Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

They really are taking the proverbial!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

50% OFF new PortraitPro 12, plus EXTRA 5% OFF code EPHZROS414
User_Removed
15 Aug 2012 - 7:06 PM

Quote: . If they get rid of you, then you have them for constructive dismissal.

That statement demonstrates an alarming ignorance of employment legislation and case law.

"Constructive dismissal" is when you choose to resign because you believe that the employer has made your continued employment untenable. If they sack you, your case, if any, would be for "unfair dismissal", certainly not "constructive dismissal". But both are notoriously difficult to prove to the satisfaction of a tribunal.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
15 Aug 2012 - 7:06 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

redsnappa
redsnappa  111881 forum posts United Kingdom
15 Aug 2012 - 7:27 PM

The school I work for were recently sued for £35,000 for using another photographers photos on their website without permission or payment..

cheddar-caveman
15 Aug 2012 - 7:29 PM

And did the photographer win?

Snapster
Snapster e2 Member 1100 forum postsSnapster vcard England
15 Aug 2012 - 8:57 PM

Cheddar,
I'm currently sitting next to a solicitor.
While this is not her area of work, she does make a few comments.
1. your previous manager sought your permission which you gave.
2. when you gave permission was money discussed? she assumes not as you mention "good free publicity".
This weakens your case against your employer.
You've known about the situation for sometime, this also weakens your case, but at least a discussion and an offer was made to you.
You can however argue that the use of your photos has changed from their original use, which helps you case.
I assume you can prove you took the pictures beyond reasonable doubt?
She thinks it's a grey area but you can at the least claim a reasonable amount or ask for the pictures to be withdrawn.
However she thinks giving permission and then changing your mind weakens your case.
If an agreement was made to just show the pictures for a limited time or only in a certain area or format etc that would help you.

Good Luck

thewilliam
15 Aug 2012 - 9:26 PM

Verbal permission to use pictures isn't worth the paper it's written on, for either party. Savvy professional photographers always make sure that usage permission is set out in writing.

All this is useful for next time. This time, I suspect your best course of action is to utter some choice Anglo-Saxon words and move on.

mikehit
mikehit e2 Member 45779 forum postsmikehit vcard United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
16 Aug 2012 - 8:38 AM

Quote: Verbal permission to use pictures isn't worth the paper it's written on

An interesting concept Wink

Last Modified By mikehit at 16 Aug 2012 - 8:38 AM
macroman
macroman  1115312 forum posts England
16 Aug 2012 - 7:31 PM

A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it's written on. Usually attributed to Samuel Goldwyn.

User_Removed
16 Aug 2012 - 8:03 PM

Quote: A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it's written on. Usually attributed to Samuel Goldwyn.

Who is also attributed with "A contract signed on the casting couch is worthless once you put your knickers back on."

mikehit
mikehit e2 Member 45779 forum postsmikehit vcard United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
16 Aug 2012 - 8:38 PM

Ah, such an enlightened time.

Last Modified By mikehit at 16 Aug 2012 - 8:39 PM
thewilliam
17 Aug 2012 - 11:11 AM

Is this the company that sacked all the staff who were over 65 so that they wouldn't get caught out when the retirement age was abolished?

cheddar-caveman
17 Aug 2012 - 11:17 AM

Good memory thewilliam! The very same!

thewilliam
17 Aug 2012 - 3:15 PM

Seriously, what do you expect from them?

Isn't this thread just like a complaint about a cricket match getting rained off during the monsoon season?

cheddar-caveman
12 Sep 2012 - 10:14 AM

It just got more interesting. Our shop has just started selling postcards of one of my images Sad. I wonder where they will appear next? Apart from the funny side, I do think it time somebody, somewhere paid me for all this usage (but I still want to keep my job for the time being!).

User_Removed
12 Sep 2012 - 10:35 AM

I think this is getting more serious CC. Selling postcards does seem a bit more significant than just casually using an image on a website or hanging it on a wall.

I take it that your relationship with "the management" has deteriorated beyond the stage where the issue can be resolved by informal discussion. That being so, it remains a pretty straightforward choice between getting nasty with them or maintaining good working relations. It can really only be your call.

cheddar-caveman
12 Sep 2012 - 10:55 AM

I have been in touch with several solicitors and they all say that I certainly have a case for infringement of my copyright and that Longleat must/should have bought a license for this sort of repeated use. They also say that this can be claimed up to five years after the event so I am thinking that firstly I am going to once again write to them and offer them a full license for my original asking price and if that fails I'll wait until I no longer wish to work there, after all, at 74 it probably won't be five years in the future!

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.