Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

the secondhand market... worth a go?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Bellie
    Bellie  7507 forum posts
    7 Sep 2007 - 12:00 PM

The past two weeks have seen a flurry of press releases from camera companies announcing their latest offerings.

I forsee a few good bargains to be had on secondhand 30Ds, D200s etc as people upgrade, but go back a little further to even older models and you can find - for example a good condition Canon 300D for 200, and a good price on a 20D....

Canon 300D, 10D, 20D... Nikon D50, D70.... etc etc. are these once celebrated pieces of technology junk? I think not, and can they take a decent shot - I would say so.

I would like to hear your views on what you consider to be a good secondhand bargain (whatever the make), whether you think a 6MP shot can still be good enough in the age of 10-12MP.

Would someone on a budget be better to grab one of these bargains, and spend the savings on some good glass for instance.

Speak up in defence of your older bit of kit, and it might just help anyone looking to get into photography without busting their budgets on the latest cam.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    7 Sep 2007 - 12:00 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

FatHandedChap
    7 Sep 2007 - 12:11 PM

I'm still using my original D70, had no complaints, still selling lots. I have been tempted to upgrade, but have been spending the pennies on new glass.

However, the time is coming to upgrade but I'll be looking at D200 prices rather than a D300.

Tony

User_Removed
    7 Sep 2007 - 12:15 PM

Quote: I'm still using my original D70, had no complaints, still selling lots. I have been tempted to upgrade, but have been spending the pennies on new glass.

Me too, me too, me too, me too, me too...

Quote: However, the time is coming to upgrade but I'll be looking at D200 prices rather than a D300.

Me too, Me too (unless I have a really good year next year, and I'll be getting a D3 instead! Wink

riprap007
    riprap007  101568 forum posts England37 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Sep 2007 - 12:28 PM

yep, I'm in the market for a back up camera, be interesting to see the prices in another month!

User_Removed
    7 Sep 2007 - 12:38 PM

You get the techi people in all hobbies not just photography who have to have the most up to date equipment - keeps the manufacturers clapping their hands!!!!. Chasing technology doesn't interest me and have just bought another 20d body as a back up - plenty of mega pixels for me and even at A1 is good - why anyone wants more is beyond me?? must be my scottish blood!!
    Neal

forestnil
    forestnil  9183 forum posts England
    7 Sep 2007 - 12:42 PM

I'm currently using a d70s, but doors have opened that will allow me to submit images to Corbis. The down side is that to do this I need to upgrade to a body of at least 8mp -so I'm looking at the d80 or a d200 unless I change my whole set up. I got a selling price for the d70s recently 225 so the market for cheap s/hand gear is defintely there.

Martin

FatHandedChap

Quote: Me too, Me too (unless I have a really good year next year, and I'll be getting a D3 instead

Or a really really good year then maybe a Mamiya.

Or a really really really good year then a Blad H3D may be on the cards..........

Hugo
    Hugo  9639 forum posts United Kingdom
    7 Sep 2007 - 1:24 PM

Yep..I bought a 10d from LCE group last September for 200. While its not the same as a 40d, unless you really need fast fps or more pixels then you've a lot of cash left over for lenses/flashgun etc.

Although it seems a little dated now, its still a very capable camera.. three/four years ago everybody was dreaming of it and it cost 1400 or so. (Alas no EF-S lenses work, but Sigma seem to make lenses that cover the range for less that Canons)

Ideally Id like a 5d...but not until that's 3/400 second hand.

Last Modified By Hugo at 7 Sep 2007 - 1:25 PM
    Bellie
    Bellie  7507 forum posts
    7 Sep 2007 - 1:57 PM

Seems like there are a lot of capable cameras out there, with a decent price tag. Sometimes it hard to get out of the 'must have' mode when the latest offerings are wheeled out. Shake this off and there are plenty of bargains to be had... and as Shawry points out - you can get a back-up camera nice n cheap too.

jondf
    jondf  82475 forum posts
    7 Sep 2007 - 2:09 PM

A lot of sensible comment on here - lol...says he that's considering a 5d.

Some of the greatest pictures ever taken were through cameras that by today's standards were archaic. The manufactures battle to make their products more desirable to the point that a very sophisticated dslr will still double as a point and shoot. Great photographs don't just happen. They're usually the result of years of painstakingly gained experience, the occasional bit of kidology and yes... sometimes luck (like most of mine Wink)
    It's nice to get a new piece of kit, but unless it delivers satisfaction and improvement to you as a photographer, consider taking the advice given above.

Last Modified By jondf at 7 Sep 2007 - 2:12 PM
    randomrubble
    7 Sep 2007 - 2:12 PM

worth a go?

Definitely. I'd never have been able to afford a 1Ds without second hand.

Assyrian
    Assyrian  7132 forum posts Scotland
    7 Sep 2007 - 2:13 PM

I still use a Pentax 750Z compact along with my D200. It's a bit noisy at 7MP but it's got a belting macro function - and try getting a D200 plus lens in your trouser pocket!

Don't chuck stuff away just cos it's old!

Last Modified By Assyrian at 7 Sep 2007 - 2:14 PM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.