Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

The new CANON 600ex Speed Lites

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    canonfan46
    15 Jan 2013 - 7:50 PM

Hi all,

I have two 580ex units in perfect working order but I have been looking at the new canon speed lite flashes and was just wondering if they had any new capability that would justify the upgrade.

The 580ex has a guide number of 58 and the new 600ex has 60. Minimum gain really.

The 580ex has a 105 zoom, and the 600ex has 200 zoom. How much of a difference would this make. Could be useful in my bird photography?

What else am I missing that would warrant an upgrade?

Also another puzzling point:-
    The 600EX-RT has radio transmittion to slave units. (?)......... as oposed to infrared on the 600ex (?)

As I thought that RT would be an addittional feature, why is it that the 600EX-RT is the cheaper option?

Any thoughts?

The 600EX

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    15 Jan 2013 - 7:50 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

arhb
    arhb e2 Member 72330 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom68 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Jan 2013 - 8:05 PM

Hi John,
    the 600EX speedlite has radio reception, so can be used with the 600EX RT radio transmitter unit.
    The downside, from what I can undersatnd is that this is exclusive transmit/receive relationship, so you can only use 600EX units with the transmitter.
    If you plan to invest in more 600EX units, it will make a nice set-up, but if you want to mix and match studio lights and different speedlites,
    the basic radio sets will work fine.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    canonfan46
    15 Jan 2013 - 8:13 PM

Quote: the basic radio sets will work fine.

Do you mean Infrared?

arhb
    arhb e2 Member 72330 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom68 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Jan 2013 - 8:21 PM

No, they use radio frequency rather than infra red, so can transmit round corners/through walls.
    Infra red needs line of sight(all models of canon speedlite up until the 600EX use infra red)
    An example of Radio frequency triggers/receivers would be RF602 for example.

Last Modified By arhb at 15 Jan 2013 - 8:28 PM
    canonfan46
    15 Jan 2013 - 8:28 PM

Ok, I see, I thought by basic sets you meant the 580ex.
    So given that I dont do any studio work, there is not a lot to be gained in the new 600's?
    Is there any advantage to be had in the E-TTL department?

arhb
    15 Jan 2013 - 8:33 PM

Well, if you want to use something like Pocket wizards, which are ettl radio triggers, they will allow you to trigger your speedlites with adjustment from the camera.

I'm assuming you do your bird work with 580's set up as master and slave?

canonfan46
    15 Jan 2013 - 8:36 PM

No, for birding I use the flash with a "better beamer" or on camera if close enough.

arhb
    15 Jan 2013 - 8:49 PM

Ah okay.
    When you use your 580's together, how do you set them up to fire together?

canonfan46
    15 Jan 2013 - 8:51 PM

One on camera will fire the other remotely or I have an STE2 which fires both flashes remotely.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.