Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

the real thing or

themak 1 156 Scotland
29 Aug 2014 11:01AM
Where am I?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Chris_L e2
1.5k United Kingdom
29 Aug 2014 12:14PM
According to your flag you're in Scotland, home of the deep-fried Mars bar. The question is "what is your view on use of low /no cal soft drinks as part of a diet" Grin
themak 1 156 Scotland
29 Aug 2014 12:19PM
Obviously I only drink whisky with my Mars bars.
Chris_L e2
1.5k United Kingdom
29 Aug 2014 12:57PM
Joking aside it's ironic that I grew up in the era of "A Mars A Day Helps You Work Rest and Play", days when the Coca-Cola Company formulated a diet cola and called it Tab as they didn't think it tasted good enough to wear the Coke brand.

Clinically obese people had yet to be invented. In order to see them we'd need to watch a documentary about the US.

Now maybe you're thinking then we got McDonald's (and KFC, Burger King etc); we did but also more and more of us stopped cooking our own meals from scratch and came to rely more upon Iceland and the takeaway.

McDonald's is an easy target, it's my local pizza shop where I see overweight people buying their evening meal. We changed our lifestyles and that's what made us overweight. Not the saccharin.
themak 1 156 Scotland
29 Aug 2014 1:47PM
Despite being one of the oldest fast foods, I don't think pizza is inherently unhealthy (unless you count that other great scottish invention, the deep-fried-in-batter chocolate and lard pizza). Trouble is, those people you think are buying their evening meal are in fact getting extra 'snacks' as a pastime.
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
29 Aug 2014 2:02PM

Quote:Despite being one of the oldest fast foods, I don't think pizza is inherently unhealthy

Have you seen the amount of grease in one of those? The pizza is no less healthy or unhealthy as the snacks you refer to - it is the total calorie burden. But as an indicator of the general problem the pizza is as valid as MacDonalds or chocolate.

Quote:Those people you think are buying their evening meal are in fact getting extra 'snacks' as a pastime

And you know this how....
altitude50 10 2.3k United Kingdom
29 Aug 2014 2:28PM
When I was growing up in the forties and fifties there were very few overweight people to be seen. An exception was one of my uncles who spent his evenings in the pub.

We, as a family of four never bought beer, spirits, fizzy soft drinks, crisps, snacks nor ready meals (they were not available anyway) nor sliced bread. What came into the house as food for a week (quite normal) a modern couple would get through in two or three days.
themak 1 156 Scotland
29 Aug 2014 2:29PM

Quote:And you know this how....

I was behind you in the queue.
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
29 Aug 2014 2:52PM
Cheeky GrinGrin
parallax e2
5 121 United Kingdom
29 Aug 2014 4:04PM
Pizza is not unhealthy in it's original form. It had a very thin base often just with cheese, tomatoes, herbs and olive oil - a very simple dish and quite healthy often eaten by people who worked on the land who need something quick and tasty.

Over many years via the US - it has morphed into a mattress like base with piles of greasy crap slurped all over it.

Anyway I digress...

If you consume too many soft drinks either 'full fat' or with artificial sweeteners you'll suffer the consequences. You've only got to look to the US (and increasingly the UK),
it's self evident.
themak 1 156 Scotland
29 Aug 2014 4:09PM

Quote:It had a very thin base often just with cheese, tomatoes, herbs and olive oil -

I'm hungry.
arhb e2
7 2.5k 68 United Kingdom
29 Aug 2014 4:14PM
Don't get me started in Jamie Oliveoil -
it might be cheap Jamie, with healthy ingredients, but you throw olive oil at every ingredient you use before mixing them together, and then add more!!!

Bless...
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
29 Aug 2014 4:20PM
If the myth is that an underactive thyroid will make you gain weight then I agree with you, but there is a recognised correlation where an unexpected weight gain will suggest to a physisican that the patient may have a thyroid disorder worthy of further testing.

They don`t always check for the most obvious, weight gained before diagnosis is often difficult to loose once your put on the right medication, it has something to do with metabolic resistance and an altered metabolic Set Point.

hyperthyroidism often causes loss of weight

It can also cause weight gain as it did in my case, the last thing my GP was expecting was Graves disease.
Snapster e2
2 133 England
29 Aug 2014 6:17PM
Move more, eat less, avoid ready made meals, reduce sugar intake, but do not replace sugar for another so called better type.
Personally I think sugar / sweetners are as bad as each other.
gcarth e2
10 2.3k 1 United Kingdom
29 Aug 2014 7:01PM

Quote:Let's get thyroid out of equation. The only decease that changes sugar (glucose) balance directly is diabetes. But that is different gland. Yes, hyperthyroidism often causes loss of weight as a collateral of hyperactivity. But hypo-activity does not seem to be a direct result of hypothyroidism, rather person's lack of will to deal with lifestyle adjustment. This assumes the condition is known to the person, of course.

As all the "low energy" drinks, etc. - I am always very aware about including in my diet any substances that are not part of natural human food. Cannot be avoided completely, rather need to be consumed in moderation. That's my recipe, bake whatever you like from itWink.

There is a lot of confusion between hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism: Hypothyroidism is caused by having an under-active thyroid while hyperthyroidism is caused by having an over-active thyroid.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.