Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

The Qwertybet?

macroman 11 15.3k England
11 Feb 2010 11:00AM
Traditionally children have been taught the alphabet as ..A, B, C, D,.......X, Y, Z.

The coming of the computer means that a great deal of time is spent on the 'Qwerty' keyboard so it not time to change all this and teach the Qwertybet.
All children should be taught Q, W, E, R, T.......B, N, M,

Should be simple for all those progressive 'teachers'.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Boyd 11 11.2k 11 Wales
11 Feb 2010 11:02AM

Quote:All childrebn should be taught Q, W, E, R, T.......B, N, M,
Ah, the irony.
Smile
11 Feb 2010 11:08AM
Oops!!

EDIT.

The cold weather has frozen the old biological computer. Wink
cameracat 10 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
11 Feb 2010 11:10AM

Quote:All children should be taught Q, W, E, R, T.......B, N, M,

Thats funny, I thought they where already....Smile As it would explain why we can't understand what they are talking/writing about...!!!

Wink
triumphv8 7 451 United Kingdom
11 Feb 2010 11:11AM
They don't learn ABC etc any more.

They learn synthetic phonics - if anything parents should get keyboards with lower case letters to support this.

My boy has just gone through this and it works.
MikeRC e2
9 3.5k United Kingdom
11 Feb 2010 11:22AM

Quote:They learn synthetic phonics

...What are they ?
Big Bri 13 15.6k United Kingdom
11 Feb 2010 11:26AM

Quote:My boy has just gone through this and it works.

Any millions of people used other systems that worked also Smile I wish they'd stop buggering around with our kids' educations just for the sake of it.
Boyd 11 11.2k 11 Wales
11 Feb 2010 11:30AM
The system used is actually a return to synthetic phonics after they'd 'buggered' around with analytical phonics.
triumphv8 7 451 United Kingdom
11 Feb 2010 11:44AM
Yes I belive Boyd is correct - and having seen it, if it is buggering around then it is effective buggering.

Mike - they learn the sound of the letter with an action

b = 'buh' with the action of batting.

s = ssss with a snake action

r = rrrrrr (but not ruh) with a growl

e = eh cupping ear as it to say 'eh'

Then they 'blend' them - b.e.d - buh eh duh = bed as opposed to the old bee ee dee which sounds nowt like it.
11 Feb 2010 11:59AM
So there would be millions of kids using the "Qwertybet"

and then millions using the "Azertybet" ?
11 Feb 2010 12:19PM
Synthetic phonics, looks very similar to the way we were taught 65 or so years ago.

Give it a trendy name and add a bit of psychobabble and bingo...a brilliant 'new'. teaching system.
mohikan22 10 2.2k 1 United Kingdom
11 Feb 2010 12:49PM
They learn synthetic phonics

YUP my kids (from my daughter 3 yrs ago) had phoenetic fridays.
i was like WTF?!!?!?
now they come home and teach YOU how to talk.
11 Feb 2010 12:55PM
Soon after our daughter started school, We were becoming concerned at her lack of progress in reading.

I found a load of card offcuts at work and wrote one word on each card, words ranging from one letter (a, i) to six and eight (rabbit, tortoise, etc).

We woud spend half hour or so showing the cards and describe the sounds of the letters and words.

Within a couple o' weeks she was reading all her books and anything else she coul find.

We went to a parents evening and the teacher comented on her rapid progress, but was very miffed when we said what we were doing " we don't like parents teaching reading.....",etc.

We had to laugh when a couple of weeks later Alex came home and told us that she had been asked to sit with some of the slower readers to help them to read. Wink Wink
StuartAt e2
9 1.0k 6 England
11 Feb 2010 1:38PM
Our little lad (4) is sent home every day with a number of letters on his key ring that he practises the sound of. He then recognises the combinations within other words and it is a very effective method of teaching. As the child progresses, they get more on their keyring.
MikeRC e2
9 3.5k United Kingdom
11 Feb 2010 2:47PM

Quote:Mike - they learn the sound of the letter with an action

Jeez....bring back Janet and John.

Quote:I found a load of card offcuts at work and wrote one word on each card, words ranging from one letter (a, i) to six and eight (rabbit, tortoise, etc)

This is how my daughter, now 35, learnt to read, every night dozens of words over the carpet, mix 'em up, add more words...she loved it.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.