Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

The secret voter ..." who was that masked man....? "

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

whatriveristhis
whatriveristhis e2 Member 164 forum postswhatriveristhis vcard England75 Constructive Critique Points
21 May 2013 - 9:49 AM

Hello! This is the first time I've started a topic in a forum, and I've no idea if anyone will be interested, or if this is an appropriate forum! Anyway, here goes...

Why, I wonder, do so many people vote for uploaded images ( not just mine, anyone's ) but leave no comment ? I'd never dream of doing that. I've not been on this site very long, and although there are a small number of people I've become acquainted with and who seem to like what I do, I don't get many votes, so I'm quite pleased even to get an anonymous one!!Grin
But if someone's voted for your image, it would be nice to know who they are and what they liked about it, what they didn't like so much about it, and so on. It would give their vote some meaning.
Anyone out there have anything to say about this?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
21 May 2013 - 9:49 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014812 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
21 May 2013 - 9:54 AM

time constraints

mossy
mossy  146 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
21 May 2013 - 10:00 AM

One of the reasons i like this site is the many ways you can interact. In some cases all that could be said has already been said, so instead of a repartition i may add just a vote, i have that choice.

If you dont want votes you can disable voting, and you will just get comments. Its just my opinion, some may not feel they have the confidence to place a comment, i sometimes have the opposite problem,my interst is wildlife, mainly birds. I often see things inccorectly identified,but wonder if i would offend the OP by giving the correct ID

Different strokes for different folks, its a broad church here. Long may it continue.

brian.

franken
franken e2 Member 123127 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
21 May 2013 - 10:02 AM

At times I just vote as all has already been said.

E2 members can see who has voted.

Ken.

whatriveristhis
whatriveristhis e2 Member 164 forum postswhatriveristhis vcard England75 Constructive Critique Points
21 May 2013 - 10:05 AM

Quote: Time constraints

Thanks ade. That would explain, it certainly doesn't encourage. I mean, why bother at all? ( and just in case it should cross your fevered mind to point this out- in my case, most people don't Grin )

whatriveristhis
21 May 2013 - 10:10 AM

brian- fair comment.

Ken- again, fair comment, but often I see votes appearing where there are no comments at all. So, confidence..... time constraints..... maybe.

Thanks, all, for your replies.

Alan

Louise_Morris
Louise_Morris e2 Member 42324 forum postsLouise_Morris vcard England
21 May 2013 - 10:13 AM

I think it has all been said above, time constraints, nothing more meaningful to add, not having enough technical ability/knowhow to actually pass comment etc.,
If I have time and knowhow I will pass comment - if I feel the image is worthy of a vote I will vote - simples. Smile
Lou

cattyal
cattyal e2 Member 96057 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
21 May 2013 - 10:23 AM

Certainly I click and fly a lot (most) of the time - I've usually got a stack of projects of my own on the go and if I don't have anything deep/meaningful/useful to add to the existing comments then there is little point in me saying nice pic - the click itself already says that.

KevSB
KevSB  101407 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
21 May 2013 - 10:33 AM

Sometimes I Have a quick browse through the gallery's, If something catches my eye and for what ever reason I like it then I vote.

If I had to write something I wouldn't bother tbh as it would mean in some cases me just writing "nice picture" as I don't feel I want to go through the automated Answers like"it would be better if the main subject was in the thirds" or something like that.

The Vote button for me Means I like it, it does not mean its a great picture, A bad picture. It means I like it. I certainly don't want to write nice picture on something which is badly taken even if the subject amuses me.

whatriveristhis
21 May 2013 - 10:59 AM

Thanks everybody for giving me a clearer picture of how this all works. Feel happier about things now Smile

saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 43917 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway25 Constructive Critique Points
21 May 2013 - 11:39 AM

Due to time constraints, I comment only the same day I upload a new image myself. Then I comment on all my connections latest upload as well as trawl the gallery for images that interest me enough to comment on. Otherwise, I only have time to give a vote where warranted and go on to the next. Full-time job, wife, garden...etc, etc all require time and attention...

Malc

collywobles
21 May 2013 - 11:54 AM

Quote: Sometimes I Have a quick browse through the gallery's, If something catches my eye and for what ever reason I like it then I vote.

Me to, sometimes the image is just a pleasure to look at and doesn't need comments. There is a member on site who's images of Cornish Harbours just please me, bringing back memories of many happy holidays I have had in the places he photographs, he always gets a vote.

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53626 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
21 May 2013 - 12:19 PM

Some of your commenter's here on this thread are so good, i don't even vote for them anymore, they almost always produce work i like - and when i want to view such styles i go there.
Commenting is also hard as sometimes I'm just liking it loads and can't add anything constructive.

I've just quite liked one of your shots, and given a nod of appreciation toward it with a vote. Did not get time to see many others. Does that make it better than your others?

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64431 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
21 May 2013 - 12:38 PM

Quote: Some of your commenter's here on this thread are so good, i don't even vote for them anymore

Grin Perhaps we should have a new button that says "I love your work. It's all good. So just take it for granted I like it and have voted". Then every image they upload automatically gets your vote added. Grin
Then people won't be disappointed if you stop acknowledging their work. Smile
Wouldn't 'arf save a lot of time. Wink

Last Modified By SlowSong at 21 May 2013 - 12:44 PM
KevSB
KevSB  101407 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
21 May 2013 - 1:18 PM

Quote: Sometimes I Have a quick browse through the gallery's, If something catches my eye and for what ever reason I like it then I vote.

Me to, sometimes the image is just a pleasure to look at and doesn't need comments. There is a member on site who's images of Cornish Harbours just please me, bringing back memories of many happy holidays I have had in the places he photographs, he always gets a vote.

Which is a perfectly good reason to give a vote, Some get very fixated on quality, to me content is far more importent

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.