Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

The votes

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

alex_noel
alex_noel  1 United Kingdom
22 Aug 2012 - 5:21 PM

What happens to the votes? Do the editors choose a photo of the week or something from the voting?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
22 Aug 2012 - 5:21 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

KarenFB
KarenFB Junior Gallery Team 84254 forum postsKarenFB vcard England162 Constructive Critique Points
22 Aug 2012 - 5:26 PM

No.

It's just for fun! Grin

Some people may get a bit het up if they don't get (what they consider) enough, but it makes no difference to life. If you get thirty on one image then one of the faded boxes (Readers Choice) turns brightly coloured but that's it!

Last Modified By KarenFB at 22 Aug 2012 - 5:27 PM
Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
22 Aug 2012 - 5:40 PM

Voting is just a bit of nonsense, really. It was brought in, in 2004 with the best of intentions but has proved to be all a bit silly with groups of people ('virtual friends') voting for each others' photos regardless of how good or bad they are. However there is no stomach for ditching voting altogether.

However............... about a year or so ago, EPZ gave individual members the facility to disable voting. One of the best innovations to date, IMO. Smile

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314915 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
22 Aug 2012 - 5:43 PM

Quote: Voting is just a bit of nonsense, really. It was brought in, in 2004 with the best of intentions but has proved to be all a bit silly with groups of people ('virtual friends') voting for each others' photos regardless of how good or bad they are

The only nonsense I`ve ever seen is those that complain Smile

PinkK
PinkK  580 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
22 Aug 2012 - 6:07 PM

If you want to see who has voted for your image, you have to become a paid E2 member, which is a shame. But the voting is essentially just for fun Smile

alex_noel
alex_noel  1 United Kingdom
22 Aug 2012 - 6:18 PM

I am not a paid member and I can see who has voted on my Bridge shot

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53534 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
22 Aug 2012 - 7:03 PM

I do slight use voting to guage how i'm doing in different genera's - with a large pinch of salt. But comments are much better.

I also look at voting on other's photo's to see if i see why it got the votes it did. and whether i agree with it.

I also like it when some specific people vote on photos i like as i know they will have enjoyed it. And also when some of the more experienced members vote on a photo of mine as i think they indicate that its not bad Smile

But don't worry about votes, some are way under voted and some way over voted.

Welcome to ePz Alex.

joshwa
joshwa ePHOTOzine Staff 3596 forum postsjoshwa vcard United Kingdom
22 Aug 2012 - 9:12 PM

Quote: I am not a paid member and I can see who has voted on my Bridge shot

How long have you been a member? It could be that you are still in the free e2 trial period Smile

YoBellzaa
YoBellzaa ePHOTOzine Staff 7224 forum postsYoBellzaa vcard England
22 Aug 2012 - 9:15 PM

Yes Alex, you're on a free 2 week e2 trial, which all new members now get, enjoy!

rayme330
rayme330 e2 Member 2rayme330 vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
25 Aug 2012 - 8:09 PM

I have suggested recently that it may be a good idea that you can't see to whom an image belongs until you have voted for it.
This would mean that you would only vote for images that appeal directly to you, and go some way to preventing cliques from forming.

Eastlands
Eastlands e2 Member 3648 forum postsEastlands vcard Northern Ireland3 Constructive Critique Points
25 Aug 2012 - 8:13 PM

Quote: I have suggested recently that it may be a good idea that you can't see to whom an image belongs until you have voted for it.
This would mean that you would only vote for images that appeal directly to you, and go some way to preventing cliques from forming.

Sounds like a good idea, but in practice my experience from this site and from my Camera Club is that after a while you can often identify the work of a tog without seeing their name

saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 43614 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway23 Constructive Critique Points
25 Aug 2012 - 8:35 PM

Quote: I have suggested recently that it may be a good idea that you can't see to whom an image belongs until you have voted for it.

Sounds like a good idea, but in practice my experience from this site and from my Camera Club is that after a while you can often identify the work of a tog without seeing their name

You would also get the cliquees tipping each other off as to the identity of their images.

Malc

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014469 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
25 Aug 2012 - 9:05 PM

How would you know which pictures to vote on then?Grin

cantona43
cantona43 e2 Member 8863 forum postscantona43 vcard England4 Constructive Critique Points
25 Aug 2012 - 10:02 PM

Quote: you can often identify the work of a tog without seeing their name

That's easy on mine they are all c**p
Neil Wink

Tooth
Tooth  95772 forum posts Ireland227 Constructive Critique Points
25 Aug 2012 - 10:31 PM

Quote: The only nonsense I`ve ever seen is those that complain Smile

Quite agree Paul - just because (I believe) a small proportion of members use the voting system as a mutual back-slapping exercise, it doesn't mean that everyone does, and it doesn't mean it's worthless. I honestly think it's quite insulting to the majority of members who use the voting system in a genuine bona-fide way, to be accused of being mindless saddos by people with a chip on their shoulder.

To Alex Noel

welcome to EPZ. Here's my view on the voting system

1) if you like an image, click (vote) on it. If you don't, don't - simples

2) don't vote on an image just because someone's voted on one of yours, unless you are of the mentality that wants to be part of a mutual appreciation club

3) don't be disheartened if your pics don't receive many votes, especially early on. It's a very big site, and your photo can easily slip through un-noticed

4) the more active you are on the site, the more people are likely to se your pics, the more likely some of them will like them, and the more likely you are to get votes. So browse the galleries, vote on pictures you like, and more importantly, comment on them - in short interact

5) NB point 4 is not the same as saying the more people you court, the more mindless you are, which is what some of the begrudgers seem to think.

Imagine you move to a new town where you know no-one, and go to the local pub once a week. You could

a) sit in the corner reading the paper and ignoring people

b) be open and friendly and inteacat genuinely with people, till you eventually probably find a small circle of friends, and are an accepted part of the pub community, or

c) be the life and soul of the party, go round buying rounds for everyone and licking up to everyone..

If you prefer b, then that's best the way to be on here IMO.

6) beware of people who very quickly land and vote on every one of your photos - after a while it becomes easy to spot the worthless clique voters (who as I said are in the minority)

7) don't use the number of votes to guage how good you are against other members' votes. But it can be useful to use it to see what is liked and liked less within your own portfolio. Eg you put up a pic you think is great, but it gets only half the votes that you normally get for a similar pic. This might cause you t re-examine the pic and realise some faults you hadn't seen yourself

8) comments are worth much more than votes, especially if they're constructive and honest.

9) signs of people who may use the voting system as a back-slapping mutual appreciation exercise

(This is going to rattle a few cages Smile

a) in their recent activity, the ratio of comments to uploaded pictures is 30+

b) they have recent activity tuened off

c) the description on their pics thanks everyone for voting on the last one - even links to it - and especially if in bold type..

d) they give an update on their personal life before mentioning the pic

e) look at a random page of the galley and see who's votes on each pic one by one - you may see a pattern

10) now you know what to look out for, decide how you want to use the site. Don't be put off using the voting system because of a few begrudgers, just decide how you want to use it and be honest to yourself

11) enjoy EPZ, it has the potential to be a wonderful positive experince in your life Smile

Stephen

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.