Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

The Pentax Q System - What do you think?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

joshwa
joshwa ePHOTOzine Staff 3596 forum postsjoshwa vcard United Kingdom
23 Jun 2011 - 12:51 PM

The new Pentax Q System was announced today - it's a compact 12mp Backlit CMOS 1/2.3inch sensor camera with interchangeable lenses - Pentax introduced 5 new Q-mount lenses for it... we had a look at how it compares both with the sensor size, and with the current competitors, both "serious compacts" and other mirrorless cameras:

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/pentax-q-system-camera---in-detail-16807

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
23 Jun 2011 - 12:51 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Toonman
Toonman  71420 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
23 Jun 2011 - 1:07 PM

It's come too late to the party. I know there will be those that will coo coo over it but..................tiny sensor. Cameras like The Canon G12 will offer similar if not better quality. Sorry to seem negative but it looks like Pentax have no answer to the Micro four thirds format or quality Bridge/Compacts like the Canon G12. Look at the recently leaked Olympus EPL micro camera for instance.

andart
andart  12478 forum posts United Kingdom
23 Jun 2011 - 1:09 PM

I think its a bit like the old pentax 110 slr - in hte same way that it gave you some of the functionality of a 35mm slr, the Q will give you some of the functionality of a compact system camera but not the image quality.

As the lens is the biggest part of both the Q cam and a compact system camera , you might as well go for a bigger sensor and get all the benefits that come with it.

Last Modified By andart at 23 Jun 2011 - 1:10 PM
Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
23 Jun 2011 - 1:09 PM

Nice work Josh - very on the ball! Smile

So effectively a 5.8 crop camera.

Not sure the 4/3 sensor figures are quite right? Isn't it 18x13.5mm? See here.

joshwa
joshwa ePHOTOzine Staff 3596 forum postsjoshwa vcard United Kingdom
23 Jun 2011 - 1:31 PM

Thanks, the sensor figures are originally from wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_sensor_format

Last Modified By joshwa at 23 Jun 2011 - 1:32 PM
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314957 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
23 Jun 2011 - 1:37 PM

Something I find odd, you hardly see compacts these days fitted with the larger 2/3" sensor, they seem to have been abandoned.

Surely if your going to build and interchangeable lens system using prosumer/digital compact size sensor you would want to fit the largest possible.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314957 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
23 Jun 2011 - 1:39 PM

Quote: Thanks, the sensor figures are originally from wikipedia

Sensors all vary in size a little from one model to the next CB.

ChrisV
ChrisV  7727 forum posts United Kingdom26 Constructive Critique Points
23 Jun 2011 - 4:03 PM

At the moment it looks like it falls between two stools - the sensor size looks like offering inferior quality and no size advantage even to something like the Oly Xz1. Unless they can offer some seriously good lenses that offer a lot more than is currently available on fixed compacts this just looks like pitching too little and at an unattractive price.

joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
23 Jun 2011 - 4:12 PM

Why do people assume the image quality will be inferior? The sensor is backlit which means it can collect more light per photosite, therefore greatly improving the signal-to-noise ratio. Time will tell, of course, but I'm not going to airily dismiss it on grounds of image quality without so much as seeing a test image....

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
23 Jun 2011 - 5:11 PM

Quote: the sensor figures are originally from wikipedia

Which gives the 4/3 sensor size as I have stated, i.e. 18 x13.5mm. 17.3 x13mm, as in the EPZ article, is actually the imaging area. I assume, but am happy to be corrected, that it is true of all sensors, including full-frame (36x24mm), that the imaging area is slightly less than the sensor's physical dimensions?

I think the Pentax Q will be a niche product - and nothing wrong with that. If it is significantly more pocketable than M4/3, it could do OK. Price will be critical, for what people might see as a compact with a lens that comes off. Wink

ChrisV
ChrisV  7727 forum posts United Kingdom26 Constructive Critique Points
23 Jun 2011 - 5:18 PM

Quote: Why do people assume the image quality will be inferior? The sensor is backlit which means it can collect more light per photosite, therefore greatly improving the signal-to-noise ratio. Time will tell, of course, but I'm not going to airily dismiss it on grounds of image quality without so much as seeing a test image....

If they've somehow managed to miraculously alter the wavelength of light you might well be right.

Camera makers have come a long way in reducing read noise in the last few years, but shot noise is the ultimate stumbling block. Unless Pentax are a decade ahead of the big boys in enhancing sensitivity it's unlikely a sensor one tenth the area of full frame is going to be all that impressive. Virtually any camera can produce half decent images in good light.

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73823 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
23 Jun 2011 - 5:26 PM

I'm not sure it will be a niche product as such - looks like it be ideal for the traditional Leica rangefinder type market (street stuff etc). I will be looking for a serious compact type later this year - for candid work, holidays and for taking to the Olympics next year (don't really want to take full SLR system). So I will be looking at the review / prices of this with great interest.

Paul Morgan
23 Jun 2011 - 5:29 PM

Quote: Why do people assume the image quality will be inferior? The sensor is backlit which means it can collect more light per photosite, therefore greatly improving the signal-to-noise ratio. Time will tell, of course, but I'm not going to airily dismiss it on grounds of image quality without so much as seeing a test image....

This camera is squarely targeted at the mass consumer market, and consumers that love gadgets and those that are not interested in sensor size, noise ratios and so on.

Sure it will attract the odd photographer here and there as well, but I can`t see it offering a great deal to most seasoned photographers.

And its double the price of some Pen and Nex systems.

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 23 Jun 2011 - 5:30 PM
Paul Morgan
23 Jun 2011 - 5:38 PM

Quote: I think its a bit like the old pentax 110 slr

Except for being two or three times the Size.

Paul Morgan
23 Jun 2011 - 5:48 PM

Quote: Except for being two or three times the Size

Ignore that last comment Smile

Without Lens: 56mm x 99mm x 32mm (2.2" x 3.9" x 1.3")

Body Only: 159 grams (5.6 ozs.)

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.