Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Theme for week commencing October 31 - ending November 7

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Members Only

You must be logged in or registered to join a group
AnneWorner
AnneWorner e2 Member 6602 forum postsAnneWorner vcard United States41 Constructive Critique Points
3 Nov 2012 - 12:16 AM

Quote: The theme for this week is spiral - to be interpreted in any way you please

That`s handy Smile

yes, things don't have to be literal - that's what's good about interpretations.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
3 Nov 2012 - 12:16 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139385 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
3 Nov 2012 - 2:42 AM

My mind has gone into a spiral, trying to think of something! Wink

cattyal
cattyal e2 Member 95960 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
3 Nov 2012 - 8:57 AM

Quote: I'm still alive but haven't got anything done yet - but we've got until the 7th...

One comment I would make, though, is that perhaps having something like 'Weekly B&W Challenge - Week ending Nov 7th' or something as the thread heading may attract more attention - from the Weekly B&W Challenge members hopefully.

I usually use 'recent activity' to look at the forums. I rarely remember to go to my 'personal info' (or whatever it is) and look at groups, and in fact, it was some time before I even realised that sort of thing was even there (probably just age....). Seeing the (recently bumped) thread with Weekly B&W Challenge would perhaps wake people up a bit.

Pete

The thread does however appear in the recent activity (which is where I usually head straight to as well). Maybe just adjusting the title of the thread is all that is required to specify the group?

petebfrance
3 Nov 2012 - 11:09 AM

Quote: The thread does however appear in the recent activity (which is where I usually head straight to as well). Maybe just adjusting the title of the thread is all that is required to specify the group?

Yes, that's what I had in mind. Perhaps go further and include the subject, something like:
'Spiral - Weekly B&W Challenge etc. ' so that it looks a bit different every week.
Pete

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139385 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
3 Nov 2012 - 11:57 AM

Quote: Perhaps go further and include the subject, something like:
'Spiral - Weekly B&W Challenge etc. ' so that it looks a bit different every week.

I agree. It's easy to miss at the moment.

Jestertheclown
3 Nov 2012 - 12:11 PM

While some of you are paying attention!

There's been a query re. rule 6. The one about posting comments only after the challenge has been judged.
A perfectly innocent comment's been posted on one of the entries and an equally, perfectly innocent, query has been raised.
Does anyone have an opinion regarding whether or comments should be posted prior to he judging.
Do you think that they would/could cloud the judge's erm, judgement?
It's an interesting point and one that I'd never considered before.
Your views please.

Rule 6.

Carabosse
3 Nov 2012 - 12:16 PM

I think Anne's comment is relevant, viz:

Quote: Who really wants to go back and bother commenting afterwards?

Maybe we should just refrain from comment altogether?

AnneWorner
AnneWorner e2 Member 6602 forum postsAnneWorner vcard United States41 Constructive Critique Points
3 Nov 2012 - 12:18 PM

I see no reason to not post comments prior to judging. I know it isn't going to sway how I judge an image.

Also, if others don't like the idea of prior comments, maybe they could embrace the possibility of allowing the person judging for that week to leave a comment?

I must admit that when I recently joined this group and uploaded my first image one of the things I missed was a comment, any comment Tongue

I cannot see myself taking the time to to back and comment on photos after they have been judged. It is so much more efficient to do so when I get a notification of an upload.

Rules are not cast in stone, and if revision of rules leads to a better experience for group members, I think it should be discussed.

Thanks Brendan. Just getting some dialog going on this is a positive improvement imo Smile

AnneWorner
3 Nov 2012 - 12:21 PM

Quote: I think Anne's comment is relevant, viz:

Who really wants to go back and bother commenting afterwards?

Maybe we should just refrain from comment altogether?

Aww, CB, it's getting comments that people like - don't you like getting a comment or two?

Carabosse
3 Nov 2012 - 12:26 PM

Quote: don't you like getting a comment or two?

I don't mind in the least, but if some people think it affects the judging ( I'm not sure it does), then maybe we should consider whether not to?

AnneWorner
3 Nov 2012 - 12:31 PM

Quote: don't you like getting a comment or two?

I don't mind in the least, but if some people think it affects the judging ( I'm not sure it does), then maybe we should consider whether not to?

You know me, I'm always open for ideas, but how about letting the person judging at least make commentary if they choose to do so; I mean, hopefully the judge will not sway their own opinion Tongue

Carabosse
3 Nov 2012 - 12:47 PM

Easiest if any comments are ignored, I would say. Smile

cattyal
cattyal e2 Member 95960 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
3 Nov 2012 - 1:13 PM

Actually I've been doing these weekly challenges for ages and have never properly read the rules - oops Smile

I think we're all grown up enough not to let any comments sway us. As long as other rules are kept to ie. entering photos taken only after the challenge has been announced (which is where inclusion of exif info is useful of course) - then I'm happy to allow commenting whenever people want to.

(I'm useless at commenting across the board so don't want to hold back folks who are actually good enough to comment!)

petebfrance
3 Nov 2012 - 1:35 PM

My Exif info always has the wrong date as date / time are reset every time batteries are changed. The camera uses AA batteries and I got into the habit of not updating the date/time when I change batteries when I had some really poor rechargeables. Actually, it's a real pain to do it because batteries usually run out in the middle of doing something and I rarely know what the date and time are.....
Pete

cattyal
3 Nov 2012 - 1:41 PM

I have the same problem with the A350 - unless I'm really really quick changing batteries. I've learned to keep a calendar in most rooms of the house now as I never know what date it is when I reset them Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.