Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

The Plot Thickens

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014829 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
21 Feb 2013 - 8:29 PM

This is beginning to sound more and more like an O. J. Simpson situation. My guess is that this man will walk free and clear simply for who he is, and the influence his family and associates hold. It will set back the causes for which his victim fought so valliantly by decades.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
21 Feb 2013 - 8:29 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
21 Feb 2013 - 8:45 PM

It is certainly fishy, but SA police haven't done themselves any favour in this case.

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012606 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
21 Feb 2013 - 9:01 PM

Quote: but SA police haven't done themselves any favour in this case

indeed, begs the question why a policeman awaiting trial for attempted murder is on the case at all. This is saying more about the judiciary system in SA than the case itself, to me.

Newdevonian
21 Feb 2013 - 9:06 PM

1. Put yourself in that situation. If you had a gun in your hand and you thought a burglar was locked in your toilet. You would call the police yourself or call out for someone else to call the police. Shooting in cold blood a burglar or girlfriend, it is still murder.
2. The girlfriend took her phone to the loo. What for? The door was broken in. Was she calling for help and told Pistorious as much, so he shot to stop the call.
3. The policeman was cleared of attempted murder charges. They are suddenly resurrected on the day of the hearing. Fishy!!!!
I tend to agree with StrayCat

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
21 Feb 2013 - 9:14 PM

I agree with point 1&2.
But on point 3, I read on skynews that

Quote: Bulewa Makeke, from South Africa's National Prosecuting Authority, said the attempted murder charges had been reinstated against Botha on February 4.

But the shooting was on 14th Feb?

User_Removed
21 Feb 2013 - 9:14 PM

Agree with Denny - he will get Bail - and, eventually, he will get off.

thewilliam
21 Feb 2013 - 9:15 PM

"Our People" generally get away with things that would have lesser folk consigned to prison or the bankruptcy court.

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014829 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
21 Feb 2013 - 9:28 PM

There are 3 women per day killed by their partner in South Africa.

matmonty
matmonty  10120 forum posts United Kingdom
21 Feb 2013 - 9:44 PM

I lived in South Africa just as the apartheid regime was breaking up. One of my Afrikaner neighbours had a licensed gun, he told me the rules for coming across a burglar was to fire two shots, the first one to kill and the second one was a warning shot and the police generally believed it, but then corruption in the police at that time was rife. I feel that he will get bail and eventually get off altogether, it seems to me that they are trying to discredit this detective.

Mat

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315404 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
21 Feb 2013 - 9:45 PM

I don`t think he meant to hurt her, I get the impression he was high on something.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110294 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
21 Feb 2013 - 9:51 PM

Strange how we can make our minds up with the flimsiest of evidence isn't it.

Its possible it was premeditated murder
Its possible it was murder without premeditation
Its possible it was manslaughter

None of us here can really decide on the "Evidence" so far released in the public forum (but that won't stop some making their minds up based on their own prejudices)

What is clear from the evidence so far is that the Police and Scenes of Crime Officers were totally incompetent and appear to have decided it was premediated without clear evidence and seem to be determined to prove it by any means - "Testosterone injections" that wasn't, neighbours up to half a mile away being able to confidently state Pistorious and his girlfriend were having a violent argument etc (as already shown in the bail hearing)

If he does get off it will be as a result of this incompetence rather than influence

All this is of course only my opinion but trial by media is becoming all to common here and elsewhere and it pisses me off mightily (as a long term believer in the principle of "Innocent until Proven Guity - in a court of law" )

Last Modified By brian1208 at 21 Feb 2013 - 9:55 PM
answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012606 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points

How can anyone make up their minds on innocent or guilty with whats been presented, and mostly discredited.
women take their phones with them wherever they go (even the young men I work with take their to the toilet!), without phone records is only presumptions or opinions not fact.
discredit the detective? He is to stand trial on attempted murder, decided before the day of the shooting not after and together with his 'evidence' - he's discredited himself surely?

Last Modified By answersonapostcard at 21 Feb 2013 - 9:56 PM
CaptivePhotons
CaptivePhotons e2 Member 111550 forum postsCaptivePhotons vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points

Quote: I don`t think he meant to hurt her, I get the impression he was high on something.

You're kidding. He fired four shots in to an enclosed space through a closed door where he knew there was a person. He knew the layout of the bathroom and he knew that by firing those shots he was likely to hit his target.

Regardless of which, thus far the case is smacking of OJ and the same outcome.

answersonapostcard
21 Feb 2013 - 10:03 PM

I lived in a type of 'gated community' once, it was there to protect but you didnt really feel safe, because there was a real threat from behind the walls - and if someone did get in you knew they werent there just to rifle through your knicker draw or raid your fridge.

Last Modified By answersonapostcard at 21 Feb 2013 - 10:05 PM
Newdevonian
21 Feb 2013 - 10:07 PM

Quote: I agree with point 1&2.
But on point 3, I read on skynews that
Bulewa Makeke, from South Africa's National Prosecuting Authority, said the attempted murder charges had been reinstated against Botha on February 4.
But the shooting was on 14th Feb?

Why was he not suspended on Feb 4th?

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.