Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

The Power of Photography

Geoffphoto e2
8 13.5k United Kingdom
20 May 2013 11:47AM
I was reading this article in the Guardian, ( I don't expect much feedback as it's not about shiny new Nikons or Canons ! )

The Power of Photography

However it did made me think about what I was doing after 26 years as a photographer, what is your most treasured image ??

Mine is this, not taken my me as I was not born at the time but it's an image of my mum and dad taken in 1950 , mum is no longer with us and dad is in his late 80's now and not very well ! but it means SO much to me because.... Do you others feel that a single photograph can mean that much to you !

mum-and-dad.jpg

I would be interested to hear what others think about the power of photography to move us !

Cheers

Geoffboy Smile

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Geoffphoto e2
8 13.5k United Kingdom
20 May 2013 12:50PM
Yep ! wasting my time as I thought !! Sad
digicammad e2
11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
20 May 2013 12:57PM
Maybe everybody is on lunch Geoff. Smile

I don't think there is any doubt that photography has the power to move us. Possibly the most memorable images are photo-journalistic (is that a word?), but images of important times/people in our lives will evoke the relevant emotions, happy, sad, proud, etc.

I don't know if I have any single favourite image, but I know I have quite a few which mean a lot to me.

Ian
JackAllTog e2
5 4.0k 58 United Kingdom
20 May 2013 1:03PM
Photo's of loved ones or special friends etc are super at cementing an image of someone into our memories, seeing the image daily reinforces the view of that person at that time.
Or images of shock or disaster can equally entrench memories into our brains - this is some of the power of photography.

Photography allows one image to be shared across time & space to allow other to see the subject as captured - whether celebrity or natural wonder, this permits many to share in the experience.

Without image transmitting capabilities in out world perhaps modern celebrity's could not exist.

Or again without photo's taken of crimes or accidents miscarriages of justice can be avoided. Photography has indeed a powerful potential.
Taff e2
10 59 Scotland
20 May 2013 1:27PM
Hi Geoff

One of my treasured images below. Photo of me and my good lady on our wedding day, taken outside our house (In which we got married). The white haired fellow on the right hand side is my dear old dad.

He was feeble, frail and already quite ill when the photo was taken and sadly he gave up fighting not long after the photo was taken. What's strange is that despite looking at the photo many times over the last couple of years, it was not so long ago that I happened to notice he was holding onto my Mum's hand. Although I've always liked the image as a whole, this one single gesture just makes it even more special to me.

So back to your question - To me photography is about capturing a fleeting moment in time so you can replay it in your mind or imagine what it's like to be back there again.

wedding2.jpg

Taff
AlanJ e2
1 495 England
20 May 2013 8:32PM
shadow.jpg

My son and daughter came home yesterday for my wife's birthday and later in the evening my wife brought out some old pictures. This was amongst them.
This is a picture of me circa 55 years ago at a model village (somewhere in North Wales I think). The best part of the picture for me is the shadow of my dad who was taking the picture. We normally strive to keep our shadows out of the frame but I think it makes this photograph and have to say it makes me a little emotional seeing it. It feels like my dad is in the picture with me. It's 35 year since my dad died but I can easily recognise his shape in the shadow.
20 May 2013 10:25PM
Geoff,

Thanks for prompting this I could have written virtually the same description as you to picture 1, my mum and dad toured cornwall in a 1928 Morris after the war (Lands End et al) the car was so clapped out that they had to reverse uphill from many cornish beaches as the clutch slipped too much even in first gear.

My dad loved slide film and now he has Alzheimers it's good to remind him of past days - here he is teaching my sister to swim in about 1970 with sideburns and still some black hair!:

pict0002.jpg

Thanks for reminding me.

Simon

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.