid giving a meaningful answer Smile

If the alternative is to the opening idea that the mood is on the up (to which my pseudo-grouchy retort was aimed) , I would give an unqualified 'maybe' because of the proximity of the Olympics/paralympics, Ryder Cup etc etc.
But the comparison to France is interesting - although we are in the same boat, they are climbing into it 20 years after we did. They are making long-overdue changes to their provision of pensions and healthcare and to the size of their civil service and after so many years delaying the inevitiable the shock is all the greater. We have been doing this since the late 70s and have still not found the best way to tackle it but the length of the process has given us a somwhat jaded view of 'you can't fight city hall'

defiance-copy.jpg

I think France still has the better quality of life but how long this will last if they drive businesses away is anybody's guess.
jondf e2
8 2.7k
5 Oct 2012 4:26PM
Mike - you're to be applauded for taking the time to give a sensible and reasoned response .....for a change ....sniff ((( Tongue )))
collywobles e2
10 3.4k 9 United Kingdom
5 Oct 2012 5:14PM

Quote:national mood

Mood is a state of mind. There are people who's glass is always half empty and who have a constant negative outlook on anything they address from the moment they get out of bed to the time they get back in it. My glass is always half full, I am glad to get up in the mornings and I look forward to another great day.

As for the Government, I dont like this Tory one but I sure dont want another 13 years of a Labour one.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.