Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

The northern lights in Northumberland

Andy1979 8 754 2 England
29 Sep 2011 2:51PM
Hi i was reading the paper today the northern lights would be visable for the next few days in northumberland, I am wondering if anyone knows of the best place where i would see them or if anyone has taken any pictures where they have photographed them from if you could get intouch thanks andy.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

icphoto 13 1.5k England
29 Sep 2011 3:19PM
Keilder Observatory is the darkest place in the country, if you want to stand a chance of seeing them this is as good as it gets.
Andy1979 8 754 2 England
29 Sep 2011 3:56PM
Okay no probs and thanks very mcuh for the help
Andy1979 8 754 2 England
29 Sep 2011 4:05PM
Hi again do you have to pay to get into this place or is it ok to park up and take pictures ?
icphoto 13 1.5k England
29 Sep 2011 4:37PM
Unless you want to actually go into the Observatory its free, its in the middle of the Keilder Forest, sign posted from Keilder Castle. Or you could just park in one of the many car parks around the lake edge and photograph from there. I think that the dam would be a good place to start with its clear view of the northern sky.
mikesavage e2
12 260 2 England
29 Sep 2011 5:46PM
Find yourself a site that's away from centres of population and the glow from sodium street lamps, with a good view down to the northern horizon.
User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
29 Sep 2011 8:43PM

Quote:with a good view down to the northern horizon.

with a good view down to the northern horizon.

????

with a good viewUP to the northern horizon.

Grin
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
29 Sep 2011 10:43PM
It depends on which way you hold the map
Sooty_1 4 1.3k 203 United Kingdom
30 Sep 2011 9:12AM
I think he means you need top have a clear view of the whole sky to the north, so a clear horizon would be advantageous. Near a lake, you would be best to be on the southern shore to see the north sky, with potential for reflection shots into the bargain.

Nick
Sooty_1 4 1.3k 203 United Kingdom
30 Sep 2011 9:14AM
Anyway, there is no "up" or "down".....the earth is flat Tongue
gateshead 3 1
30 Sep 2011 1:04PM
Hi, What is the best time to see the lights? Jamie
Draig37 7 248 Wales
30 Sep 2011 4:37PM
After dark works the best I think....Wink

Sure I read on the net somewhere, but don't quote me, after 9pm is good

HTH
On BBC Look North Weather last week there were two superb Northern Lights pictures taken looking across the causeway at Holy Island.
Unfortunately they don't have them on the BBC Gallery but the colour of the sky was reflected in the wet sand making an amazing shot.
Found one of his pictures here The two used on BBC Weather had no car in.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.