Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Things that annoy you photographically!

ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
29 Aug 2014 4:58PM
people blaming HDR for horrendously processed images

don't blame the knife if you stab yourself in the foot

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

themak e2
1 159 Scotland
29 Aug 2014 5:01PM
Seasonal one. Big round bales in rows in a field. Stop it - it's been done.
hobbo e2
3 892 2 England
29 Aug 2014 5:11PM
MilkyWater!...........AAAAAAAARGH! :-(

That single lonely hawthorn tree on the Stone Pavement in Yorkshire......the tripod hoes must be a metre deep by now. Wink

Hobbo
CaptivePhotons e2
11 1.6k 2 England
29 Aug 2014 5:37PM
The inability of every single camera I have owned to record that Pulitzer prize winning shot that I see when I put the viewfinder to my eye.

I must be unlucky, I guess. Tongue
JJGEE
9 6.4k 18 England
29 Aug 2014 5:41PM

Quote:The inability of every single camera I have owned to record that Pulitzer prize winning shot that I see when I put the viewfinder to my eye.

There is always a tomorrow Wink
themak e2
1 159 Scotland
29 Aug 2014 6:08PM
Being a bit obsessive about horizontal horizons in my own stuff, I'd agree with the OP that TV pros should get such basics right.
29 Aug 2014 7:00PM

Quote:MilkyWater!...........AAAAAAAARGH! :-(

That single lonely hawthorn tree on the Stone Pavement in Yorkshire......the tripod hoes must be a metre deep by now

Quote:Seasonal one. Big round bales in rows in a field. Stop it - it's been done.

Photographers who complain about other people's photos when somewhere in their back catalogue they have the self-same pics Wink
themak e2
1 159 Scotland
29 Aug 2014 7:06PM

Quote:Photographers who complain

Correct. Is that not the point?
SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
29 Aug 2014 7:20PM
I'll shrivel and burn for this, but I've looked at so many old photographers' works and read so many books and have often thought that I could have or have taken as good, or better, photographs but because photography is not new any more our images don't have the same cache as they used to. I'm not talking about the fab studio work or original modern work, but the bog standard, everyday street stuff. A lousy old out of focus, or dark, dingy photo is lauded as a great work, and those modern photographers who are business savvy and have contacts get it all out there, but some ordinary hobbyists will never get any recognition because there's just so much work given plaudits on various photo websites that are by invite only. They really piss me off, it's so cliquey - to coin a well known phrase or saying.

Shoot me down, I'm prepared. I know the answers/reasons anyway, but it adds to the discussion.
29 Aug 2014 7:33PM
The persistent use of slow shutter speeds to blur moving water, it is totally overdone. Very artistic and it has produced some wonderful images, but it's time for a change.
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
29 Aug 2014 8:00PM
No offence Norman, but it's all new to many of us. You went through your learning stages till you became an expert, and get bored with it all, now it's our turn. We could say the same thing about sunsets, sunrises, landscapes, birds on sticks, Lake Louise, the Grand Canyon, and the list goes on and on. We all tend to forget that it was all new to us at one time also. We need to be more tolerant of what's new to others, and if we critique it, do it on the merits of the individual images, not on whether we're sick and tired of seeing that type of image. Remember, everything is new to somebody.Grin
29 Aug 2014 8:05PM

Quote:Correct. Is that not the point?

Indeed, which is why I did
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
29 Aug 2014 8:27PM
There are so many things that I have yet to do in photography; HDR, focus stacking, drops of liquid, and the list goes on forever, and I won't be discouraged by threads like this. I shoot for my own enjoyment and if you don't like what I post, that's too bad, it wasn't done for you in the first place.

Having said that, I have seen enough images to be aware when I'm shooting something similar, I try to do it my way, I don't think I've ever consciously copied someone else's image. In most cases one can come up with a credible version of overdone icons. Lake Louise is probably one of the most photographed tourist spots in the world, they're almost all alike, one is drawn to the spot in front of the Chateau, which is perfect for a shot of the lake with the glacier at the far end. There are millions of shots from that spot in magazines, brochures, on postcards, chocolate boxes, in photo albums all over the world. However, one of your landscape pros came over here and took some shots from a spot one would have a hard time getting to, and it is fabulous, it breaks the chain of same old same old of photos of this famous old icon. I saw him boarding his flight at the airport in Calgary, huge camera over his shoulder, and it seemed no time after, his Lake Louise image showed up in a British photo mag I used to buy. I studied that shot, not to try and copy it, but to try and figure out how he came up with the idea in the first place. He had a regular page in the mag every month; say his name and I'll recognise it. My respect for his work shot through the roof after that one.
Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
29 Aug 2014 9:02PM
No one was trying to discourage anybody, it was a post so everyone could have a light hearted rant, lets keep it that way guys Grin
rhol2 e2
3 320 1 United Kingdom
29 Aug 2014 9:23PM
I'm with those who dislike big bales and milky waterfalls.Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.