Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

The things that keep we awake at night!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    ecowarrior
    3 Mar 2010 - 8:10 PM

There are many. Not all are photography related, but some are...

For one thing, why is it that my lovely new camera is perfect now, but 10 years from now will be "not good enough" because it will be obsolete? What changed? You know it will happen...

How many megapixels are enough? How about 10 years from now?

Why don't I live in the North? Or even further South? Places that have coastlines on their doorstep. Or Glencoe.

Why did I suddenly get my photography bug back in the middle of sodding February?

Why is my favourite sort of photography EXACTLY the sort of photography that DOESN'T suit my style of camera?

Why is it I'd be too scared to try out my sort of photography anyway, making the above a moot point!

Henri-Cartier Bresson was a great photographer. But there are hundreds, perhaps THOUSANDS of photographers out there like him. Will anybody remember them 50 years from now when FLICKR is a mere memory?

Why can't I visualise anything at the moment? Maybe I need it to be springtime. Maybe I'm missing that extra gene that only great photographers have.

Will film cameras become obsolete simply because film stops being made completely?

Will I ever afford those classy lenses that I can't afford. And if I could, would the wife let me buy them anyway?

Are there any TRULY innovative photographers out there now, or is everybody copying somebody else? Is it OK just to stand in the same place as somebody else and capture the same picture?

Terrible thing, time! Allows me to worry! :o/

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    3 Mar 2010 - 8:10 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Snapper
    Snapper  93731 forum posts United States Minor Outlying Islands3 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Mar 2010 - 8:52 PM

Quote: Will film cameras become obsolete simply because film stops being made completely?

Yes and no. The variety of available films will reduce, as will the various sizes. Consumer sized films such as APS and 110 have effectively gone, but the sheer number of 35mm cameras still in existence will ensure that 35mm will carry on a while yet. It will increasingly become a niche product, but with a steady customer base.

joolsb
    joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Mar 2010 - 9:12 PM

Quote: Are there any TRULY innovative photographers out there now, or is everybody copying somebody else?

There certainly are. You'll have to go looking for their work, though.

Quote: Is it OK just to stand in the same place as somebody else and capture the same picture?

Some say it is. I say: you'll never find your own style and vision if you're always trying to explicitly copy what others have done.

User_Removed
    3 Mar 2010 - 9:27 PM

Winter does suck, i detest it as much as the OP by the sounds of it.

How about trying something completely new and alien to you? Although my passion for photography didnt really wane, i did feel i needed a new direction andchallenge after all the wildlife andwindswept images of north norfolk coastline, the sky art and the self portraits.

Was the latter that made me decide to try portraiture, and one thing led to another, and another....

I think you need a kick up your creatives lol something to put the spark back into photography for you. Just have a look around, it doesnt matter if it takes a week or several months, but eventually you'll find something that really drives you, increases your enthusiasm and passion. After all, photography should never be a chore.

Gosh just call me Marjorie Proops tonight Grin

ecowarrior
    3 Mar 2010 - 9:51 PM

RAP's nailed it.

Problem is I'm almost failing before I start. I'm spending a fair bit of time looking on google earth for good ideas as to where to go, but right now with it grey and dull out there, I'm a bit lost. Also, I realise that I'm kinda looking at google earth and panoramia for photographic ideas, and the realising that... well, the reason I like a particular place is because somebody has already nailed it with a great shot! What I want to do, is somehow do my own thing, get my own style.

A bit of summer, a few meadows of flowers, a couple of hay bales here and there and I'm sure all will be well with the world, but right now I do seem a bit flat.

The camera club I've joined recently will hopefully keep me going. I quite like the idea of trying other things. Frankly, I just wanna use my camera, take great shots of *anything*, and have fun! I'm going to have to have a drive around locally and see what's about. I'm sick of windmills already mind you!!

Gah! Another sleepless night no doubt!!

roxpix
    roxpix  102236 forum posts Scotland11 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Mar 2010 - 10:06 PM

More winter please
    My camera has racked up more actuations in the last 8 weeks than it did than it did in the preceding 8 months

I'm worried that as each week passes I might miss my last chance for nearly a year to get the shots that only winter allows

Summer's for the garden and holidays and bar-be-q's and relaxing outdoors, too many other demands on our time Smile

joolsb
    3 Mar 2010 - 10:56 PM

Quote: What I want to do, is somehow do my own thing, get my own style.

Quote: I'm spending a fair bit of time looking on google earth for good ideas as to where to go, but right now with it grey and dull out there

Hmmm. Why not try and use dull, grey weather to your advantage, then? Landscape doesn't always have to be about golden light. And not every landscape shot has to show the sky...

