Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

The Storm

10 Mar 2008 10:11AM
so, whats the difference between this storm and lets say...a hurricane? If nothing, why don't they just say we are having a hurricane?

It rotates
it has an apparent eye
winds of up to 80 mph
flooding

Sounds like a hurricane to me.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mattw 11 5.2k 10 United Kingdom
10 Mar 2008 10:46AM
Information on what a hurricane is can be found on wikipedia

Actually, according to the Beaufort scale , to be a Hurricane, you need wind speeds of 90mph+. We only have 80mph at the moment.
cambirder 10 7.2k England
10 Mar 2008 10:53AM

Quote:It rotates
it has an apparent eye
winds of up to 80 mph
flooding

Sounds like a hurricane to me.

All cyclonic weather systems rotate, and will contain winds that gust above the average. A Cat 1 hurricane will have sustained wind speeds of between 74-95 mph, which will cause a surge of 4-5 feet above normal sea levels.

A lesser storm (as we have here) can only really cause sea water flooding when combined with exceptionally high tide, a Hurricane can do this with the help of tides.

As with the 1987 "hurricane" today's storm is way off being a hurricane, and we will never have one unless the North Atlantic warms up substantially.
Morpyre e2
10 1.6k 8 Wales
10 Mar 2008 11:03AM
i don't have beach cam urls as such other than my local beach but i imagine if you go to your local area website like the tourist board sites, there will be a link. =)
KarenFB 8 4.4k 163 England
10 Mar 2008 11:34AM

Quote:I don't have beach cam urls as such other than my local beach but i imagine if you go to your local area website like the tourist board sites, there will be a link. =)

Okay, thanks for coming back! Smile
Kris_Dutson 12 8.2k 1 England
10 Mar 2008 11:41AM
Just checked my barometer @ 400' ASL and it's showing 942 mb and falling.
keith selmes 11 7.1k 1 United Kingdom
10 Mar 2008 1:06PM

Quote:A lesser storm (as we have here) can only really cause sea water flooding when combined with exceptionally high tide
Funny you should mention that - the Plym estuary was full up this morning, with waves on it lke the open sea, and a flock of seagulls parked on the grass, all hunched down, beaks pointing into the wind.
admiles 8 241 United Kingdom
10 Mar 2008 1:12PM
I work in the Port of Felixstowe and you know its really windy when you can hear shipping containers being blown off the storage stacks!

Most major UK ports, except Southampton, are closed. All good fun. Don't think I venture down to the seafront at luch time though.

Anthony
deci 8 8 England
10 Mar 2008 3:47PM
Its now 15:45 and it doesn't seem any different here in Southport. Just as wet as usual, with very little wind......... In fact it's a lot less windy than usual.
Maybe tonight.........................
brian1208 e2
11 10.6k 12 United Kingdom
10 Mar 2008 4:20PM
Magpies have built a nest in the top of an Oak tree in a neighbour's garden. The way its been whipping about in the gusts I keep expecting to see one of them catapaulted out across the sky (they must be both hanging on like velcro).

Its been that windy that even the seagulls have been walking! Smile
tomcat e2
9 6.2k 15 United Kingdom
10 Mar 2008 5:28PM
Apologies if I upset anyone
That was not my intention
Possibly a few to many Pils had been consumed Smile
However I have seen images on the media today of folks standing pretty close to waves that were battering seafronts
One slip and they are a "gonner"

Lets hope it doesn't last to long

Adrian
alwolf 7 341 3 England
10 Mar 2008 7:50PM
admiles.........those bloody containers at Felixstowe are mine......giving me loads of grief at work trying to get some of them delivered.
uggyy 9 2.1k 9 Scotland
10 Mar 2008 8:09PM

Quote:giving me loads of grief at work trying to get some of them delivered.

If any have good camera kit in em, just pop em on an HGV and I can give you my address Wink
We've had the calmest day for ages up here in SW Northumberland.
Paul65 6 258 England
10 Mar 2008 9:16PM
Blimey. I only asked a simple question 24hrs ago and this is what happens, you stormy lot!!

Anyway, has anyone actually got any decent pics of today?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.