Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

The new Terry Wogan

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

arhb
arhb e2 Member 72332 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom68 Constructive Critique Points
24 Oct 2009 - 9:27 AM

Anyone who listens to radio 2 in the morning, will now know about Terry Wogan leaving, and being replaced by Chris Evans, who takes over in January.
Now, hard as I've tried to accustom myself to Evans' sense of humour, I can't do it - I turn the radio off at 5pm.
More to the point, I cannot see how Evans will fit into Wogan's 'shoes', in the way that the 7.30-9.30 show is run.
I won't be listening to Evans in the morning, as it would not be the way I like my mornings to be - just about anyone but Evans!
Your thoughts....

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
24 Oct 2009 - 9:27 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

rossd
rossd  111061 forum posts England
24 Oct 2009 - 9:43 AM

Totally agree with you!!

I sometimes have a long drive to work in the morning (1 hour plus) and listening to TW helps pass the time. Terry is sometimes very politically 'incorrect' and his sense of humour is often quite ribald and very adult. Evans in contrast is just a little boy with a very underdeveloped sense of humour (his 'what have you done for the first time today' slot where he gets a child to tell him what they did ..................aaaaaargh!!!).

Obviously part of the BBC's attempt to drive away the older listeners and attract younger ones (which is what Radio 1 is for or so I thought).

I think Ken Bruce would have been a far better choice but of course the listener has little or no say in the matter

.................IMO of course!!

User_Removed
24 Oct 2009 - 9:51 AM

Quote: I turn the radio off at 5pm.

That's three of us then.

Why? What is the thinking behind this? Chalk and Cheese is the expression that comes to mind when I think about this.

There are far better people - who are underrated and under-used IMO - on BBC Radio who would fit into the slot far better than Evans and yet, still bring 'change' to the show.

Alice Richardson (Richard Allinson Wink) for one...

Last Modified By User_Removed at 24 Oct 2009 - 9:53 AM
Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318459 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
24 Oct 2009 - 9:52 AM

I was almost addicted to Chris Evans on Big Breafast (when Gabbie was there too)...at the time the guy was a true genius and totally innovative, providing us with couldn't-miss entertainment...and then over the years he started to be less innovative and more egotistical. I lost interest at the time he was hanging around with Oasis etc.

I saw him a few weeks ago on Jonathan Ross where he explained he'd burnt out at that time and that encouraged me to think that maybe we will see (or in this case hear) some new material. Taking the bowl of water onto JR kind of reminded me of the Chris Evans I loved - almost a hint of surrealism, in the same way you never really know what to expect from Reeves and Mortimer. This unpredictability might not suit everyone though, but he's an extremely clever guy and I'm sure, if he's back on track, he will fill the Wogan void with ease...and if I was to put money on it I would be betting on him raising listening figures.

Last Modified By Pete at 24 Oct 2009 - 9:54 AM
MrGoatsmilk
24 Oct 2009 - 9:56 AM

I cant stand terry wogan i have tried to listen but would rather listen to the engine noise. I will listen to chris evans and can jump between him and chris moyles on my long drive to work. Most of whats on the radio annoyes me at some point though mainly all the other radio one djs and many local radio ones.

arhb
arhb e2 Member 72332 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom68 Constructive Critique Points
24 Oct 2009 - 9:59 AM

I will be interested to see how the ratings are in a years time.
I hope they drop like a lead balloon, leading to someone better suited, being bought in to fill the seat.
I do feel more at ease, in the comfort of knowing I'm not alone in my thoughts about this issue : )

arhb
24 Oct 2009 - 10:07 AM

Pete, you raise 2 interesting points -
Even when 'he' started his TV/radio career, I was never at ease with him, which has never changed.
Reeves and Mortimer - now I would be very happy to listen to their radio show all day long, but I would never make any kind of creative association between them and chris evans.

