Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

the real thing or

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64431 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
30 Aug 2014 - 7:45 PM

I've not seen a vegetarian or vegan series yet. That would be very interesting, and useful.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
30 Aug 2014 - 7:45 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Chris_L
Chris_L e2 Member 883 forum postsChris_L vcard United Kingdom
30 Aug 2014 - 7:56 PM

They did a pilot for C5 but station bosses wanted it to be meatier and that simply didn't work - (Bit like when they tried to make Ice Road Truckers grittier).

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014804 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
30 Aug 2014 - 8:00 PM

I like a vegetarian pizza, but I like meat, a lot. I really like poultry and fish, I try to balance it out with a bit of beef and pork now and then, mostly a roast with all the trimmings. That's the kind of food we were raised on. My wife's parents both lived to be 93, and were active and sharp of wit right up to the end, and they lived about as hard a life as any North American did. He was a fisherman from the age of 9 to 73, in a 20 foot open dory. Never a day of formal education, but without a doubt, the smartest man I've ever known. They had mostly fish in their diet, along with sea birds, seals, and small game. The main fruit they had was berries picked themselves, and canned fruit from the grocer's; in their later years we introduced them to fresh apricots, peaches and the like. They loved it, but their stomachs didn't. Her father saw his first doctor at 73, and her Mother at 81. They never took anything but a few aspirins in their lives. Stress? They dealt with it in their own way. Our children loved to visit them, and I believe they had a certain respect for them, knowing how they lived, and were still as pleasant as could be.

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64431 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
30 Aug 2014 - 8:41 PM

That's marvelous Danny. I wonder if that's just diet or a bit of genetics too. My dad lived a healthy life. He didn't smoke, drink or overeat. He was a professional wrestler and was fit all his life. He died badly, riddled with cancer, diabetes and arthritis. His last years were horrendous and it was a relief when he died at 92. I guess a lot of it's the luck of the draw. Makes you wonder if you should just go for it and enjoy what you want.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110266 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
30 Aug 2014 - 9:02 PM

Quote: Makes you wonder if you should just go for it and enjoy what you want

I've seen so many cases where people have lived "healthy" lives and eaten well + exercised etc and died lingering, miserable deaths that this is now my philosophy, always remembering the words "nothing to excess" (I did the excess bit before I got married Grin )

(My grandparents both smoked and drank alcohol every day, but again - never to excess and Pop came out of WW1 with a 95% disability pension because he lost a chunk of his skull to a shell fragment, in addition to a massive sabre slash from right shoulder to left hip but he just got on with living, made me ashamed to complain of my ills as I got older)

SlowSong
30 Aug 2014 - 9:09 PM

Yes. I excess in some areas but not in others. Hopefully they'll balance out. Smile

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014804 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
30 Aug 2014 - 9:10 PM

My wife's Mother and Father had few health problems. They had 16 children, no doctor for either birth. Her father's best year fishing was $3100.00, and he raised his family on that and less. They weren't all home at once though, when my wife was born, her oldest brothers were married and had families of their own. One year before my wife was in her teens, her father had to go to work in a fish plant to make ends meet; he couldn't stand the noise, and crowds of workers, and he had a nervous breakdown. She can remember her parents had to apply for social assistance, and the government sent a couple of men into their home to search for hidden savings. She told me the children cowered in the corner while the men cut the mattresses to pieces looking for money. Her father was devastated, as was her mother; it was a great shame for them. It was the only time in their lives they needed help.

I used to fly the Government bush plane in Labrador, and one job was to fly the welfare officer to the Indian and Eskimo communities on the coast every month with the welfare cheques. They didn't give the cheques to the individuals because they had no sense of planning, and would spend everything in a couple of days. The cheques were issued against each persons account at the government store in each community, and they would draw on it within limits set by the government. While in each community, the welfare officer would act as a magistrate and make rulings on issues within each community. One day, one of the few times I attended these meetings, the case was an Indian couple who bought raisins and made liquor with them. They then got drunk and beat their children. The welfare officer banned them from buying anymore raisins, and took their 2 children and gave them to the woman's sister, all in about 10 minutes. It was against the law to sell liquor to a native on the coast of Labrador. Life was never boring.Smile

SlowSong
30 Aug 2014 - 9:16 PM

You and your family have led hard and interesting lives Denny, but it's not a competition Wink

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315362 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
30 Aug 2014 - 9:25 PM

Quote: It was against the law to sell liquor to a native on the coast of Labrador. Life was never boring.Smile

How backward and racist s that Smile

Last Modified By Moderator Team at 3 Sep 2014 - 7:44 AM
StrayCat
3 Sep 2014 - 7:29 AM

It is by today's standards I suppose Paul, but there is a chemical make-up in the aboriginals, some say it's an extremely high protein diet, that is not compatible with alcohol. You'd have to be there and see it to understand the serious nature of it. Alcohol drives them into a violent rage, and more often than not, the wife and children are the victims. I flew an Eskimo woman from the coast to the hospital in North West River, NL, she had been bitten so many times by her drunken husband, that she looked like a skinned seal carcass. She had been in their hut for days in that condition, till a passerby herd her moaning. That was in the late '60s, today those communities are in the news because they have the highest suicide rate amongst teenagers in North America. Once their traditional way of life was taken from them, they just vegetated; they have no will to do anything.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.