Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

The new iMac looks mighty fine!!!

CathyT e2
8 7.3k 18 United Kingdom
2 Nov 2012 5:38PM
YUMMY.... Wink

Chris_L will surely like this one!!!

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JJGEE 9 6.4k 18 England
2 Nov 2012 5:41PM
Yes, and they claim to have reduced the flare / reflections on the monitor by 75%.
CathyT e2
8 7.3k 18 United Kingdom
2 Nov 2012 5:45PM
Yes......the anti iMac brigade will have no excuses now.......all those Ninja jokes.......obsolete.
redsnappa 12 1.9k United Kingdom
2 Nov 2012 5:49PM
The thinner design will mean Apple will have to under clock the CPU even more to control the heat dissipation from the processor.
CathyT e2
8 7.3k 18 United Kingdom
2 Nov 2012 5:52PM
...and no disc drive.....but an option for Fusion Drive......(whatever that is)???
JJGEE 9 6.4k 18 England
2 Nov 2012 6:03PM
Fusion Drive sounds like a good concept.

A mixture of a flash drive and traditional hard drive.

Disk intensive items, such as the OS are stored on the flash drive making using them quicker.

Additionally it will detect that you use, say, CS6 more than iPHOTO and switch CS6 to the flash drive and iPHOTO to the hard drive.

All in the background, nothing for the user to do.
2 Nov 2012 6:04PM
They really look nice but sticking mobile gfx chips in them is rather lame and not much you can do to upgrade, never mind under clocking the cpus to run cooler. So what you have is a mac mini stuck inside a screen.
Before you say it no im not anti mac as there is apple devices in the house, I built my i7 pc to run os x mountain lion and windows os's on ssd drives natively + 27inch panel same as what is in the imacs for em just over 1k nice to have expansion and choice. Only draw back I cant get support from apple.

What I and lots of other people have done is not everyones cup of tea all the same.
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
2 Nov 2012 6:06PM

Quote:but sticking mobile gfx chips in them is rather lame and not much you can do to upgrade, never mind under clocking the cpus to run cooler. So what you have is a mac mini stuck inside a screen.

That is not good indeed if that's the case.
llareggub 4 743 United Kingdom
2 Nov 2012 6:11PM
Looks nice but horrifically over priced for a "tool" which is what it is as far as I am concerned!
2 Nov 2012 6:14PM
Coleslaw

http://www.tonymacx86.com/284-apple-s-new-imacs-have-ivy-bridge-desktop-cpus.html

if someone wants to remove this link it's ok, but it is not against the law in any way.
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
2 Nov 2012 6:20PM
Where did it say it use mobile gfx chips like mac mini, Gareth?
2 Nov 2012 6:25PM
Cole it dosent state the mac mini on that post just the imac sorry for the confusion. Im multitasking atm trying out the fusion drive setup..lol
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
2 Nov 2012 6:26PM
Lol....
JJGEE 9 6.4k 18 England
2 Nov 2012 6:30PM

Quote:Looks nice but horrifically over priced for a "tool" which is what it is as far as I am concerned!

I have several camera lenses that cost more than the iMac, and they are just a " tool " as well Wink
User_Removed 10 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
2 Nov 2012 6:41PM
I think the look of them is starting to get a bit dated, when they first came out they looked ultracool. I doubt I'd get one even if they were really cheap, I like to use a multi-monitor setup. I like a computer that is a powerful workstation rather than an underpowered overpriced ornament for browsing Facebook Grin

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.