Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Theme: A Road and A Building - ends 8pm 9th March 2011

cattyal e2
9 6.4k 6 England
3 Mar 2011 8:44AM
Ok Weekly Black and White Group challenge time again.

This time Im giving you a broad choice all the image has to feature is a road/street and at least one building. Any location at all where you live, in town, industrial estates, absolutely anywhere. If you want to concentrate on an item ie. lamp-post, pillar box and have the rest out of focus thats fine just as long as the road and building can be seen.

All I ask however is that you switch your camera mode to black and white so that means no use of the optical viewfinder and lcd screen only so that youre not distracted by pretty colours and have to pay attention to shades of grey. Im hoping that at some point over the next week there will be some bits of sunshine to give some nice shadows, maybe a chunk of light coming through an alley with shadow either side a nice mix of light and dark.

Of course I shall have to trust you on this and yes, I know its generally considered better to convert from a colour file, but I want to concentrate the mind its quite an entertaining exercise.

As usual images to be taken and uploaded between now and 8pm on Wednesday 9th March 2011.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Andy_Cundell e2
3 1.1k 5 England
3 Mar 2011 11:22AM
A road and a building.................The first thing that comes to my mind is Stott Hall Farm on the M62 near Manchester/ Leeds in the UK! For Non UK residents, they built a motorway around the farm!

Stott Hall Farm
cattyal e2
9 6.4k 6 England
3 Mar 2011 11:28AM
Very neat to look at but I'd hate to live there!
Andy_Cundell e2
3 1.1k 5 England
3 Mar 2011 5:58PM
Now would you class the ocean as a road? It's a road for ships?
cattyal e2
9 6.4k 6 England
3 Mar 2011 6:03PM
and what would you class as a building in the middle of an ocean? an oil rig? Smile
Sandgrouse e2
8 407 1 United Kingdom
3 Mar 2011 6:28PM
What about a caravan is that a building Smile
cattyal e2
9 6.4k 6 England
3 Mar 2011 6:29PM
oh good grief Smile Next time I run a challenge (assuming there is a next time) I'm going to get you all to photograph a house brick Wink
jarendell e2
8 95 2 Spain
3 Mar 2011 7:06PM
Can it be flint instead of brick?x
Andy_Cundell e2
3 1.1k 5 England
3 Mar 2011 7:38PM
if its a brick from a shed, is that a house brick or a shed brick?
Lynx08 e2
6 1.2k England
3 Mar 2011 7:59PM
might have a go at this one!
Scutter e2
7 1.7k 6 United Kingdom
3 Mar 2011 10:26PM

Quote:If its a brick from a shed, is that a house brick or a shed brick?

ahh no; a shed brick is one that has fallen off a buildingTongueWink

I will really try hard to take part this week!!
cattyal e2
9 6.4k 6 England
3 Mar 2011 10:40PM
I can see total confusion arising out if this thread continues like this and who knows what entries will appear Smile

Anyway, I'm afraid I'm heading off to my bed - the journey to the meeting and back took longer than the meeting itself!
Sandgrouse e2
8 407 1 United Kingdom
3 Mar 2011 10:59PM

Quote:I can see total confusion arising out if this thread continues like this and who knows what entries will appear Smile

Does it have to be an 'A' road or can it be a B road, unclassified road or Motorway Tongue
Andy_Cundell e2
3 1.1k 5 England
4 Mar 2011 8:04AM

Quote:I can see total confusion arising out if this thread continues like this and who knows what entries will appear Smile

Does it have to be an 'A' road or can it be a B road, unclassified road or Motorway Tongue

LMAO! I can't believe I missed that one!
Andy_Cundell e2
3 1.1k 5 England
5 Mar 2011 4:33PM
So, I found the 'monochrome' setting on my D90, went out and took loads of photo's, came home, uploaded them on to the computer, went to open them in Photoshop and they all come out in colour!

I checked with live view that they were in B&W and after I took each photo!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.