Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

The Qwertybet?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
macroman
macroman  1115312 forum posts England
11 Feb 2010 - 3:29 PM

My daughter is now 40 (don't let on Wink )

She still reads continually and has a whole pile of paper backs/magazines probably 200 or so.

I feel that there is no single way that is best for every child, and what works for one will not necessarily be OK for another.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
11 Feb 2010 - 3:29 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Jestertheclown
11 Feb 2010 - 4:56 PM

Quote: Jeez....bring back Janet and John.

I learned with Janet and John . . .
. . . phonetically, 50 years ago.

The method being introduced into schools nowadays, certainly at the lower school where I work, is a part of what is known as the 'Creative Learning Journey'.There's more to it than just phonics but for the senior teachers at work, it's a simple process because they were trained to do exactly this years ago.

Presumably, it's all been brought up to date but basically, it's the same system of phonics by which I was taught. It's just coming around for about the third time since I was at school.

My daughter attends the school at which I work and she and in fact, all the children are thriving on it.

Jester.

strawman
strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
11 Feb 2010 - 5:11 PM

Modern teaching is not all bad, I think that topics like history and science have improved with some of the modern techniques and projects and themes the kids study. And none of my children look to have had to face elephants on skateboards having inelastic collisions with buses and calculation of the relative velocity and directions.

Its tricky, though as I found my youngest benefited from being taught maths the way I was, but each kid is different. The way they were attempting to teach long division was very obscure to me.

I am not certain that using the Matrix as a way of evaluating belief systems in RE was smart though Smile But on reflection the essay was written and enjoyed so perhaps the teacher was far smarter than the kids.

Last Modified By strawman at 11 Feb 2010 - 5:14 PM
macroman
macroman  1115312 forum posts England
11 Feb 2010 - 8:38 PM

Quote: Its tricky, though as I found my youngest benefited from being taught maths the way I was

I found the same with my Son, he came home one day really upset, it happened that he could not get to grips with long division.

After going through the method that he was being taught I was not surprised, even I coudn't uderstand it.

I showed him the way I was taught and he got it almost straight away. His comment was "It's dead easy isn't it".

rowarrior
rowarrior  64350 forum posts Scotland9 Constructive Critique Points
11 Feb 2010 - 11:10 PM

I had the most frustrating day of my 5 year old life trying to do the alphabetic phonetically! The thing is, my mother, a teacher (who I think was possibly a tad bored for the 2 years we had previously lived in the US) had taught me to read when I was 3, and I knew the alphabet as, well, the normal ABC. The teachers aide in my class sat us down individually and got us to say the letters as she held them up on flash cards. Whilst I cottoned on after a few letters, there were a few I just could not work out - I mean really what the h*ll do you say for J, Q, U, X and Z?! I would have been less irked (as would my parents) had I not been reading books that the juniors were reading, having long since exhausted the infants' selection!

Mind you, the following year I had the genius of a teacher that wouldn't let me sit and read a book when I'd finished my work unless I sat quietly. Cue my baffled father, 'But if you give her a book she'll sit there quietly'. 'No, no, she has to sit there quietly before we allow her to have a book'. So needless to say I sat there and did everyone else's work instead Wink

Boyd
Boyd  1011213 forum posts Wales11 Constructive Critique Points
11 Feb 2010 - 11:25 PM

Quote: I had the most frustrating day of my 5 year old life trying to do the alphabetic phonetically!

Oh it's easy.
Try this - muh, oh, duh, eh, sss, ti, eee...

Wink

Last Modified By Boyd at 11 Feb 2010 - 11:25 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.