Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

The New Canon 7D

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
JamesBurns
1 Sep 2009 - 8:04 AM

...Discuss...

18MP in a crop sensor body - worth it?

Seems to be launched in competition to the Nikon D300/D300s, but in relation to the D300s I can find no mention of it having dual card slots - anybody know anything one way or the other?

Anybody find anything particularly interesting/exciting/noteworthy about it?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
1 Sep 2009 - 8:04 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
1 Sep 2009 - 8:24 AM

Is it 7D or 70D?
I would have though '7D' would be FF.

monkeygrip
1 Sep 2009 - 8:33 AM

It is the 7D Cole and it is APS-C it will be the 3D next until they have a camera in every price bracket.

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
1 Sep 2009 - 8:43 AM

The way they name the cameras is getting more and more confusing... LOL

BTW, I thought the MP on 50D isn't doing it any good. So they didn't learn from the lesson then?

Last Modified By Coleslaw at 1 Sep 2009 - 8:44 AM
GazzaG2003
GazzaG2003  11252 forum posts England
1 Sep 2009 - 8:47 AM

I just read a review on this camera and it mentions nothing about dual cards, it takes either a CF or UDMA

Coleslaw
1 Sep 2009 - 8:54 AM

8 fps image capture
1.0x magnification
19-point cross-type AF sensor

I like.

strawman
strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
1 Sep 2009 - 9:25 AM

I like the sound of the body features, 18mp on crop sensor, hmm I will wait to be convinced but am worried?

Now if it were a full frame camera with that body spec ............

Just seen the DPREVIEW preview and yes it looks like Canon has sat up and listened to everyting, except the concern on the number of MP on the sensor. I just hope their new sensor technology delivers.

Last Modified By strawman at 1 Sep 2009 - 9:36 AM
Coleslaw
1 Sep 2009 - 9:36 AM

Quote: Now if it were a full frame camera with that body spec ............

absolutely...I would be more than happy to trade my 5D2 if thats the case...Smile

montechoro
montechoro  112340 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
1 Sep 2009 - 9:37 AM

Quote: I like the sound of the body features, 18mp on crop sensor, hmm I will wait to be convinced but am worried?

It might have a chance of beating the D700 sales - a real pity it's not full frame - the D700 is a stunning camera

montechoro
1 Sep 2009 - 9:37 AM

Quote: Quote:Now if it were a full frame camera with that body spec ............absolutely...I would be more than happy to trade my 5D2 if thats the case...

Ditto - well, 5D in my case

Last Modified By montechoro at 1 Sep 2009 - 9:38 AM
mattw
mattw  105189 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
1 Sep 2009 - 9:42 AM

18MP crop sensor? If you shoot at wide apertures and low ISO and with very good glass, then yes, it probably will make sense.

With the high frame rate, upgraded AF and high resolution sensor (good for cropping) - this camera looks like it is aimed directly at the wildlife and sports photographers. But we will have to see how it performs at high ISO.

I wonder how this camera will be priced.

Quote:

Yes, that would be a very intersing proposition.

lumenessence
1 Sep 2009 - 9:55 AM

As it stands, the 7D seems to be pretty impression on raw specs

- 18MP crop sensor
- Digic 4 (same as 50D, 5D MkII)
- 8 FPS (15 continuous at RAW, 90 continuous at JPEG)
- ISO 6400 (expandable up to 12800 ... same as 50D, 5D MkII expands up to 25600)
- 1080p Full HD video at max 30fps

And to confirm ... Yes it only takes CF cards
One other little thing that some people think is absolutely necessary (I personally don't really care) ... 100% viewfinder

Body Material: Stainless steel with polycarbonate with glass fibre

Another very attractive spec is that the 7D is EF-S compatible, which is great for those who have lenses like the EFS 10-22mm and EF-S 17-55 f2.8

If I was looking at buying a 50D, and saw this camera (even if the price would be almost double) I'd seriously consider buying this camera. I'd also buy this camera if I was serious about my sports photography and didn't want to pay for a 1D MkIII.

At the end of the day, there's something magical about Full Frame sensors, and if this camera had a FF sensor it would be the ultimate camera. From canon's point of view that would be stupid since they would be shooting the 5D2 in the foot. But I think the 5D2 and 7D will pave way to be the dependable little brothers of 1Ds and 1D series.

On a side note ... improved weather sealing would be great, the PDf I got from work didn't mention much about improvements in weather sealing.

montechoro
1 Sep 2009 - 10:00 AM

I believe it does have improved weather sealing

Coleslaw
1 Sep 2009 - 10:32 AM

1700!!!!!

Overread
Overread  63746 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
1 Sep 2009 - 10:35 AM

Quote: I like the sound of the body features, 18mp on crop sensor, hmm I will wait to be convinced but am worried?

I'm in the same boat - eveything else (including the video) rae things that I really really like to see in the camera, but the 50D didn't wow us with ISO performance (the same as the 40Ds effectivly). I do hope canon has pulled out the stops for this camera, if not then it will be a dissapointment.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.