Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Theme for week commencing October 31 - ending November 7

Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
8 Nov 2012 3:15PM

Quote:Well done Paul. What's in store for us next week then . . . ?

I`ll add it shortly Smile

Quote:we don't know yet whether we'll be able to apply mods

What if you uploaded to your own portfolio first allowing mods, then add to the challenge, will it work that way.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Jestertheclown
6 6.6k 242 England
8 Nov 2012 3:26PM

Quote:What if you uploaded to your own portfolio first allowing mods, then add to the challenge, will it work that way.

Hi Paul,
I trust you're OK.
I see what you're getting at but I think that your idea would only work if you added the image to the challenge in the form of a link.
Another way, would be to use a forum thread for the mods., leaving the larger originals here although that would involve some messing about.
Let's see what those in high places have to say about our request.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
8 Nov 2012 3:33PM
How about I test it out.
AnneWorner e2
7 618 43 United States
8 Nov 2012 3:42PM
It should work, but I personally won't always upload an image to the gallery that I also upload to a group. Just a thought, especially if others also don't upload to the main gallery.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
8 Nov 2012 3:45PM
Just tested it and it works, but I can see your point.

I`ve now added a challenge Smile

http://www.ephotozine.com/forums/topic/theme-for-week-of-8th-november---14th-november-100130
JawDborn e2
2 795 1 England
8 Nov 2012 4:45PM
Thanks Anne and Bren. I'm new to mods, wouldn't know where to begin! Perhaps I'm a Rocker( and that surely dates me)

Regards to you both,

Jack
AnneWorner e2
7 618 43 United States
8 Nov 2012 5:01PM

Quote:Thanks Anne and Bren. I'm new to mods, wouldn't know where to begin! Perhaps I'm a Rocker( and that surely dates me)

Regards to you both,

Jack

Is that Rocker as in rocking chair or a rocker of the Elvis period? I'm close to the first option and definitely in the second category.

Mods are a great way to learn - download the person's image to your machine - hopefully work your magic Wink and reupload the modified image.
Jestertheclown
6 6.6k 242 England
8 Nov 2012 5:06PM

Quote:Mods are a great way to learn

I'll second that but unfortunately that avenue's only open if you're E2, in other words, a paying member.

As such, we can upload mods. by default.
I've put in a request that non-E2 members be allowed to use the mods. feature within the confines of the group.
Well, the two groups actually, I've requested it for the B/W group as well.
I did get a reply to my original request but I hadn't explained properly what I was asking, so it's had to be represented.

B.
wynn469 e2
5 72 Wales
9 Nov 2012 8:54AM
Is there a danger of over complicating things?
I like the idea we have a theme each week, the individual author interprets that theme and puts on an image.
Having been with out internet after a lighting for a day storm and looking at the form with 82 replies I am get a bit confuse with watts purposed.
9 Nov 2012 1:21PM

Quote:I like the idea we have a theme each week, the individual author interprets that theme and puts on an image.

I must admit it was nice and simple!
Tbh I can't understand why people want to change things and am happy with the current approach. However, if the majority (mmm - of active members? - of all members?) and / or the leader wish to change then I'll go along with it.
The idea of modifying other people's work, or for that matter putting up a crtique on it, does not really appeal to me. Unless somebody actually asks for help and I have any advice that I can offer with confidence (rare), then I prefer to see the photo as the person's ideas (and way of looking / seeing) and appreciate it for that. It's that 'difference' that does appeal to me.
If mods / critique are to be introduced I'd prefer them to be optional. Then if people actually want advice then will hopefully get it.......
Pete
AnneWorner e2
7 618 43 United States
9 Nov 2012 1:25PM
It's all about buzz - to keep momentum going, you need interaction. I think the amount of members that have left the group might attest to the fact that people like to comment, and to get comments.

Wrt modifications, if a person doesn't want them. They can opt out, just as they can in the general gallery.

As for complicated, I don't see this.

A weekly theme, a photo created after the theme is announced, comments, and if desired, modifications and critique.

What is the point of just uploading a photo here and not getting feedback and maybe learning something about what might make that image better?
User_Removed 2 155 2 South Africa
9 Nov 2012 2:04PM
I agreee - the point of participating i. these groups is surely to improve otherwise why bother to compare your work to others at all? I have the same complaint about tge daily challenge threads. No-one says boo or baaa and it has discouraged me from partipating. I like hearing what people do or don't like about a photo even when reading comments on other people's work it is informative and educational.
User_Removed 2 155 2 South Africa
9 Nov 2012 2:05PM
sorry am typing on phone = typos
JawDborn e2
2 795 1 England
9 Nov 2012 4:33PM
Whereas I appreciate you are a newcomer to the group, Bugsy, i've always understood that the whole point of this group was not for the purpose of improvement, or comparing images one with another, but to enjoy the challenge, enjoy taking the photos, perhaps have a bit of banter, and joyfully move on to the next challenge. I don't think anyone is really bothered who wins. Whereas i like a comment, it doesn't matter to me whether I get one or not. Many of the groups where comments are made have folded. If one wants a more serious B&W group, there's the excellent mono enthusiasts group. I do hope that we are not suddenly going to change the whole nature of the group.

Let us remember Ken's final remark: have fun.

If there's too much buzz, people might buzz off.
cattyal e2
9 6.4k 6 England
9 Nov 2012 4:40PM
I'm for keeping it simple ie. pretty much the way it's gone on since the group started. Comment if you want - request critique if you want (but don't expect to get it - the critique gallery is the place to go for 'proper' critique if required). I consider this group to be fun - an opportunity to seek out and try subject matter I'd not normally consider more than anything - that's the challenge bit for me.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.