Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

The Vulcan's in trouble...

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
discreetphoton
discreetphoton Site Moderator 93452 forum postsdiscreetphoton vcard United Kingdom20 Constructive Critique Points
10 Feb 2010 - 11:27 PM

Sad days indeed. I've decided to do my bit to help. Hopefully others will do the same.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
10 Feb 2010 - 11:27 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

riggwelter
10 Feb 2010 - 11:36 PM

As much as I love this aircraft, the old saying 'flogging a dead horse' comes to mind.

chris.maddock
11 Feb 2010 - 6:00 AM

The use of a repetitive begging bowl is hardly a viable business method unfortunately. They do seem to have adopted the attitude of, rather then actively seeking sponsorship, constantly "holding the fans to ransom".
I've lost count of the number of times they've stated that unless they can get x million by such-and-such date, that's it. Maybe it's time to accept that.

collywobles
11 Feb 2010 - 8:05 AM

There was one sitting on the end of Southend Airport for years that never made it to in the Sky. I believe it was once sold for a 1. Even if they get it going it will still absorb millions to keep flying. There are more omportant things to give my money to.

Last Modified By collywobles at 11 Feb 2010 - 8:06 AM
mohikan22
mohikan22  102187 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
11 Feb 2010 - 8:17 AM

much as i love the vulcan i agree it is time to leave it alone... seriously how much metal fatigue can a plane so old handle anymore......every plane eventually finds itself mothballed. f4 phantom.. an awesome yet in its day... now only 5th rate if yu find them flying at all..the f14 tomcat.. replaced....no new ones being built....f-117 retired ..replaced by the b2,, so i think its time, sadly but inevitable.

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
11 Feb 2010 - 8:30 AM

Seconded

kaybee
kaybee  103804 forum posts Scotland24 Constructive Critique Points
11 Feb 2010 - 9:08 AM

I must say I am saddened to see such a negative responce to this thread.

Buying a few less pints, a few fewer packets of cigarettes ...... even doing without so many photo mags over the year is all it will take from each of us to keep such a major piece of history 'alive'.

Which looks better .... a tiger in its natural habitat or stuffed in a museum?

strawman
strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
11 Feb 2010 - 9:45 AM

The Vulcan has had its time, so let it go to a museum to be preserved and pick other issues to support.

Sorry I guess we all make a priority call. Flying a Cold war plane that was obsoleted so quickly after its introduction does not strike as that important. Lets preserve it so we can remember and learn from the mistakes that lead to the desire to make it.

ventile
ventile  7152 forum posts Wales
11 Feb 2010 - 9:50 AM

We really need to watch out,or the Americans will buy it!!Then, we will look really stupid,after doing all the work on it!!
They tried to buy XM602,but did'nt,XH558 would be a dream come to for them!

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014794 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
11 Feb 2010 - 9:53 AM

I reckon if enough people care about the Vulcan, they will raise enough money to save it

simple really.

I saw it at Barton when I was little and it was impressive.... but I'd not really put it high on my list of priorities of things to "save", but I'd be glad if it were saved for other little kids to see.

collywobles
11 Feb 2010 - 11:13 AM

Quote: Which looks better .... a tiger in its natural habitat or stuffed in a museum

Not quite the same comparison. One is a magnificent beast the other is a pile of aluminium.

daviewat
daviewat  104104 forum posts Scotland
11 Feb 2010 - 12:01 PM

I guess it is a personal thing, me I would hate to see it de commisioned and grounded again as it is truly a magnificent flying machine and designed with slide rules etc and British.

But it must cost a fortune to keep, it does, and in todays world there is more needy things.

But then again do we need so many cruise missiles, first line strike aircraft, new nimrod versions !!!! that alone has cost the RAF tens of millions so far :-( or the likes of BAE stripping valuable monies from the likes of the RAF to the tune of some 300 million a year or so ???? No, so then the RAF could provide 3 million instead to the Vulcan Smile simples.

After all the red arrows cost in excess of 60 million a year to keep going !!!!!!!!!!!!!! imagine the outcry if the RAF decided to bin them ????????? Or the battle of britain memorial flight again a multi million investment from the raf and is that any more important or special than the Vulcan, I do not think so, others will disagree but its todays middle age generation have a larger affinity with Vulcan/Victor/Lightning etc that old wooden shackltetons and spitfires etc.

i know its not a RAF sponsperd venture and all private funding, but I think a few pounds from mis spendings by the MOD etc could be bettered by helping the Vulcan.

Last Modified By daviewat at 11 Feb 2010 - 12:03 PM
Just Jas
Just Jas  1225751 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
11 Feb 2010 - 12:37 PM

Quote: Quote:Which looks better .... a tiger in its natural habitat or stuffed in a museum

Quote: Not quite the same comparison. One is a magnificent beast the other is a pile of aluminium.

Agreed. The tiger can reproduce itself by breeding - if we leave it in peace.

A new generation replacing the old.

The Vulcan cannot, it will steadily grow older and older. There must come a time when it should be 'put down'

It has been replaced by new generation of aircraft.

Stuff it and put it in a museum.

Tangmere?

User_Removed
11 Feb 2010 - 1:31 PM

Sad indeed. A friend of mine 'owns' (sponsers) part of the of the Nav Inst kit on it. I'll ring him tonight - he'll be gutted.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 11 Feb 2010 - 1:33 PM
rossd
rossd  111061 forum posts England
12 Feb 2010 - 12:45 PM

Quote: or the likes of BAE stripping valuable monies from the likes of the RAF to the tune of some 300 million a year or so ?

Do please explain !!

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.