Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

The New 'Mark as good critique' function

redstag e2
9 100 14 United Kingdom
29 May 2008 9:11AM
I am unsure about this function.
I understand the need to moderate it, however what criteria is being used? I would think if someone makes a comment that causes the photographer to reappraise their image and maybe even reprocess it, this makes a good critique.
I also wonder if people now feel a little intimidated about leaving any comment.

I am yet to be convinced.

Jon

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

culturedcanvas 9 4.7k 59 United Kingdom
29 May 2008 9:17AM
Doesnt bother me in the slightest. I think that the need to moderate it is actually not a bad idea ... but Im sure that many a good critique is being turned down on the basis of moderation .. i have marked a couple as being useful and then they have not been accepted.

Just because the comment is short or doesnt appear useful to the person approving the crit doesnt mean it wasnt useful to me !!
mattw 10 5.2k 10 United Kingdom
29 May 2008 9:33AM
From the FAQ . Hope this helps
redstag e2
9 100 14 United Kingdom
29 May 2008 9:46AM
Dan, you said it better than me! My point exactly.
Matt, I read that before starting the thread. I'm still not convinced.
Jon
davidbailie e2
11 451 6 United Kingdom
29 May 2008 9:52AM
the idea of someone else marking a comment on anothers portfolio as 'good critique' without a means of declaring who flagged the comment lays it open to abuse and making political points as opposed to genuine response - with all respect to the moderators they too can be equally culpable ??

db
conrad 10 10.9k 116
29 May 2008 9:55AM

Quote:Just because the comment is short or doesnt appear useful to the person approving the crit doesnt mean it wasnt useful to me !!

I think that a comment (now green) made about my latest upload proves that length or even completeness isn't necessarily taken into consideration.
answersonapostcard e2
10 12.6k 15 United Kingdom
29 May 2008 9:56AM

Quote:with all respect to the moderators they too can be equally culpable ??
Before anyone starts making assumptions, there are several team members able to deny and approve critique.

Quote:without a means of declaring who flagged the comment lays it open to abuse and making political points
The fact that it is anonymous actually helps relieve the potential of this.
Pete e2
13 18.5k 96 England
29 May 2008 9:57AM
It's just another subjective process that is open to criticism. It's not going to be perfect whichever way we do it so can we live with the way we've chosen. We believe it's an improvement on the current method used for voting on photos.
davidbailie e2
11 451 6 United Kingdom
29 May 2008 10:00AM

Quote:The fact that it is anonymous actually helps relieve the potential of this

............well if you have the all facts that's ok then .......the fact is that I think what you're assuming as a fact is factualy incorrect ??

Quote:Before anyone starts making assumptions, there are several team members able to deny and approve critique

........... Not sure this answers the point.

db
lobsterboy e2
10 14.2k 13 United Kingdom
29 May 2008 10:06AM

Quote:Quote:The fact that it is anonymous actually helps relieve the potential of this............well if you have the all facts that's ok then .......the fact is that I think what you're assuming as a fact is factualy incorrect ??

db

I don't even begin to understand that post...any chance of a translation for those of us who are slow of thinking?
davidbailie e2
11 451 6 United Kingdom
29 May 2008 10:10AM
Quote: any chance of a translation for those of us who are slow of thinking

the one thing I'm sure of is that you understand the point......... Smile

db
lobsterboy e2
29 May 2008 10:12AM

Quote:the one thing I'm sure of is that you understand the point.

Nope - haven't got a scooby.
redstag e2
9 100 14 United Kingdom
29 May 2008 10:15AM
What flagged this issue to me, and has frankly annoyed me about the system is that I marked a comment as a good critique on my latest upload (Old Wardour's Treat) which appears to have been turned down. Yet that appraisal, referring me back to Matt's own experiments, made me look again at the shot and produce two variants.
Wooly made a similar comment more succinctly which I also marked up this morning and it was approved.
I like the idea behind the good critique flag, it could even be taken further with a good critique gallery, but surely where the photographer has flagged a good critique and then done mods as a result, the comment was obviously helpful.
It appears others have had similar frustrations.
Jon
culturedcanvas 9 4.7k 59 United Kingdom
29 May 2008 10:17AM
The one thing I am sure of is that I'm no longer sure of anything ...
lobsterboy e2
29 May 2008 10:18AM

Quote:The one thing I am sure of is that I'm no longer sure of anything ...

I think it's catching Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.