Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

The National Mood

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Keebsuk
Keebsuk Junior Member 232 forum posts United Kingdom
5 Oct 2012 - 5:17 PM

Quote: national mood

Mood is a state of mind. There are people who's glass is always half empty and who have a constant negative outlook on anything they address from the moment they get out of bed to the time they get back in it. My glass is always half full, I am glad to get up in the mornings and I look forward to another great day.

As for the Government, I dont like this Tory one but I sure dont want another 13 years of a Labour one.

you have posted my thoughts to the letter which is always spooky!

As a nation we are far better off than many but with the recent murders of the bobbies in Manchester and the abduction/murder of the little girl I expect there will be a fair few feeling "gloomy" at the moment.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
5 Oct 2012 - 5:17 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139544 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
5 Oct 2012 - 5:22 PM

There is no National Mood - it's a media invention! Wink

puertouk
puertouk  31081 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
5 Oct 2012 - 5:31 PM

Pity Labour hit a Worldwide economic collapse. What's the Cons excuse? We could do with Robin Hood, as the Cons take from the poor and give to the rich! Always have and always will. The Iron lady broke the workers only way of getting a fair deal, the Unions, which are now toothless.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139544 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
5 Oct 2012 - 5:50 PM

Michael Portillo made the interesting point, on This Week last night, that talk "giving" to the rich was a nonsense - because it is not the Government's money in the first place!

Jestertheclown

Quote: The Iron lady broke the workers only way of getting a fair deal, the Unions, which are now toothless.

I was in the workplace when and before that happened and my experience of trade unions was that they were more interested in causing trouble than getting a 'fair deal' for the workers.
I was a printer at that time and forced to be a member of a closed shop. The print unions, not just mine, would call stoppages, work to rules, overtime bans, anything to disrupt production at the drop of a hat.
None of we members, where I worked, and in other printing places locally, wanted anything of the sort.
The notion that trade unions were useful to their members was somewhat fanciful.

mdpontin
mdpontin  106016 forum posts Scotland
5 Oct 2012 - 6:25 PM

Quote: Pity Labour hit a Worldwide economic collapse. What's the Cons excuse? We could do with Robin Hood, as the Cons take from the poor and give to the rich! Always have and always will. The Iron lady broke the workers only way of getting a fair deal, the Unions, which are now toothless.

A perfect example of why I referred to "party-political claptrap". It will always suit the supporters of either the "red team" or the "blue team" to present their heavily biased view of events, which inevitably exonerates their favourite team from all blame.

I was thinking earlier that we get the political system we deserve. Many, I suspect most, of us never bother to think about the issues in any depth, or do any in-depth research into the true state of affairs and how we arrived at that point. I include myself in that - I'm not getting at anybody. We vote for our favourite team, usually either because we believe that the other lot are inherently the bad guys and "our" team are the good guys, or because that's how we've always voted. And as a result, all we're doing is exchanging one set of "lunatics" with another in the management of the "asylum".

Last Modified By mdpontin at 5 Oct 2012 - 6:26 PM
paulcookphotography

I think idea that we are 'all in this together' is a little outdated. With devolved parliaments, and the look for independence, i'd say we are all far from in it together.

With regards to us all being on a high due to the Jubilee celebrations, well, maybe the further south you are, and possibly which generation too, but i think its fair to say that the celebrations were largely a good excuse for a party and not a reflection on the UK mood in general. The Olympics had us on a high, and made many of us proud. Not only of our athletes, but of the volunteers, organisation (excluding the G4 sham) and success of the games, and i hope that continues through to Glasgow hosting the Commonwealth Games in 2014. However, as great as recent events have been, it id hardly going to whitewash the farcical government, the banking fiasco and the state of the UK as a whole with unemployment, health and other major issues.

Sorry, but i think anyone thinking we are all on a high is either:

A: High on something
B: Not in the UK
C: In a world of their own

mikehit
mikehit  56741 forum posts United Kingdom11 Constructive Critique Points
5 Oct 2012 - 7:08 PM

Quote: There is no National Mood - it's a media invention

I agree with you to a point - I get fed up of the press taking a slant on things and proclaiming 'the people are hacked off' or 'the people want to know!' when in fact most people really don't give a damn (or in my experience it is never a topic of conversation until it appears as a headline). In that repsect the press do a lot to create a non-existent atmosphere.

