Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

The Storm

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

davidburleson
davidburleson ePHOTOzine Staff 72302 forum postsdavidburleson vcard United Kingdom
10 Mar 2008 - 10:11 AM

so, whats the difference between this storm and lets say...a hurricane? If nothing, why don't they just say we are having a hurricane?

It rotates
it has an apparent eye
winds of up to 80 mph
flooding

Sounds like a hurricane to me.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
10 Mar 2008 - 10:11 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mattw
mattw  105189 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
10 Mar 2008 - 10:46 AM

Information on what a hurricane is can be found on wikipedia

Actually, according to the Beaufort scale, to be a Hurricane, you need wind speeds of 90mph+. We only have 80mph at the moment.

cambirder
cambirder  107202 forum posts England
10 Mar 2008 - 10:53 AM

Quote: It rotates
it has an apparent eye
winds of up to 80 mph
flooding

Sounds like a hurricane to me.

All cyclonic weather systems rotate, and will contain winds that gust above the average. A Cat 1 hurricane will have sustained wind speeds of between 74-95 mph, which will cause a surge of 4-5 feet above normal sea levels.

A lesser storm (as we have here) can only really cause sea water flooding when combined with exceptionally high tide, a Hurricane can do this with the help of tides.

As with the 1987 "hurricane" today's storm is way off being a hurricane, and we will never have one unless the North Atlantic warms up substantially.

Morpyre
Morpyre e2 Member 91622 forum postsMorpyre vcard Wales8 Constructive Critique Points
10 Mar 2008 - 11:03 AM

i don't have beach cam urls as such other than my local beach but i imagine if you go to your local area website like the tourist board sites, there will be a link. =)

KarenFB
KarenFB Junior Gallery Team 84254 forum postsKarenFB vcard England162 Constructive Critique Points
10 Mar 2008 - 11:34 AM

Quote: I don't have beach cam urls as such other than my local beach but i imagine if you go to your local area website like the tourist board sites, there will be a link. =)

Okay, thanks for coming back! Smile

Kris_Dutson
10 Mar 2008 - 11:41 AM

Just checked my barometer @ 400' ASL and it's showing 942 mb and falling.

keith selmes
10 Mar 2008 - 1:06 PM

Quote: A lesser storm (as we have here) can only really cause sea water flooding when combined with exceptionally high tide

Funny you should mention that - the Plym estuary was full up this morning, with waves on it lke the open sea, and a flock of seagulls parked on the grass, all hunched down, beaks pointing into the wind.

admiles
admiles  8241 forum posts United Kingdom
10 Mar 2008 - 1:12 PM

I work in the Port of Felixstowe and you know its really windy when you can hear shipping containers being blown off the storage stacks!

Most major UK ports, except Southampton, are closed. All good fun. Don't think I venture down to the seafront at luch time though.

Anthony

deci
deci  7 England
10 Mar 2008 - 3:47 PM

Its now 15:45 and it doesn't seem any different here in Southport. Just as wet as usual, with very little wind......... In fact it's a lot less windy than usual.
Maybe tonight.........................

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110171 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
10 Mar 2008 - 4:20 PM

Magpies have built a nest in the top of an Oak tree in a neighbour's garden. The way its been whipping about in the gusts I keep expecting to see one of them catapaulted out across the sky (they must be both hanging on like velcro).

Its been that windy that even the seagulls have been walking! Smile

tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 85867 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
10 Mar 2008 - 5:28 PM

Apologies if I upset anyone
That was not my intention
Possibly a few to many Pils had been consumed Smile
However I have seen images on the media today of folks standing pretty close to waves that were battering seafronts
One slip and they are a "gonner"

Lets hope it doesn't last to long

Adrian

alwolf
alwolf  7341 forum posts England3 Constructive Critique Points
10 Mar 2008 - 7:50 PM

admiles.........those bloody containers at Felixstowe are mine......giving me loads of grief at work trying to get some of them delivered.

uggyy
uggyy  82104 forum posts Scotland9 Constructive Critique Points
10 Mar 2008 - 8:09 PM

Quote: giving me loads of grief at work trying to get some of them delivered.

If any have good camera kit in em, just pop em on an HGV and I can give you my address Wink

aftertherain
10 Mar 2008 - 8:12 PM

We've had the calmest day for ages up here in SW Northumberland.

Paul65
Paul65  6258 forum posts England
10 Mar 2008 - 9:16 PM

Blimey. I only asked a simple question 24hrs ago and this is what happens, you stormy lot!!

Anyway, has anyone actually got any decent pics of today?

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.