Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Things that annoy you photographically!

Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
29 Aug 2014 3:24PM
Well this should turn out to a hot bed of opinions and views, but here's your chance to vent your spleen however you see fit. However, lets not turn it into a mud slinging match against individuals or complaints about how EPZ is managed etc!

Things that annoy you within the spectrum of photography/videography?

So here's one to get the ball rolling and one that irritates me no end. Why is it that TV cameramen have no idea how to film horizontally, by this I mean I could be watching a show where a presenter is saying his piece to camera in front of what maybe a wonderful landscape scene behind him/her, but it's completely ruined because the cameraman hasn't checked his level and the whole horizon is completely on the skew. It's a small thing I know but you get the idea?

Right off you all jog, have fun and play nicely! Smile

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

29 Aug 2014 3:26PM
On the subject of cameramen... Reading Festival. I did not manage to go this year. But the BBC cameramen have no idea how to cover it! I do not want to see the crowd, or the people being crushed up against the fence... I want to see the band!
What if the photographers took one pic of the band, then all the rest was of the people watching them, or the sky.... Grrrr

Andy
SlowSong e2
6 4.6k 29 England
29 Aug 2014 3:35PM
Some of the camera work on the Grand Prix is rubbish. You get a close up of a couple of cars trundling around at the back while there's a real cut-throat tussle going on just out of shot and you get there too late to see the action. Really annoys me. Something similar, on Strictly the camera will often be focussed on some close up of the audience or the feet, when what you really want to see is the entire couple as they move around the floor. Grrrrr.
Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
29 Aug 2014 3:39PM

Quote:Some of the camera work on the Grand Prix is rubbish.

That's more to do with the poor direction/but you're right it's another bug bear of mine Sad
saltireblue e2
4 4.1k 26 Norway
29 Aug 2014 3:44PM

Quote:Something similar, on Strictly the camera will often be focused on some close up of the audience, when what you really want to see is the entire couple as they move around the floor.

People watching is more interesting than seeing a couple of focus-seeking so-called celebrities.TongueSmile
saltireblue e2
4 4.1k 26 Norway
29 Aug 2014 3:46PM

That's more to do with the poor direction/but you're right it's another bug bear of mine Sad

One of the best things about the annual coverage of Le Tour (de France) is the excellent camerawork. From motorbike, helicopter and car.
Niknut e2
4 673 64 United Kingdom
29 Aug 2014 3:47PM
The only thing that niggles me, is why camera companies never ask what people actually want in their cameras !!!!

Instead of adding 'gizmo's' & stuff that most people would never use, & pay for it !!; .......then hoping their product
will sell to the masses.........analyse what the buyer actually wants in a camera, & give 'em the right product !!!

I hate having to pay for facilities that I never use !!!!!!!.......Grrrrrrrrr !!!!!.Sad

OK, rant over now !!.......'cos I know it'll never happen !!Wink
SlowSong e2
6 4.6k 29 England
29 Aug 2014 3:47PM

Quote:People watching is more interesting than seeing a couple of focus-seeking so-called celebrities.

But if you want to watch the whole dance you can't see what's happening if all you get is close up shots of heads, feet, audience etc.
MalcolmS e2
9 1.1k 13 England
29 Aug 2014 3:48PM
What really annoys me is a siituation like that at the end of a match at Wimbledon where as the players approach one another to congratulate/commisserate the camera cuts away to the crowd. When the camera cuts back the initial moment has gone.
saltireblue e2
4 4.1k 26 Norway
29 Aug 2014 3:52PM

Quote:People watching is more interesting than seeing a couple of focus-seeking so-called celebrities.
But if you want to watch the whole dance you can't see what's happening if all you get is close up shots of heads, feet, audience etc.

Who wants to watch the dancing?Grin
Sorry, Chris...Strictly leaves me cold, no matter how they film it. I'd rather get out on the dance floor myself and have a real good time.Smile
SlowSong e2
6 4.6k 29 England
29 Aug 2014 3:53PM
I thought this was a discussion about what annoys us about photography/camerawork. Whether you like dancing or not is irrelevant.
arhb e2
7 2.4k 68 United Kingdom
29 Aug 2014 4:09PM

One of the best things about the annual coverage of Le Tour (de France) is the excellent camerawork. From motorbike, helicopter and car.

I aggre.
I only wish that the commentators didn't continually contradict themselves, due to commentating for the sake of talking.
Yes I know it's not photography based, but I needed to say this Smile
SlowSong e2
6 4.6k 29 England
29 Aug 2014 4:19PM
To be fair though, it's up to the Director as to what shots you see on tv. He has a feed from many cameras and chooses the shots, so I don't blame the cameramen too much. They're just presenting options.
lemmy 7 2.0k United Kingdom
29 Aug 2014 4:39PM

Unfortunately the BBC uses the feed and direction from the country where the race is coming from. Obviously you couldn't have every country using its own cameras and feeds. So when you're watching the tail enders it's probably because someone from that country is in there.

Everyone imagines the commentators choose what to watch but it ain't so. Which doesn't make it any less annoying.
lemmy 7 2.0k United Kingdom
29 Aug 2014 4:52PM
What annoys me most is endless super sharp shots, creamy water on waterfalls and sea, moody dark/ beautiful cloudy/ deep blue....artificial skies....tweaked colours...aargh!

At a time when it is possible to do anything with an image in post production, as with CGI in films, it gets over-used to a point where it just becomes part of the background noise. Are photographers still really impressed by super - often over - sharp pictures?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.