Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

The World's Most Expensive Camera !!

kombizz 9 591 1 United States
31 May 2011 6:35AM
The seventh chamber of the so-called 0-series Leica No. 107, has just been auctioned in West Licht Photographica Auction house for nothing less than 1,320,000 Euros or $1.9 million and change has become not only more expensive the camera manufacturer's Germany, but the world.
It was made in 1923, is the only Leica camera with the word Germany engraved on the top and was the first model to be exported.
Please watch it's auction here .
This is a good lesson for all of us not to dump our old film cameras as I still kept my very first camera, Lubitel.
I wonder if any of you have saved your old film cameras?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

66tricky 8 742 Scotland
31 May 2011 10:35AM
I have:

2 x Nikon F
Nikon F2
Olympus OM1, OM2n and OM4 (the poorest of the three)
Olympus XA
Rolleiflex T
Seagull TLR
De Vere 1/2 plate with 5x4 back
Burke and James folding tailboard 5x4
Zeiss Ikon Donata 1/4 plate with Rollex 6x9 back
Cosina CS1
GB Kershaw 6x6 folding with secret shutter release
Praktica L (IIRC)
Assorted Polaroid
and assorted others knocking about...
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
31 May 2011 2:53PM
A bit of advice, if you have an old rare camera, don`t put film through it.

I did this last year with one of mine, the film jammed and I snapped of the film advance lever on my old Mamiya 35-III I`m now locking at an expensive repair bill Sad
keithh e2
11 23.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
31 May 2011 3:07PM
Good advice, Paul.

I put some film in my Nikon old D1 last year. Couldn't get it to wind on and it jammed up the shutter.
kombizz 9 591 1 United States
31 May 2011 3:14PM
@ Paul
Thank you for the piece of advice.
pentaxpete 9 553 1 England
31 May 2011 5:10PM
Saved all my FILLUM Cameras -- so many now cannot put them all on here -- luckily a lot were GIVEN !! I was out at London Zoo yesterday with a FREE GIFT Canon A1 loaded with some FREE GIFT Fillum !
filmforever 7 695
31 May 2011 5:34PM
Some old film cameras are now virtually being regarded as antiques. But they only fetch top dollar if you don't use them!.....thereby keeping them in mint condition.
Having said that, even if you use them they still represent far and away better value than any of the digital stuff, which often depreciates faster than a new car, thanks to the manufacturers launching "new models" every 6 months or so.
My Nikon F, even though not in mint condition is still worth three times what I paid for it (s/h near mint) in 1979 (95.) FM2's seem to be appreciating in value, near mint examples going for more than what they cost new a few years back. Even the Contax SLR's which were discontinued some years back are holding or even increasing in value.
edtaylor 3 104 United Kingdom
31 May 2011 6:56PM
With a bit of luck then my old Mamiya 220 wil be worth a bit one day.
filmforever 7 695
31 May 2011 7:14PM
I'd hang onto it. My C330 and its Mamiya lenses give superb quality, and at a fraction of the price you'd pay for a top of the range digi. No battery worries either!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.