StrayCat
    StrayCat e2 Member 1014639 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
    4 Mar 2010 - 4:35 AM

Right!!! You could become the dull, grey guy.

User_Removed
    4 Mar 2010 - 6:59 AM

Thats true about landscapes dont need sky, although it does help on most images id hazard to guess.

Roxpix. my camera has been used a lot too over the past few months, although rarely for the wintery scenes, only went out a few times with the intention to gather images, and one of those times was when all those Fieldfares gathered in the apple orchards nearby, was a no brainer really lol

But so is the summertime, in a few weeks we will have the bluebells, oilseed rape flowers carpeting the farmers fields, then the lavender, then the poppies a bit later on and everything else in between. And yep, ill be out capturing them like i usually do but this time in a very different way, and i already have a model lined up for this =o)

I remember a few months ago when i felt despair at my hometowns familiarity, i couldnt see anything to photograph even though i knew there were lots of nice places in town. i was just hometown blind. That changed when i bought a vintage 35mm camera, i went into town several times and used some film up. I even togged places that were nothing really special, but i wasnt after perfection, i just wanted to record our changing town.

Even did a photoshoot in town soon after, and one comment made on one of those images was "it looks like Italy" wow, and it did i suppose, in a way.

Photography though, the best cure for seasonal affective disorder. Dont try and fight SAD, you never win, just go and do your own thing and the winter will soon turn to spring. Already the birds outside are vocal at dawn, the volume will increase over the next few weeks as the mating and nesting begins. Bright green shoots will soon cover the naked branches of trees, and those lovely white flowers which line our A roads will soon arrive, along with the daisies and buttercups.

Actually, looking outside my window it could be spring now. The sun is out in a clear blue sky, cant hear the birds though because i have Moyles on the radio, but i heard them when i woke up earlier.

You know what, my shoots not til tomorrow but im gonna go out with my camera today, possibly by the coast, and see what happens.

Reasons to be cheerful?

Its friday Smile

joolsb
    4 Mar 2010 - 7:38 AM

Quote: Thats true about landscapes dont need sky, although it does help on most images id hazard to guess.

Obviously, if you're confronted by a great sky it would be a crime not to incorporate it into your picture. Equally, a grey day is no excuse to stop shooting - look for details, abstracts, landscapes on a more intimate scale and work with subjects which benefit from soft, even lighting.

dwilkin
    dwilkin  724249 forum posts United Kingdom
    4 Mar 2010 - 8:13 AM

Quote: Why don't I live in the North? Or even further South? Places that have coastlines on their doorstep. Or Glencoe.

Or anywhere but the middle of soddin' London? Tongue

Last Modified By dwilkin at 4 Mar 2010 - 8:13 AM
    john64
    john64 e2 Member 9824 forum postsjohn64 vcard England
    4 Mar 2010 - 10:24 AM

Quote: How about trying something completely new and alien to you? Although my passion for photography didnt really wane, i did feel i needed a new direction andchallenge after all the wildlife andwindswept images of north norfolk coastline, the sky art and the self portraits.

Exactly what happened to me at the back end of last year. Short of inspiration, I decided to break out of my comfort zone and go and try shooting in a studio.

I had absolutely no idea about setting up lights and as for directing a model...

Since then I've had over a dozen studio shoots, with more booked and in that time I think I've only shot one other project. I'm really enjoying the studio work, the guys that run the place are helpful, the rest of the regulars there are a friendly bunch and I've come away with some good stuff (IMHO). It's an added bonus that there's usually a pretty girl to aim our lenses at, although not always, as we have also had some alternative style shoots.

In short, break out of your comfort zone, you never know where it might lead.

JC

CathyT
    CathyT e2 Member 87271 forum postsCathyT vcard United Kingdom18 Constructive Critique Points
    4 Mar 2010 - 11:58 AM

My husband snoring....

joolsb
    4 Mar 2010 - 12:37 PM

Don't you have a cattle-prod under the bed?
    Wink

ecowarrior
    4 Mar 2010 - 7:18 PM

I don't really have a comfort zone, cos I've really done so little photography in reality. By joining the club, which in itself was out of my CZ, I I'm hoping to get a feel for what I really like to do. I think I'm baseing my idea of photography on the kinds of photos I like, naturally, but perhaps the opportunities for me to take such photos aren't easily accessible. I do quite like portraiture (sp?) but again, the thought of going into a studio like John64, well I tip my hat to ya, it's something I wouldn't have the nerve to do. Perhaps the club will open up some possibilities though.

Going to the Spring Fly Fishing Fair on Sunday so hopefully I can take some "photojournalism-type" shots there. At least it's a start.

Now I'll be stressing over which lens to take!!

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.