Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

There are some nice people out there

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110227 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
24 Aug 2012 - 2:37 PM

I was going to put this in the "Happy Thread" but I'm darned if I can find it (been back to July and couldn't see it - what a grumpy bunch we must be! Grin ).

Last week I went to the Wakeboard Park in Basildon with the Grand-children to photograph them in action Kneeboarding (with strict instructions to shoot their "Wipeouts")

In between times I spotted a young lad putting on a pretty good show wakeboarding so asked his mum if she minded me shooting a few frames (and providing her with some if she liked them)

Long story short, she didn't and I did and she seemed very pleased with them.

This morning I had a very nice bottle of wine delivered with a big thank you from her, despite the fact that I told her I was happy to do it for my own enjoyment.

Makes a lovely change from all those events one hears about where a man with a camera is seen as a danger to the public (and cheered me up on a grey, wet day)

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
24 Aug 2012 - 2:37 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
24 Aug 2012 - 2:40 PM

That's a great story Brian. Perhaps the crucial thing is you asked for permission - even though legally you had no need to. A little courtesy in a age of paranoia goes a long way, I guess. The rest is a bonus - and a return of the courtesy. Smile

mikehit
mikehit  56298 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
24 Aug 2012 - 2:42 PM

Its wonderful when two strangers can make each other happy! Good on you, Brian.

It makes me wonder what sort of miserable gits run the news services that scares the hell out of people and makes them nervous of strangers.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
24 Aug 2012 - 2:44 PM

happy thread
Brian have you tried using the new search? It works Smile Small magnifier on the menu bar. Click it and type in what you're looking for - I typed "happy thread" If you're in the forums the main list will show relevant forums searches if not a blue bar appears on the left with the forums listed as one of the options where the search has been successful. This happy thread was second on the search results.

Good story too Smile

Last Modified By Pete at 24 Aug 2012 - 2:45 PM
brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110227 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
24 Aug 2012 - 2:48 PM

OK Pete, so you know where these things are - how do you expect an old dodder like me to even see that squitty little magnifying glass, let alone know what its for! Wink

Thanks for pointing it out though, I shall use it in future Smile

mdpontin
mdpontin  106016 forum posts Scotland
24 Aug 2012 - 2:52 PM

You need a magnifying glass to see the magnifying glass, Brian? Wink

MikeRC
MikeRC e2 Member 93489 forum postsMikeRC vcard United Kingdom
24 Aug 2012 - 4:08 PM

Unfortunately Brian, there is another side to this bowl of cherries.

I ride a bike and 3 times in the last 12 months, on a cycle track that I ride, less regularily than I would like, in view of the following, I have encountered this guy with 2 huge Rottweilers running free.
These dogs are as big as small pony's and this charming group takes up much of the path.

I never say anything and I never even look at the guy, I'm busy keeping my eyes on the dogs as I try to slide past,
...there's no way I'm 'gonna stop and get into conversation with this guy and his pets, but every time he shouts at me,"what's up with you mate ?" or "what's wrong with you?" to which I never reply.
....but I'm damned if I'm 'gonna apologise for being there.

This guy is trying to provoke me, to what I know not, all I can do is stay away from the area.

....trust me there are some not so nice people too.

Eastlands
Eastlands e2 Member 3649 forum postsEastlands vcard Northern Ireland3 Constructive Critique Points
24 Aug 2012 - 4:14 PM

People are often like the pets they own, he sounds like a real bitch.Wink

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64346 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
24 Aug 2012 - 4:31 PM

Hey, don't knock rottweillers Eastlands. My brother's had them all his life and they've been well trained and have all been brilliant dogs. No trouble at all. Blame the owner, not the dog.

Last Modified By SlowSong at 24 Aug 2012 - 4:31 PM
mikehit
mikehit  56298 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
24 Aug 2012 - 4:32 PM

Quote: Unfortunately Brian, there is another side to this bowl of cherries.

I ride a bike and 3 times in the last 12 months, on a cycle track that I ride, less regularily than I would like, in view of the following, I have encountered this guy with 2 huge Rottweilers running free.
These dogs are as big as small pony's and this charming group takes up much of the path.

I never say anything and I never even look at the guy, I'm busy keeping my eyes on the dogs as I try to slide past,
...there's no way I'm 'gonna stop and get into conversation with this guy and his pets, but every time he shouts at me,"what's up with you mate ?" or "what's wrong with you?" to which I never reply.
....but I'm damned if I'm 'gonna apologise for being there.

This guy is trying to provoke me, to what I know not, all I can do is stay away from the area.

....trust me there are some not so nice people too.

as I said....

Quote: It makes me wonder what sort of miserable gits run the news services that scares the hell out of people and makes them nervous of strangers.

Wink

Eastlands
Eastlands e2 Member 3649 forum postsEastlands vcard Northern Ireland3 Constructive Critique Points
24 Aug 2012 - 4:35 PM

Slowsong, the dogs can't help it, they are naturally aggressive, the owners who don't control them are mindless morons.

puertouk
puertouk  21063 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
24 Aug 2012 - 5:37 PM

This type of dog should be kept on a lead by law, shouldn't they? Why not report this person to the police. How many people have been attacked by these attack dogs and been either seriously injured or even killed. These types of dogs should not be allowed to be owned by the general public. They are bread to be vicious attack dogs. It's OK for people like slowsong to say they are great dogs, but the truth is, people have been badly injured or killed by these animals and have attacked family members without any warning.

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64346 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
24 Aug 2012 - 6:01 PM

Quote: Slowsong, the dogs can't help it, they are naturally aggressive, the owners who don't control them are mindless morons.

I've not noticed any aggression from my brother's dogs, ever. Even when wrestling with them.

Hali
Hali  344 forum posts Scotland
24 Aug 2012 - 6:41 PM

Quote: This type of dog should be kept on a lead by law, shouldn't they? Why not report this person to the police. How many people have been attacked by these attack dogs and been either seriously injured or even killed. These types of dogs should not be allowed to be owned by the general public. They are bread to be vicious attack dogs. It's OK for people like slowsong to say they are great dogs, but the truth is, people have been badly injured or killed by these animals and have attacked family members without any warning.

sorry to the OP as we're going off topic completely and spoiling the 'happy' thread but I could't let this pass.

there is no law that 'this type' of dog to be on a lead (other than the same law that applies to all dogs in certain places
Rottis were not bred as 'attack dogs' - they were originally a herding breed.
Yes, rottis are powerful and yes they have been poorly bred by some people to be aggressive but you can't tar all rottis with the same brush.
This is like saying all teenage boys are knife-wielding thugs...there have been far more problems with teenagers and knives than with rottis. In BOTH cases, providing they are properly bred and properly raised, they will cause no problems.

I'll get off my soap box now.

Eastlands
24 Aug 2012 - 6:41 PM

Quote: Slowsong, the dogs can't help it, they are naturally aggressive, the owners who don't control them are mindless morons.

I've not noticed any aggression from my brother's dogs, ever. Even when wrestling with them.

Yea, that is what I have heard from several owners being interviewed on television after their "friendly" dogs have mauled or done worse to innocent children.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.