Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

The time has come for a new desktop...

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    jimthistle73
    16 Jul 2010 - 5:50 PM

... and I know almost nothing about computer spec!

Looking to replace my tower. It's my wedding photography mashing machine and as such, runs only Lightroom and Photoshop. A few other progs too but all in all it's a very clean machine - I don't store photos, play games, or even browse the net on itso it's purely for processing.

My current machine must be coming on ten years old and takes an age to do anything - a friend of mine showed me his super-cooled, quad core beast and I was flabbergasted - also made me realise how much valuable time I'm wasting, drinking tea and waiting two hours for NoiseNinja to process 300 pics!

If anyone in the know could help me with what I should be looking for I'd be grateful. It doesn't have to be anything amazing - just a bit faster than what I have now would be good. Budget is flexible - some of Dell's refurbished stuff looks OK (to me!) at about 300 - 500?

I've been told in the past that two internal HDs is a good idea for caching whilst using PS - is this still true?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    16 Jul 2010 - 5:50 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Jul 2010 - 6:07 PM

Quote: some of Dell's refurbished stuff looks OK (to me!) at about 300 - 500

That would be my first and only recommendation.....Smile

Though you might want to view thier Brand New tower only units, As quite honestly there is not a gread deal of price difference, That and a bang up to date machine will in theory still be competitive several years down the road.

If I where to make suggestion on the Dell spec, I'd say make sure the CPU ( Processor ) is at least an Intel i5 around 2.5ghz, With at least 4 Gb of ram ( hard memory ) .....!!!

And of course " Windows 7 " 64bit operating system, The rest is up to you hard drives & graphic upgrades etc, Can always be done later, And cheaper than Dell will offer at point of sale.

Regarding more than one HDD drive, Yep! more than one gives you better performance in Photoshop, ie: you can use " Scratch Discs " and more virtual memory etc etc.....!!!

Wink

StrayCat
    StrayCat  1014451 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Jul 2010 - 6:11 PM

HP have a deal on one over here right now, 6GB ram and a 750GB drive, tower only for $499.00. I need one also, and I just bought a new monitor. I can't see spending a lot of money, and replacing it again in a few years. Mine is 12 years old.Tongue

jimthistle73
    16 Jul 2010 - 6:28 PM

So many cats! Cheers to you both for that - off for a serious look at Dell's stuff again, new and refurb. Was a bit worried that my budget would be laughed off the site Smile

BigRick
    BigRick  82085 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Jul 2010 - 6:36 PM

Have a look at Novatech, and Ebuyer, and Scan.... they all do tower only deals that may suit your budget if you already have the keyboard mouse and monitor. Smile

geoffash26
    geoffash26  102506 forum posts United Kingdom
    16 Jul 2010 - 6:40 PM

Can also recommend Novatech they replaced a faulty motherboard without any problems a while ago. Smile

jimthistle73
    16 Jul 2010 - 6:47 PM

Cheers - also looking at the new suggestions - all a bit overwhelming TBH.... I'll get there!

geoffash26
    geoffash26  102506 forum posts United Kingdom
    16 Jul 2010 - 7:03 PM

Have bought from ebuyer before but not computers with good service

A selection on your budget

Last Modified By geoffash26 at 16 Jul 2010 - 7:05 PM
    davey_griffo
    16 Jul 2010 - 7:36 PM

Quote: Was a bit worried that my budget would be laughed off the site

Not these days, that's a perfectly reasonable budget. PC development seems to have slowed down in recent years, & people are hanging on to them longer. I suppose it's because of the X-station & playbox. You don't trade them in every year to 18 months, so why should you upgrade your PC all the time? Also alptops are becoming more popular, & I don't suppose many think that they can be upgraded.

Then there's the current economic climate that means people can't afford to.

I bought my last PC about 4 years ago. Picked it up with my shopping at Tesco for 550.00. It was a deal I couldn't resist, but don't go back there looking for tech support!! Smile

Even traditionally expensive places like PC World are not outlandish any more, as they supplement their shop sales with online, & can afford to sell cheaper. They sell Dell in store, so you could always look at a model first, tell them you'll be back, then order direct from Dell, if you can get it cheaper. Be cheeky!! Smile

Last Modified By davey_griffo at 16 Jul 2010 - 7:38 PM
    lawbert
    lawbert  71684 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Jul 2010 - 7:59 PM

Your Budget will get you a very good tower....Dell do some fantastic deals to suit your budget...But going direct to thier website doesnt bring out the cheapest prices.....This is where to get the best spec dell at the best price

scottishphototours

Jim,

I done this recently for the exact same reason - wedding mashing!

I got a top spec Dell with i7 proc, dual 1Tb drives, 16Gb ram, win 7 premium 64-bit etc for 799. I then added a Dell 2209 Ultrasharp monitor for 250 from Amazon.

After getting this running I'm now finding that it's around 6 times faster when processing files than the old one. I can also browse through jpegs at lightning speed - have just processed 115 raws to tiffs in under 4 minutes when the old pc took 30 minutes!!!! The Win7 is also very good - lots of nice features to make life easy.

So glad I never bought that Apple...

Bucephalas69
    16 Jul 2010 - 11:10 PM

I've bought a Dell Studio XPS with an i7 860 2.8.
    64bit with Windows 7 and it's how Pc's should be......Lightning fast and upto 8 cores wizzing away when required.
    Mine cost 600 but should last me for some years to come.
    PS runs like a dream and no more waiting for NEF files to load or save.

jimthistle73
    16 Jul 2010 - 11:27 PM

Cheers to all - those speed reports are exactly what I wanted to hear Grin

Giving myself a short cooling off period whilst I think about spec.... With the Dell machines, does a firewire port come as standard? If not, would it be easy enough to fit one afterwards? I ask as I have a Sandisk CF reader which doubled the read speed whilst uploading...

Thanks again, much appreciated.

BigRick
    BigRick  82085 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Jul 2010 - 2:56 PM

the latest usb ports are faster than original firewire i believe.... have a look at the speed of various ports and compare. Smile

scottishphototours

Quote: Cheers to all - those speed reports are exactly what I wanted to hear Grin

Giving myself a short cooling off period whilst I think about spec.... With the Dell machines, does a firewire port come as standard? If not, would it be easy enough to fit one afterwards? I ask as I have a Sandisk CF reader which doubled the read speed whilst uploading...

Thanks again, much appreciated.

The higher spec units come with firewire as standard, and can be specced on lower units as an upgrade.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.