Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

The Tetons and the Snake River

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Adobecs
    Adobecs  8113 forum posts England
    1 Mar 2010 - 6:47 PM

Hi Everyone,
    For my photography degree I have to write a comparison essay on two contrasting photographs. One of the photographs I have chosen is by Ansel Adams. The photograph is called "The Tetons and the Snake River". Try as I might I cannot find any information relating to the picture. There are plenty of websites showing the image and plenty of books showing the image. But I cannot find any info on why he took it and what inspired him to take it, also what equipment he used. Does anyone out there know where I can find any facts about the photograph.

Help appreciated,
    Pat.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    1 Mar 2010 - 6:47 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

crookymonsta
    crookymonsta e2 Member 6675 forum postscrookymonsta vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Mar 2010 - 7:16 PM

Had a quick trawl through Google and it seems the University of Arizona Centre for Creative Photography has an extensive Ansel Adams archive. It may be worth an email to them.
    Sandra

Adobecs
    1 Mar 2010 - 7:19 PM

Thanks Sandra, I have had a look on their site but cant find a lot of info. I think you are right, I will have to drop them an email.
    Pat.

PP
    PP  12222 forum posts England
    1 Mar 2010 - 8:51 PM

I had the opportunity to visit this location in 2008, and have to say its one of the most beautiful views I have ever seen. Even people with no interest in photography would probably be impressed by it. My guess, for what its worth, is that Adams captured the image to covey the beauty of the location....and succeeded greatly. However, I am unfortunately unable to answer your questions! Let us know if you find out.

Phil

fstopshere
    1 Mar 2010 - 10:50 PM

It might be worth looking at the photograph taken from a similar viewpoint, of the same scene, by Minor White, or is this the contrasting image you are using? I have a couple of biographies of Adams and I'll see if I can find any mention of the image and/or the process.

fstopshere
    1 Mar 2010 - 11:07 PM

have a look at www.nps.gov/history/online_books/grte2/hrs.htm

fstopshere
    1 Mar 2010 - 11:12 PM

oops www.nps.gov/history/online_books/grte2/hrs18.htm

kaybee
    kaybee  93696 forum posts Scotland24 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Mar 2010 - 10:13 AM

These folk may be able to point you in the right direction

Adobecs
    2 Mar 2010 - 4:01 PM

Thanks for your everyone.
    Pat.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.