Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

The Zoo

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    SierraGulf1
    10 Jul 2010 - 4:19 PM

Hey all Hope your well! Smile

In the next few weeks i will be going to the zoo with my SLR for the first time has anyone got any great tips or links to tips that would help improve my pictures!

Thanks For your time

Adam

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    10 Jul 2010 - 4:19 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Pete
    Pete Site Moderator 1318433 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Jul 2010 - 4:30 PM

This should help you ...Zoo Photography
    Let me know if you have any questions

Jestertheclown
    10 Jul 2010 - 7:57 PM

My tip to you here is "go to the zoo as a photographer at the wedding of one of the keepers"!

rhino-and-me.jpg

Worked for me!

Jester.

Paintman
    Paintman e2 Member 7829 forum postsPaintman vcard United Kingdom172 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Jul 2010 - 10:29 PM

I don't think much of the Mother-in-LawTongue

Jestertheclown
    10 Jul 2010 - 10:35 PM

Quote: I don't think much of the Mother-in-LawTongue

I wish I'd thought to say that ! ! !

roxpix
    roxpix  102236 forum posts Scotland11 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Jul 2010 - 7:48 AM

As well as the sites own great article that Pete linked to above, I put up some of my own tips in my blog on here, some cover the same ground as the link above with a couple of other things thrown in

Last Modified By roxpix at 11 Jul 2010 - 7:48 AM
    cornish_chris
    11 Jul 2010 - 7:00 PM

If your aim is to do wild life pics a zoo is a good place to practise try to keep people and man made objects out of the frame. Chris..

Last Modified By Moderator Team at 11 Jul 2010 - 7:30 PM
    RickyRossiter
    24 Jul 2010 - 8:07 PM

I agree with Cornish chris i have visited many zoo's to photograph animals and the shot always looks alot better if you can make it seem like it is a natural setting for example it looks better when a Lion is scratching a tree rather than a post. Ricky

featuredteacher

If you find active animals, watch them through your lens for a long time. Most people point, shoot, look at thier screen dissapointadly and walk away! Spend some quality time waiting for the right opportunity to present itself. Patience, basically. I got a great picture of a playfight bewtween two red pandas after almost 15 minutes of watching them.

If you have a speicifc animal in mind, phone the zoo and ask them when that animal will be most active, or when they will be fed etc. Actually, the zoo might be able to give some generally useful information. Many animals, by the way, are active early in the morning and sleep/rest around lunch time (like spanish people Wink or in the evening, especially in hot climates, and around feeding time!

Also, tigers and lions are often very lazy. If you see a tiger, I reccomend sneaking in to the enclosure and poking him with a stick to make him more active.

Last Modified By featuredteacher at 27 Jul 2010 - 6:01 AM
    Overread
    Overread  63746 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Jul 2010 - 9:23 PM

Some keen photographers will also ask if they can get early entry into the zoo to do their photography. Zoos mostly don't seem to open till 9-10am but the staff will be in well before that preparing the site. Of course the larger the zoo the more chance that paperwork and red tape might get in your way - but try if you are keen. At best they say yes - midrange they might ask for shots that you take (technically most zoos retain commercail rights over photos taken on their private property anyway) and at worst they say no. A good raport with staff helps.

Davesumner
    25 Aug 2010 - 9:25 AM

Here is my tip, never go to a zoo intending to take pictures if you have non photographers with you. in my experience you'll need to do a lot of hanging around to get the right shots and they'll soon get bored with you.

Also, frame the shots so that the animals look like they're in the wild and not in a zoo. If there's a fence or bars in the way, get in close to it and use manual focus, the fence will magically disappear out of the shot. If it is a glass window then get your lens right up to it and don't use flash or you'll get lots of horrid reflections.

Hope this helps

DaVeS

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.