Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Themed images

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    oldgreyheron
    oldgreyheron e2 Member 7124 forum postsoldgreyheron vcard United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Jun 2007 - 6:36 PM

Hello folks.

For the second time in my membership here I have been drawn personally to uploading a series of images on a particular theme. The first time was to do with a fisherman, and currently a piece of recent industrial archaeology. I wonder about the merits of themes such as this - the images appeal to a subset of EPZers, but the feedback is very encouraging. I wonder what others think.

Happy weekend, Mike

Last Modified By oldgreyheron at 29 Jun 2007 - 6:40 PM
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    29 Jun 2007 - 6:36 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Chant57
    Chant57 e2 Member 8371 forum postsChant57 vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Jun 2007 - 7:14 PM

Hi Mike
    I too have uploaded images on a theme, the most recent being my Life of a Poppy series. The other being a series of shots of architectural/textural/colour studies. At first I was hesitant, I wasnt sure if a series of shots would bore the viewers, as in "oh dear not another window/door/ poppy shot." That being said the feedback was very encouraging, and a lot of epzedders stuck with me through both series, and it is something I would definitely do again, when I can come up with another theme.

Happy weekend to you too!
    Chant

John_Humphreys
    29 Jun 2007 - 7:41 PM

It was a series of images called "Kathy's House" (I think) by a guy called "NDRAW" which first really attracted me to the site. Sadly, NDRAW doesn't post anymore. "Bliba" is another member who regularly puts up a series of images. I think series of themed images definitley have a place on the site. EPZ is sort of like 'Everyman's' opportunity to do the online equivalvent of a Sunday Times photo essay. John

Last Modified By John_Humphreys at 29 Jun 2007 - 7:47 PM
    oldgreyheron
    oldgreyheron e2 Member 7124 forum postsoldgreyheron vcard United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Jun 2007 - 12:16 PM

I like the photo essay concept John - it's a great way to think about a sequence of images. I liked Joline's sequence in the winter all about fishing through the ice in Maine. It had me returning to my favourites every day specifically to see what had happened next. I also think that the essay allows us the luxury of one or two images being less technically excellent (although we strive for that) because just about everyone here is perhaps even more encouraging and a little more understanding when there is clearly a story to be told.

So I wonder what I'll move on to next...
    Mike

Last Modified By oldgreyheron at 30 Jun 2007 - 12:23 PM
    kaybee
    kaybee  103767 forum posts Scotland24 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Jun 2007 - 12:53 PM

You will find that quite a few members do the 'essay' thing - but unless you are a follower of that member you will probably miss it.

pennyspike
    pennyspike  112068 forum posts United Kingdom29 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Jun 2007 - 2:14 PM

I too like the idea of themes, my recent UW images being an example.
    Like you I did worry a bit about becoming boring but responded to encouragement from the site.

Now we can use albums it is a really good way of putting themed shots together if they become separated by other uploads, but I have my doubts about how many people look at them.
    I also used the Showcase to put a series together and I notice one or two others have as well.
    Numerous people concentrate almost exclusively on flowers/animals/ birds and seem to attract interest in every shot they post.
    Perhaps it would be an idea to add the word 'theme' to the tags so they can be easily found. I guess a section would be best but I don't suppose they'd want another one added. You never knowWink

chrissd
    chrissd  8304 forum posts United Kingdom
    30 Jun 2007 - 2:29 PM

Hi Mike, I think they do have a place here, I think it is a very personal thing and whether people like the particular theme or not depends on the vote, i to really enjoyed Jolines winter story, it was so fascinating
    chris

randomrubble
    30 Jun 2007 - 2:49 PM

I think there's undoubtedly aplace for series, and the site can give you an indication of the strenght of the individual images which might help in editing the series.

pennyspike
    30 Jun 2007 - 6:12 PM

Thanks to Chris for highlighting Joline's portfolio.
    A very suitable topic for an album.

Joline
    Joline e2 Member 8Joline vcard United States51 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Jun 2007 - 9:17 PM

I really appreciate the fact that you enjoyed my "Ice Fishing" theme. I think it is fun to do themes from time to time and I always enjoy looking at other's, especially when there is a story unfolding, or even just different takes on the same subject like Bliba's or Mike's industrial archeology. I think it stretches our horizons to look at the same subject from several different perspectives.

andytvcams
    andytvcams  1110396 forum posts United Kingdom
    30 Jun 2007 - 9:29 PM

Nothing like a bit of fishing.

I would say Smile

pennyspike
    30 Jun 2007 - 9:43 PM

You cynic Andy.Smile
    For the record:-
    Joline knew nothing about this until I pmed her to ask whether she could put them into an album. In fact she didn't even realise that the facility for albums exists let alone a mention in this thread.
    I have noticed her work for the first time this evening, thanks to the forum.
    Why do you always assume that everybody else is fishing? Some of us appreciate a heads up to interesting stuffTongue

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.