Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

The new iMac looks mighty fine!!!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

CathyT
CathyT e2 Member 87281 forum postsCathyT vcard United Kingdom18 Constructive Critique Points
2 Nov 2012 - 5:38 PM

YUMMY.... Wink

Chris_L will surely like this one!!!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
2 Nov 2012 - 5:38 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JJGEE
JJGEE  96342 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
2 Nov 2012 - 5:41 PM

Yes, and they claim to have reduced the flare / reflections on the monitor by 75%.

CathyT
CathyT e2 Member 87281 forum postsCathyT vcard United Kingdom18 Constructive Critique Points
2 Nov 2012 - 5:45 PM

Yes......the anti iMac brigade will have no excuses now.......all those Ninja jokes.......obsolete.

redsnappa
redsnappa  121923 forum posts United Kingdom
2 Nov 2012 - 5:49 PM

The thinner design will mean Apple will have to under clock the CPU even more to control the heat dissipation from the processor.

CathyT
2 Nov 2012 - 5:52 PM

...and no disc drive.....but an option for Fusion Drive......(whatever that is)???

Last Modified By CathyT at 2 Nov 2012 - 5:56 PM
JJGEE
2 Nov 2012 - 6:03 PM

Fusion Drive sounds like a good concept.

A mixture of a flash drive and traditional hard drive.

Disk intensive items, such as the OS are stored on the flash drive making using them quicker.

Additionally it will detect that you use, say, CS6 more than iPHOTO and switch CS6 to the flash drive and iPHOTO to the hard drive.

All in the background, nothing for the user to do.

GarethRobinson
GarethRobinson e2 Member 8998 forum postsGarethRobinson vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
2 Nov 2012 - 6:04 PM

They really look nice but sticking mobile gfx chips in them is rather lame and not much you can do to upgrade, never mind under clocking the cpus to run cooler. So what you have is a mac mini stuck inside a screen.
Before you say it no im not anti mac as there is apple devices in the house, I built my i7 pc to run os x mountain lion and windows os's on ssd drives natively + 27inch panel same as what is in the imacs for em just over 1k nice to have expansion and choice. Only draw back I cant get support from apple.

What I and lots of other people have done is not everyones cup of tea all the same.

Last Modified By GarethRobinson at 2 Nov 2012 - 6:12 PM
Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
2 Nov 2012 - 6:06 PM

Quote: but sticking mobile gfx chips in them is rather lame and not much you can do to upgrade, never mind under clocking the cpus to run cooler. So what you have is a mac mini stuck inside a screen.

That is not good indeed if that's the case.

llareggub
llareggub  4727 forum posts United Kingdom
2 Nov 2012 - 6:11 PM

Looks nice but horrifically over priced for a "tool" which is what it is as far as I am concerned!

GarethRobinson
GarethRobinson e2 Member 8998 forum postsGarethRobinson vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
2 Nov 2012 - 6:14 PM

Coleslaw

http://www.tonymacx86.com/284-apple-s-new-imacs-have-ivy-bridge-desktop-cpus.htm...

if someone wants to remove this link it's ok, but it is not against the law in any way.

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
2 Nov 2012 - 6:20 PM

Where did it say it use mobile gfx chips like mac mini, Gareth?

GarethRobinson
2 Nov 2012 - 6:25 PM

Cole it dosent state the mac mini on that post just the imac sorry for the confusion. Im multitasking atm trying out the fusion drive setup..lol

Last Modified By GarethRobinson at 2 Nov 2012 - 6:32 PM
Coleslaw
2 Nov 2012 - 6:26 PM

Lol....

JJGEE
2 Nov 2012 - 6:30 PM

Quote: Looks nice but horrifically over priced for a "tool" which is what it is as far as I am concerned!

I have several camera lenses that cost more than the iMac, and they are just a " tool " as well Wink

User_Removed
2 Nov 2012 - 6:41 PM

I think the look of them is starting to get a bit dated, when they first came out they looked ultracool. I doubt I'd get one even if they were really cheap, I like to use a multi-monitor setup. I like a computer that is a powerful workstation rather than an underpowered overpriced ornament for browsing Facebook Grin

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.