But you can say there is a national mood in that you can compare the national optimism of the 1960s and 1980s (social mobility, greater purchasing power) with the financial worries of the 1970s and 2000s (people are more worried about their jobs and houses, and less spending). I know there are some who will say 'it was superficial, look at cardboard city and the poor getting poorer' etc but the fact was the general mood was better. You can argue whether the uplift in mood was false, or unfounded, but to me that is like Frazer in Dad's Army who would call 'We're Doomed' no matter how good the circumstances.

parallax
parallax e2 Member 5119 forum postsparallax vcard United Kingdom
5 Oct 2012 - 7:15 PM

This is the age of the 'professional' politician. You've either got the posh boy Tories, or sense of entitlement Labour, all on the European gravy train washed down with flip-flop cling onto power at all cost Libs.

Is it any wonder nobody wants to vote for these bunch of twats.

mikehit
5 Oct 2012 - 7:21 PM

Quote: Pity Labour hit a Worldwide economic collapse. What's the Cons excuse? We could do with Robin Hood, as the Cons take from the poor and give to the rich! Always have and always will. The Iron lady broke the workers only way of getting a fair deal, the Unions, which are now toothless.

One side of the argument: Labout hit an economic collapse, but Brown was so convinced he was responsible for abolishing boom and bust that he had stripped the country of all reserves which gave us no cushion against unpredictable events. Not only are the conservatives hogtied by the same recession but they have no funds to work with. And all numbers produced by the Labour party show they would have followed just the same path with minimal variation in real terms. And as for "Robin Hood", Brown stole from everyone and gave nothing back to anyone, using the cash to fulfill sociast desires to build a bloated civil service.

The other side: Tories are on a ideological crusade trying to finish Margaret Thatcher's using monetary policies that are not relevant to today's circumstances. Blair was Thatcher-lite with no guiding principles that would have give a foundation for the economy and welfare, swaying back and forwards to stay ahead of the latest opinion poll resulting in a waste of 13 years, 6 of it with record majorities.

Whichever way you look at it, Labour comes out no better than Conservative. In fact I would say they come out worse, because of the sheer hipocrisy of their 'high ideals' and their actions.

Quote: I was thinking earlier that we get the political system we deserve. Many, I suspect most, of us never bother to think about the issues in any depth, or do any in-depth research into the true state of affairs

Therein lies the basic problem.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110402 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
5 Oct 2012 - 7:51 PM

Quote: Pity Labour hit a Worldwide economic collapse

or, to put it another way, played a large part in causing such, after wasting much of our economic strength by their policies (as seems par for course for successive Labour Governments over the years

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012610 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
5 Oct 2012 - 9:00 PM

and Gordon Brown himself admitted he should have regulated the banks more, but didnt.

One union man seems to have done alright for himself, I though union bosses were for the people but Mr Scargill seems to be doing rather nicely .. still.

mikehit
5 Oct 2012 - 10:52 PM

Quote: And Gordon Brown himself admitted he should have regulated the banks more, but didnt.

One union man seems to have done alright for himself, I though union bosses were for the people but Mr Scargill seems to be doing rather nicely .. still.

I have no problem with union leaders earning a salary similar to a person running a comparable-sized company. But they should remember that when talking about 'fat cats' - unless a fat cat is one who earns more than you.

gcarth
gcarth e2 Member 102293 forum postsgcarth vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
6 Oct 2012 - 10:09 AM

Quote: or, to put it another way, played a large part in causing such, after wasting much of our economic strength by their policies (as seems par for course for successive Labour Governments over the years

I think the only reason why successive "Labour" governments have failed over the years is because they have actually carried out Tory policies. It's no good blaming Trade Unions for so much our our economic decline - that's largely media (nearly all Tory biased) propaganda. Both management and unions have been partly to blame for many of our economic ills but since Thatcher emasculated the unions, have things improved? I think the answer is a resounding no.
New "Labour" didn't cause the present economic problems: they just exacerbated them.

Our economic ills, indeed the world's economic ills, have become continually worse ever since Thatcher and Reagan let the rabid Neo-con dogs of "free market" fraud off the leash. These loonies, with their callous policies and fraudulent propaganda, have caused or facilitated more murder and mayhem across the planet than can ever be forgivable.

Quote: Tories are on a ideological crusade trying to finish Margaret Thatcher's using monetary policies that are not relevant to today's circumstances.

These monetary polices were never needed for any time - past, present or future. These "policies" were based entirely on the dogma and greed of the ruling rich elites - mainly US driven - and designed to make the rich even richer without restraint from government.

Sorry to sound so glum but I find it difficult to find any humour on this subject. Wink

Jestertheclown
6 Oct 2012 - 10:16 AM

So you're completely impartial then . . ?

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.