Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

The return of the EC

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jul 2009 - 8:52 AM

The dreaded letters some of you no doubt hoped where dead & buried will return.

We've thought long and hard about this and it's not an easy decision, but we've decided to revert back to the EC Award, and change the structure of the PA team.

Anyone around the forums will be aware of the history:
I was taken seriously ill, the team had to react fast and put into place a new system of picture selectors so that awards can continue. It's called a Premier Award. and we have the Premier Award team.

The team and selection process was developed and fine tuned and we ended up with a good method of selecting PAs that's working generally well, but it has flaws.

So we have two options: continue to try and resolve the flaws or change.

The main flaw is the number of votes needed to get an award is proving difficult to perfect, too low a number and we could get bias or images that slip through that, in my mind, probably shouldn't have. Too high and no pictures will be selected.

This brought a second issue of speed. When I chose alone pictures would get awards the day they were uploaded, so the pace was faster.

The other problem, which I expected all along, is commitment. It relies on people devoting a lot of time to go through, select and then judge photos. Sadly many of the pros who were chosen are rarely around or have left the team.

And then we have the age old problem of member disagreement voiced in the forums and gallery, and no doubt in private, which may even have risen since the introduction of the new system. So rather than me listen to this and defend my choice I'm feeling it necessary to defend the choice of a team, while at the same time the team take the brunt of all the forum and gallery criticism.

So why have around 15 good people getting emotional tangled in something that they don't deserve? They've been incredibly helpful in the difficult times of my recoup. It's to them I thank for the Awards system continuing.

The main reason why the PA team was introduced, was a way to resolve the problem of me having to look through the entire gallery to make a selection. I need people to weed out the highlights in all categories. We'd been thinking about this process way before I'd dropped down. We had two solutions: 1 you nominate your own pictures for award and 2 we have a team. It was decided that the team approach was better and less complex.

So going forward we will still have our team...comprising of current level 1s, 2s and 3s from the PA team, as a less complicated single layer. The team will go through and put forward photos that they feel should be worthy of the Awards. The process will be monitored statistically and tweaked. The step from nomination to award will be simplified so it should be much quicker

We feel this may seem like a step back to some, it's a step forward from the stage we were at before my absence, as my viewing selection will be reduced significantly, but also photos I may not have given a second glance will be under more scrutiny as they've been selected by team members.

I hope you join me in thanking all the team for their fabulous work, and for putting up with any of the upset caused through being part of the PA team.

Now they can go back to enjoying the site Smile

Also there was suggestions that we have a "hide awards and votes" option. We have not discounted this. We just won't be making a hasty decision.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
30 Jul 2009 - 8:52 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

stevie
stevie e2 Member 101198 forum postsstevie vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jul 2009 - 9:04 AM

There will be lots of comments on this, no doubt but - and just my opinion - I think you've made the right decision.

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jul 2009 - 9:06 AM

TBH, Pete, I am all for that option if and only if it doesn't affect your health.

My suggestion is to only keep L2 and L3 for nominating. From my past experience, you will still have to go through tones of photos with L1 still there. That might have changed now, I don't know. Just a suggestion though.

Boyd
Boyd  1011213 forum posts Wales11 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jul 2009 - 9:08 AM

Thanks PA team and happy hunting for the future.

shaks
shaks  12561 forum posts Tokelau1 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jul 2009 - 9:12 AM

Cheers all and fingers crossed for the future.

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jul 2009 - 9:19 AM

Oh yes, thanks to the PA team.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014788 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jul 2009 - 9:20 AM

Sound like the right solution to me - lots of people to do all the donkey work, one to make the decisions (and take the flack Wink)

randomrubble
30 Jul 2009 - 9:22 AM

I think this option strikes the right balance. Pete, it's important for epz's character that the site editor is involved in making the final decisions about awards as, even if we don't always agree with it Wink, the tone of the site needs to come from you.

Just make sure it doesn't get you down.

phil_j
phil_j  8133 forum posts England4 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jul 2009 - 9:25 AM

Sounds like a good solution to a tricky problem, hope this works well and keeps everybody happy, just take it steady Pete!!.

Phil

jeanie
jeanie e2 Member 105968 forum postsjeanie vcard United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jul 2009 - 9:36 AM

Just so long as your health does not suffer, Pete, I think this is a good decision.

Last Modified By jeanie at 30 Jul 2009 - 9:36 AM
roxpix
roxpix  102236 forum posts Scotland11 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jul 2009 - 9:55 AM

A case of better the devil you know eh?

Well if MS can come back to F1 then why cant EC come back to ePz? (personally I liked the EC system because I took it at face value)

Tough call and its nice to have the effort/commitment to recognise quality on a free website but its always going to be a win/win or lose/lose situation depending on your perspective

Those likely to take a strop will still have a go at the system
The ‘grade me, evaluate me, reward me, praise me’ brigade will still have a go at the system
The ‘what the hell are you thinking of’ brigade will still have a go at the system

Some fine work will gain a little recognition from its peer/s
Some fine work will not
Some of us will wonder what all the fuss is about

And all will be well on the internet

Good luck team

User_Removed
30 Jul 2009 - 9:57 AM

I'll echo Jeanie - word-for-word.

daviewat
daviewat  104104 forum posts Scotland
30 Jul 2009 - 10:06 AM

I think its a good call and pretty sure Pete will turn the other cheek to crit rather than let stress levels build up Smile

After all as said many a time its Editors Choice Smile he he

Good show and glad to see you are feeling up for it again, hopefuly the health is on the up all the time as well Smile

Coleslaw
30 Jul 2009 - 10:09 AM

Quote: I'll echo Jeanie - word-for-word.

Find your own words, you lazy so&so... Wink

User_Removed
30 Jul 2009 - 10:12 AM

Tongue

Grin

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.