Geraint
Geraint  8715 forum posts Wales34 Constructive Critique Points
24 Oct 2009 - 10:07 AM

I'm a massive fan of Chris Evans' show. He's a very versatile broadcaster/performer, able to cater for a wide range of listeners (he's great with the kids who phone in to his show for example). I also love listening to Terry Wogan in the mornings. They're both very quirky and I personally think that the transition will be much smoother than a lot of people think. Chris is undoubtedly sensitive to the fact that Wogan has a huge following of loyal fans (as he indicated on Jonathan Ross' show), so I think he'll try his best to keep them on board but also put his own brand of humour on the show. I for one am looking forward to January.
Geraint

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318459 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
24 Oct 2009 - 10:09 AM

Quote: Most of whats on the radio annoyes me at some point

Me too I flick around when I'm on a car journey and usually end up on Classical FM and I really don't like classical music, but it's better than the voice of some of the djs or the constant advert breaks. On the way home a few weeks ago I stumbled on a station i'd not come across before Signal 1 FM or something like that...they played a track on the warp label and then after a description of who that was went into Pink Floyd's Arnold Lane. I couldn't believe my luck...but minutes into that I drove out of the range and it flicked back to same-old Galaxy FM's dance tunes.

Quote: I cant stand terry wogan i have tried to listen but would rather listen to the engine noise

I have a similar view. I guess Wogan, like Chris Moyles, is the Marmite of DJs.

Quote: so I think he'll try his best to keep them on board but also put his own brand of humour on the show.

I'm sure in the job interview the brief would have clearly stated he has to keep his existing listeners happy, but equally we know Chris has a strong mind of his own and is very confident so I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't do some things that will pull in many more new listeners at a cost to losing existing ones.

Quote: but I would never make any kind of creative association between them and chris evans.

It was the bowl of water incident that I refer to similar creativity. If I'm not wrong I think R&M have influenced his ideas from time to time.

Last Modified By Pete at 24 Oct 2009 - 10:31 AM
Snapper
Snapper  93769 forum posts United States Minor Outlying Islands3 Constructive Critique Points
24 Oct 2009 - 10:16 AM

I don't listen to either of them, but I did hear Chris Evans on the Fred MacAuley show on Radio Scotland and Fred raised this very point. The answer was that extensive research showed the average age of a Wogan breakfast listener is 53, whereas the average age of an Evans teatime listener is 51, so there would be no need to change the music or format. They're possibly not the same people, though! Tongue

Last Modified By Snapper at 24 Oct 2009 - 10:17 AM
dcash29
dcash29  91918 forum posts England
24 Oct 2009 - 10:23 AM

I feel Evans is totally the wrong choice unless he changes his style. Who wants someone so manic in the mornings?.....not me. Will be interesting to see if the car crash rate goes up.
Although at his current slot he does give you that positive lift after the day at work.
I not keen on Jonnie walker either.

My choice would have been Steve Wright.......bet he was asked but happy with what he's got.

Last Modified By dcash29 at 24 Oct 2009 - 10:26 AM
rossd
24 Oct 2009 - 10:27 AM

Quote: will pull in many more new readers at a cost to losing existing ones.

Chris Evans' listeners can read ...........??

Smile Smile

Pete
24 Oct 2009 - 10:30 AM

Quote: I feel Evans is totally the wrong choice unless he changes his style. Who wants someone so manic in the mornings?.....not me.

A true professional can adapt to his target audience. I believe Chris has that ability, and I'm sure the people who made the decision feel the same. We will have to wait and see. No matter what he does there will be many who will never like the sound of his voice, the pace and the music he plays*.

* Interesting Q - do radio djs have full control of the music choice or is a researcher generally in charge of the play list?

Quote: Chris Evans' listeners can read ...........??

Doh...in mag mode! I've changed it now so you look daft Wink

Last Modified By Pete at 24 Oct 2009 - 10:31 AM
rossd
24 Oct 2009 - 10:39 AM

Quote: so you look daft

I don't need you to make me look daft.... I can manage it on my own thanks!

Wink

User_Removed
24 Oct 2009 - 10:44 AM

I'm the other way 'round. I can't abide Wogan and while there was a time I couldn't abide Evans either I've warmed to him in his new role. He's played a very good hand with the evening show. Yes, there may be wholesale demographic changes in the morning listening audience but I welcome it.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.