Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

The secret voter ..." who was that masked man....? "

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214388 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
21 May 2013 - 4:38 PM

Quote: time constraints

I think it is more than just that Ade.

There have been so many threads on voting habits, cliques etc, its done more harm than good to the site.

I bet many members are afraid to leave the odd nice pic comment for fear of retribution in some way, sounds silly I know.

If I like something I vote, and often simply state nice pic, like it etc, often my heads to muddled to leave a 500 word essay and I could`nt give a **** what other people think Smile

Personally I don`t crave votes I`m more into interaction but I do like voting on work I like or when I see a real improvement and leave a vote as encouragement for the poster to push further.

I make good use of the user awards as well or try to, 7 a week is about right, but good pictures for me are a bit like buses, they come along in 3`s, then there's nothing for a long while, I only wish these were 7 awards a week but not 7 awards a week @ 1 a day, its a real shame you can`t carry it over if there`s nothing rocking your boat on a particular day.

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 21 May 2013 - 4:39 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
21 May 2013 - 4:38 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 53989 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
21 May 2013 - 4:55 PM

Quote: I make good use of the user awards as well or try to, 7 a week is about right, but good pictures for me are a bit like buses, they come along in 3`s, then there's nothing for a long while, I only wish these were 7 awards a week but not 7 awards a week @ 1 a day, its a real shame you can`t carry it over if there`s nothing rocking your boat on a particular day.

Agree 100%.

RichardN00
RichardN00 e2 Member 7393 forum postsRichardN00 vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
21 May 2013 - 6:21 PM

I recently came across this on the 'net and I think it's very applicable to voting

"I much prefer the sharpest criticism of a single intelligent man to the thoughtless approval of the masses.

Johannes Kepler(German Astronomer, 1571-1630)

There are photographic sites where it seems every single image has a stream of comments, no matter what the image quality, along the lines of "great pic" , "love this - please vote for mine". I really don't want this site to become another one of those

Soon after I joined there was a click clique thread and someone posted a comment along the lines of "don't post a comment unless you can say something constructive, useful or encouraging and don't click unless you actually like the image" I've always tried to follow that philosophy. I don't have a lot of time to spend on the site so I tend to browse at speed, it may mean that I miss some good pictures but it does mean that any I do vote and comment on have really caught my eye and made me stop and examine them in detail

lawbert
lawbert  71639 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
21 May 2013 - 6:42 PM

Tis an interesting subject this...

What grinds me a little is when someone takes the time to review and maybe do a mod in the critique gallery and the OP doesnt even do a Like button click...let alone do a nominate as constructive critique, I even had to nominate one of Willies crits and mods the other day on someone else's imageSmile

seems to me there a lot more takers than givers on the site nowadaysSmile

I now just sit back and enjoy the adverts just like the TellyTongue

keithh
keithh  1022557 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
21 May 2013 - 7:03 PM

Well you would have to actually 'like' the mod to click 'like' and find the critique useful to want to turn it green. Other people nominating critique as being useful on my work is one of my pet hates - how would they know if it was useful....it isn't their bloody work.

lawbert
lawbert  71639 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
21 May 2013 - 7:14 PM

Quote: Well you would have to actually 'like' the mod to click 'like' and find the critique useful to want to turn it green. Other people nominating critique as being useful on my work is one of my pet hates - how would they know if it was useful....it isn't their bloody work.

Ease up old SonWink

Your contradicting yourself incrediblyTongue

Other people can like your mod and find your critique helpful....its not just a one way thing...Its open to all who view that gain something from it to express an opinionWinkWink

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 53989 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
21 May 2013 - 7:52 PM

Quote: Well you would have to actually 'like' the mod to click 'like' and find the critique useful to want to turn it green. Other people nominating critique as being useful on my work is one of my pet hates - how would they know if it was useful....it isn't their bloody work.

I think you can turn off Constructive Critique on your own images by going to Settings, Website Options, Gallery Options, then turning Cons Crit to Off. I did this ages ago and it seems to work.

Last Modified By SlowSong at 21 May 2013 - 7:52 PM
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214388 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
21 May 2013 - 8:48 PM

Quote: Soon after I joined there was a click clique thread and someone posted a comment along the lines of "don't post a comment unless you can say something constructive, useful or encouraging and don't click unless you actually like the image" I've always tried to follow that philosophy

I prefer to stay away from such places, what they say and really mean are two totally different things, and there not doing themselves any favours.

There basically saying there not open to constructive comments in the way of critique.

keithh
keithh  1022557 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
22 May 2013 - 12:18 PM

Quote: Ease up old Son

Your contradicting yourself incredibly

Other people can like your mod and find your critique helpful....its not just a one way thing...Its open to all who view that gain something from it to express an opinion

I am neither contradicting myself nor incapable of deciding whether critisiscm of my work was helpful or not. If it was in some weird way helpful to someone unconnected to it then I have no interest or a wish for them to paint the thread green. Wink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.