Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

The underrated photo thread

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

javam
javam  91083 forum posts United Kingdom19 Constructive Critique Points
2 May 2008 - 3:33 PM

Ok, this is an idea I put forward on Ade's thread as a way to bring more attention to photos on ephotozine that deserve it rather than ones that perhaps get too much.

The aim is to add a link to a photo you think is good, but has not received the attention it deserves and state why you think it deserves more attention.

I would suggest the following rules.

1: The picture you select must have less than 10 clicks and cannot be a photo marked as for critique only.

2: It has to have been on the site for at least 7 days.

3: When adding a link to a photo in this thread you must explain why you like it and please no 'because it has nice composition' comments, put a good case forward.

4: If your shot is linked to from here, please feel free to participate, but do not select a photo from the gallery of the person who selected your shot. This is not about mutual back scratching.

5: Do not link to your own photos.

I think that should cover it.

I am off to find my first one, but feel free to start posting now!

Neil

Last Modified By javam at 2 May 2008 - 3:38 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
2 May 2008 - 3:33 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

conrad
conrad  1010874 forum posts116 Constructive Critique Points
2 May 2008 - 3:36 PM

And don't link to your own photos, you might have added...

javam
2 May 2008 - 3:37 PM

oops, good point, rules updated.

culturedcanvas

OK it's from a tog who usually gets a lot of clicks but this one was well underclicked for me ... the graphic quality of the image, the expansive vista, its commercial appeal and the figures in the foreground add a real sense of scale .. they are some of the reasons this shot works well in my opinion.

linky thing

EDIT

**** didnt realise it had to have less than 10 votes .. not sure why 10? for some shots 30 clicks might be low?

Last Modified By culturedcanvas at 2 May 2008 - 3:45 PM
Geraint
Geraint  8715 forum posts Wales34 Constructive Critique Points
2 May 2008 - 3:47 PM

Here's my suggestion. I know it's not particularly sharp, but I personally like the overall composition (I find the model's pose very powerful), and the repetition of the textures (the grass, coat and trails in the sky). I'd imagine a larger version would be very impressive. I also think the photographer's portfolio is excellent.
Geraint

EDIT Great idea by the way

Last Modified By Geraint at 2 May 2008 - 3:49 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
javam
2 May 2008 - 3:47 PM

Quote: OK it's from a tog who usually gets a lot of clicks but this one was well underclicked for me ... the graphic quality of the image, the expansive vista, its commercial appeal and the figures in the foreground add a real sense of scale .. they are some of the reasons this shot works well in my opinion.

linky thing

It is an underrated shot for sure, but it breaks rule number 1 unless 9 people have been very quick off the mark!

If the limit of 10 and under starts causing problems we can revise the rules, but can we try sticking to them for now.

Thanks

Neil

Last Modified By javam at 2 May 2008 - 3:48 PM
javam
2 May 2008 - 3:50 PM

Quote: **** didnt realise it had to have less than 10 votes .. not sure why 10? for some shots 30 clicks might be low?

If we open it up, it opens it up to potential abuse, so as I posted as you were editing, lets try and stick to the rules as set out for now.

Thanks

conrad
conrad  1010874 forum posts116 Constructive Critique Points
2 May 2008 - 4:19 PM

Okay, can't think of any under or at 10, but there's a few that do qualify if I don't count my own click - so in order to link to them here, I'll just temporarily ignore the fact that I clicked them.

The first is well, I have only two words for it: Pure art! Have a look here.

The second I like for its colour, atmosphere, and slight sense of mystery: here.

And the last one probably shouldn't qualify at all, since it has thirteen votes, but first of all I think it deserves a lot more, and secondly the photographer might be happy with a not quite so unlucky number of clicks. And my motivation for liking it is that I think it's one of the best concert shots on EPZ - it captures some of the stage effects used, has excellent lighting, and shows the emotion of the performer, who also happens to be one of my favourite singers. Oh, and it's also one of the least clicked EC shots on the site. You'll find it here.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
RogBrown
RogBrown  73006 forum posts England10 Constructive Critique Points
2 May 2008 - 4:21 PM

I've got loads with less than 10 clicks!!!!!!!!!!!! Smile Smile Smile

Last Modified By RogBrown at 2 May 2008 - 4:21 PM
javam
2 May 2008 - 4:23 PM

Now we are back up and running I can finally add my own suggestion...

Aircraft are one of my favourite photographic subjects and Steve is one of the best air show photographers on here, but some of his shots sink without trace:

Like This one.

The plane is sharp, the all important prop blur is spot on, you can see the hammering the girls face is taking from the wind and it is all perfectly placed in the frame. Maybe a little let down by the overcast weather conditions, but it deserves much more attention than it received back in may last year.

Neil

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014816 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
2 May 2008 - 4:28 PM

This photo of St peter's in Rome may not be your text book architecture shot, the sky is burned out to whiteness, you could even say that the dome is over exposed.

But to me, this shows a side of the Vatican that I've never seen before, one where ther is a bustling city full of cars around it, rather than the detached view we normally get of it.

the fact that there are cars looming large in the foreground emphasizes that they are a big part of city life - the nearest 2 are almost as big as the dome!

But at the end of it all, there is St Peter's looming over eveything like a white giant. The longer lens (I assume) has contracted the perspective to make it dominate the background.

A nice piece of work with just 4 clicks

csurry
csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
2 May 2008 - 4:28 PM

Two possible effects of this thread

1) By the time most people view the images they will have more than 10 votes

OR

2) The image poster will simply be more disillusioned cos the views go up significantly but the votes don't

Smile

WelshKiwi
WelshKiwi  63231 forum posts Wales2 Constructive Critique Points
2 May 2008 - 4:29 PM

Wow, this is a really good concept and I certainly hope its not abused because so far Ive just viewed some terrific work that I would not have seen before.

Ive always thought a challenge on the forums should be based upon something like this.

I think its a fantastic way of letting people see what inspires others.

Good look with it Neil, I really hope it works.

Lee Smile

EDIT, I thought my question would be stupid so I didnt ask it, but I was going to ask if we can comment and vote because of the 10 click thing Smile

Last Modified By WelshKiwi at 2 May 2008 - 4:30 PM
culturedcanvas

What about this one ?

link

Wink

csurry
csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
2 May 2008 - 4:30 PM

Quote: What about this one ?

link

Aaaaarrrrrrrgggghhhh!!!

And now a hundred copy shots will be posted when people see how many votes that has Sad

And it's all your fault Dan!!!

Last Modified By csurry at 2 May 2008 - 4:30 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.